Is South Korean GP cancelled? Who would replace it?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Is South Korean GP cancelled?

A1 ring is a borefest circuit
More could have been done.
David Purley

ESPImperium

gilgen wrote:
hecti wrote:A1 ring!!
A1 ring is in a mess at present. Red Bull own it and are to redevelop it for F1 use.
Good choice, but be prepaired to splurge $100million+ to get it to F1 spec, the pits need a new building, the race surface needs wholy replacing at large, gravel traps need to be replaced by tarmac run offs in areas and tyre barriers need to be totally rebuilt. Thats not to mention the grand stands need replaced and the grass needs to be cut.

That track is a mess, but Red Bull are intending to spend money on it starting next year so they can bring DTM, F2/WTCC and posibly FIA GT1 to it in 2013 or 14.

F1 has been and gone from the track as its too small now, the lap time would have to find between 11 and 14 seconds extra for it to meet a decent F1 track size for a permanent facility.

My vote is Fuji. Second would be Magney Cours and third would probably be a unlikley trac in Le mans Bugatti for something a little more interesting.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

My preference would be:

1. Imola,
2. 2nd race at Spa
3. Nurburgring

Or a wildcard track - a street race round Aberdeen. I have it all worked out for that one! :lol:

gibells

Re: Is South Korean GP cancelled? Who would replace it?

Man I watched a bit of the world touring cars race around the Portimao circuit this weekend and I was blown away by turn 15. Love to be able to see what an F1 car could do around there. It a medium/fast right hander over a crest. The suspension goes a little light, and the cars do a lovely 4 wheeled drift before regaining traction. Looks super. If there ever was a circuit to stand-in for Korea, or possibly take over the European GP it would be this one.

siskue2005

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:A1 ring is a borefest circuit
completely disagree
it maynot be the best of the best tracks like spa etc
but it sure is a special track.....and i have never seen a borefest race there...
and its fantastic to drive in that circuit in rfacotr =D>

Roland Ehnström

Algarve would be awesome...

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

The A1 circuit is fantastic and it is in a picturesque setting.

Magny Cours is the favorite to be the replacment circuit and I read yesterday that it is close to getting back on the calender.

Bernie, incase you are reading this, the offer of a street circuit around Aberdeen is still open. :mrgreen:

ESPImperium

A1 Ring never failed to have something to talk about after a race there. The only thig is that its now too small for a F1 race, as the lap time in a current F1 car wouldnt be too far off the 1:05.000 mark but thats just in a simulation. The track there needs to be revived, lengthened and made up to F1 class again. The only problem they have is that the local environmental lobby and council/government has effective hold over the track and what goes on there.

Magney Cours is a spectacular track, needs a slight adjustment if the land is avalable, and a new pit complex, and better track access, a couple of hotels as well and id say its back on the callander. God how i miss the Adalade Hairpin for overtaking!!!

Algarve is a track im not quite sold on, its too follow-my-leader for my likes.

Nurburgring will have a GP next year as it holds the rights to the German GP on a by-yearly basis for cost reasons with Hockenhiem.

Motorland Aragon would also be a potential track, but the thing is that track is up to spec to hold F1 tests only, no races.

Imola would be my bet for a European venue, its up to spec (i think) and the fact its a track with history (good and bad) and the fact its ready to go at any moment.

Hoewver if Korea is cancelled, id go to Fuji, give those crazy Japaneese fans a second race, they deserve it, and the track has the access and facilities avalable. The only variable with them is their weather, 2007 anyone???

Adia is another track that id like to see F1 back at for a once only as well, however, heres a track that not many think about, the 4.8km Twin Ring at Motegi??? Okay the facilities may be a bit of a problem, but c'mon, who wouldnt want to see any of the current cars at full bore down one of the 4 straights there that all have overtaking opertunities at the end, especially the back straight that has that downhill braking zone at the end of it???

Shrek

I almost forgot about Twin Ring, that would be kind of cool.
Spencer

gibells

I had a conversation with family living out in Hong Kong, and the feeling over there is not IF there's a war between North & South Korea, but WHEN. Could kick off quite soon, and if that was the case and I was Bernie, I wouldn't want my show going anywhere near the place.

Dukeage

Facilities wouldn't be too much of an issue for Motegi. Even factoring in traffic it has a higher spectator capacity than Bahrain or Abu Dhabi (a measly 50,000 each), and has hosted MotoGP (and appears to be one of the better tracks there).

WhiteBlue

Report@Pitpass wrote:With construction of the Korea International Circuit (KIC) on schedule for its August completion, the Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) has welcomed the FIA's F1 race director and safety delegate Charlie Whiting for a site inspection. Whiting's visit comes ahead of the inaugural Korean Grand Prix on October 24.

Korea Automobile Racing Association (KARA) Chairman, FIA Formula One Commission member and KAVO Chairman, Yung Cho Chung hosted Whiting for the scheduled visit during which he examined the facilities and the track, including the completed race control tower, the main grandstand, the pit garages, and the 5.615km track.

Whiting made a detailed inspection of the facility and was briefed on the construction schedule, after which he expressed his satisfaction with the progress. The next inspection is scheduled for the end of August.
The race seems to be on track.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Chaparral

They failed the track inspection :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TEvacFETvM
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

Super racing

Provocation? the articles says "in response to joint US-South Korean military exercises this weekend"

Looking at the track it seems it will be great for racing, but no ashphalt has been laid down yet.