Driver styles/preferences

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo
timbo

Re: Driver styles/preferences

raymondu999 wrote:Anybody catch on TV what said trick was?
Pretty certain it deals with that fiddly chicane section.
But he looked very frustrated after the qualifying.

mikekx102

ok so instead of making a thread about this (but the posts in this one have been removed), drivers use the left foot for braking dont they? so they can have faster reaction times?

raymondu999

timbo wrote:
It definitely would be the chicane. My question was more of whether or not anyone saw what he did differently.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:
timbo wrote:
It definitely would be the chicane. My question was more of whether or not anyone saw what he did differently.
Well, maybe if we had a collection of his onboard laps, we could see something...

timbo
timbo

mikekx102 wrote:ok so instead of making a thread about this (but the posts in this one have been removed), drivers use the left foot for braking dont they? so they can have faster reaction times?
Yeah, they left foot brake. It's sorta to get faster reaction time, but more in a sense of diminishing time between releasing the throttle and applying the brakes, which can be done simultaneously if you left foot brake. Also, sometimes they can use a partial throttle/partial brake to balance the car, although this is rare on modern cars.

raymondu999

Tamburello wrote:Some commentators, chief amongst them Peter Windsor, speak of another dichotomy in styles: reactionary vs manipulative.

In the reactive category he places the likes of Vettel, Alonso (and presumably though he hasn't said it himself AFAIK, Senna) and in the latter group Hamilton (he has a crush on this character!), Raikkonen, Schumacher, Moss and Clark.

Could somebody elaborate on this categorisation.
I've finally found the words I wanted to describe the way I understand this dichotomy.

Reactive, in my view - is, well... reactive. You push in a corner, and then if you go off, the next lap you back off - or you might even trail brake on the spot to react to the mistake. Manipulative drivers, based on what I understand, are those who "predict" the grip with what they feel.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:I've finally found the words I wanted to describe the way I understand this dichotomy.

Reactive, in my view - is, well... reactive. You push in a corner, and then if you go off, the next lap you back off - or you might even trail brake on the spot to react to the mistake. Manipulative drivers, based on what I understand, are those who "predict" the grip with what they feel.
Umm...
I think usually it used to describe something different. Windsor IMO uses these terms to divide drivers which sort of follow the car, vs ones who make the car do what they want.

raymondu999

timbo wrote:follow the car
You mean reacting to it?
make the car do what they want.
You mean predicting the grip and going with that predicted grip?

Same meaning mate :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:
timbo wrote:follow the car
You mean reacting to it?
But not on lap after lap basis. Each moment.
raymondu999 wrote:
make the car do what they want.
You mean predicting the grip and going with that predicted grip?
Not quite, more like making the car grip the way they want.

raymondu999

So if any of you subscribe to F1 Racing, there's a fantastic piece in there where Brembo Performance director Mauro Piccoli talks about the drivers as brakers. Brembo AFAIK supplies Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, Sauber, McLaren(?) and Toro Rosso.
Lewis Hamilton - He's pretty hard, very quick on and off the brakes and he releases quickly. It's not the best way, as to be effective under braking you need to introduce the car at the right speed. But he's mastered that: he learned it in GP2 when tyres were high-grip.

Jenson Button - Drivers now are more focused on modulation. Jenson is less hard, but very good during release. His modulation is a bit like ABS, which helps him a lot in low-grip conditions. The bleed-off effect has assumed increasing importance.

Sebastian Vettel - His style is extremely similar to that of Alonso. Both have mastered introducing the car into the corner at the right speed at the right directionality. They also have similar feel requirements and sympathetic material usage.

Nico Rosberg - He is very similar to his team-mate Lewis Hamilton, which is probably because they were both competing in GP2 at the same time.

Mark Webber and Michael Schumacher - These two have very similar styles - both being ultra-hard, physical brakers.

Robert Kubica - He braked really, really hard. And he had short pedal travel. His brakes were always either on or off.
Interestingly it seems to allude that Alonso and Vettel have very similar styles and requirements from a car. It would be very interesting to see them both in the same car, on that basis, because it alludes that a Vettel-Alonso superteam would mean a clear development direction. Interestingly it says that Nico and Hamilton are the same too, which would be very interesting to see developing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jamsbong
jamsbong

raymondu999 wrote:
Sebastian Vettel - His style is extremely similar to that of Alonso. Both have mastered introducing the car into the corner at the right speed at the right directionality. They also have similar feel requirements and sympathetic material usage.
At least at the brake and turn-in phase, both of them are similar. This means they are the fastest on the 1st half of a corner...
I wonder if they are both in a RedBull, who will get more purple sectors? Seems like Kimi and SV love to collect fastest laps, pole, etcs. However, I feel that Alonso is more about making sure he wins and collect points.

Did F1 Racing say anything about Kimi's braking???

raymondu999

No, that was it.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm24_eAy3pc[/youtube]
Reposted from Mercedes car thread.
Interesting that Rosberg seems to have higher lock.

Overdriving
Overdriving

raymondu999 wrote:So if any of you subscribe to F1 Racing, there's a fantastic piece in there where Brembo Performance director Mauro Piccoli talks about the drivers as brakers. Brembo AFAIK supplies Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, Sauber, McLaren(?) and Toro Rosso.
Lewis Hamilton - He's pretty hard, very quick on and off the brakes and he releases quickly. It's not the best way, as to be effective under braking you need to introduce the car at the right speed. But he's mastered that: he learned it in GP2 when tyres were high-grip.

Jenson Button - Drivers now are more focused on modulation. Jenson is less hard, but very good during release. His modulation is a bit like ABS, which helps him a lot in low-grip conditions. The bleed-off effect has assumed increasing importance.

Nico Rosberg - He is very similar to his team-mate Lewis Hamilton, which is probably because they were both competing in GP2 at the same time.

Mark Webber and Michael Schumacher - These two have very similar styles - both being ultra-hard, physical brakers.

Robert Kubica - He braked really, really hard. And he had short pedal travel. His brakes were always either on or off.
Interestingly it seems to allude that Alonso and Vettel have very similar styles and requirements from a car. It would be very interesting to see them both in the same car, on that basis, because it alludes that a Vettel-Alonso superteam would mean a clear development direction. Interestingly it says that Nico and Hamilton are the same too, which would be very interesting to see developing.
Interesting, thanks. Was it in May's issue?

Sevach
Sevach

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuLL9Jv5grg[/youtube]

I gotta say WOW to the way Rosberg absolutely nailed St.Devote (T1) in this slow motion replay you can really see how the car is dancing on the limit there using absolutely every inch of track.

Lewis apparently does a better job of using the curbs to turn the car on both the Nouvelle chicane and the Piscine (part 2).