COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

sknguy

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

The first photo in that album shows a hill cresting between what I believe are turns 6 and 7. Lookin' good. To be honest I'm really, really likin' both the elevation changes and the locations of those changes on the circuit. My guess is the drivers are gonna to have a blast there. It'll be easy to forget it's quite a technical circuit.

hairy_scotsman

sknguy wrote:
The first photo in that album shows a hill cresting between what I believe are turns 6 and 7. Lookin' good. To be honest I'm really, really likin' both the elevation changes and the locations of those changes on the circuit. My guess is the drivers are gonna to have a blast there. It'll be easy to forget it's quite a technical circuit.
You're talking about this one, right? That's turn 10, shot from just above turn 11. I agree that it will be a helluva fun and demanding circuit.

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Pup
Pup

WilliamsF1 wrote:Track maintenance building?

Is it an illusion, or is there a structure going up in the amphitheater?

Time for a new aerial, I think.

sknguy

hairy_scotsman wrote: You're talking about this one, right? That's turn 10, shot from just above turn 11. I agree that it will be a helluva fun and demanding circuit.
That's a little disappointing actually. From that higher angle T10 looks tighter than the higher speed kink I thought it would be. Darn.

strad

Should be ~3.5 hours or so.
Grrrrrrrrrrr
Oh well...didn't particualrly want to see them....I woulda thought Texans drove faster than that.
At least I think I can rest assured it will be finished in time.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:
Should be ~3.5 hours or so.
Grrrrrrrrrrr
Oh well...didn't particualrly want to see them....I woulda thought Texans drove faster than that.
At least I think I can rest assured it will be finished in time.
That's 3.5 hours for the typical person. Probably between 2.5 & 3 for me. Maybe for you too?

hairy_scotsman

sknguy wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote: You're talking about this one, right? That's turn 10, shot from just above turn 11. I agree that it will be a helluva fun and demanding circuit.
That's a little disappointing actually. From that higher angle T10 looks tighter than the higher speed kink I thought it would be. Darn.
In the initial design, 8 & 9 were not nearly as tight, more like a continuation of the esses, so more speed was carried across the hill to 10. I don't think the FIA cared for it.

strad

I'm thinking it's about 150 miles..maybe two hours?
What's the speed limit there abouts..Been a long time but I don't remember the cops being too bad on minor speeding.
I like to run about 80 that's where she cruises best.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

A lot of the percieved tightness of 10 is the foreshortenning from the telephoto.

New photos from CotA - lots of paving and the glass is starting to go in...
Construction at Circuit of The Americas moves closer to completion as the placement of asphalt continues around the track and the first layer of surface from Turns 1 – 5 and Turns 18 – 20 is applied. The Access Tunnel that leads to the Paddock Area is finished and paved. The Medical Center is almost finished with only work on the ceiling and windows to go.

Meanwhile, progress at the Pit Building is well under way; window installation and painting has started and should be completed soon.

In the coming weeks, paving will continue between Turns 5 and 10 while the Main Grandstand is completed.

FW17

T8 looks a lot sharper from that angle.

Ray

I really wish that this race was in my budget. :cry: I'd love to see this race and these pictures only give me a sense of "damn!" because I won't get to go. It looks like it'll be a great track and progress seems to be moving along nicely.

hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote: T8 looks a lot sharper from that angle.
You're right. It is. The layout has changed a couple of times in the 8-9-10 area since then.

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote: T8 looks a lot sharper from that angle.
You're right. It is. The layout has changed a couple of times in the 8-9-10 area since then.

Do you have access to the latest :D

Actually from this shot it looks almost the same as the layout, only the short straight between 9 and 10 looks shorter (maybe coz of the angle of the shot and elevation change)

FW17

Circuit of The Americas™ is proud to announce the members of the Circuit Events Host Committee™. More than 50 community leaders from Central Texas have joined together to serve as the Circuit Events Host Committee (CEHC) in preparation for the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX™ on Nov. 16-18. Members include leaders in business, government, nonprofit organizations, academia and the public sector.

strad

I think the closest I'll get to Texas this year is to watch Asleep at the Wheel at the grand opening in town next week of a large car museum . I'd like to go because I think the track looks great and I would like to see these cars before we go to....whatever it is we are going to go to.
Sir Stirling Moss