Driver styles/preferences

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mcalex
mcalex

Re: Driver styles/preferences

"the return of the real Kimi, by Peter Windsor, for F1 Racing October 2007."

Anyone willing to share this article ? Thanks in advance , Alex

mnmracer
mnmracer

Mark Webber wrote:“Sebastian has done a phenomenal job. I think the blown floor was very powerful for him – he’s a master of slow-speed corners, anyway, and on top of that he made the blown floor work better than I did, end of story.

“He’s very, very good with engine-mapping and tyres, and OK on aerodynamic work, too. Only a couple of weeks ago I watched the Singapore race on television for the first time: he was two and a half seconds quicker than anyone, and he had Nico, Fernando, Lewis and me behind him – it wasn’t as though he was racing a bunch of muppets! OK, it wasn’t always like that, but at some races he was exceptional.

“I always thought Fernando was the best, and I still do – on Sundays. On one lap, though, I think Seb’s got him covered – and I’m taking in terms of preparation, not just pace…

“Seb’s strengths, as we know, are escaping at the start, and running in clean air… He’s like a computer, isn’t he? His only weakness was always fast corners.”
Mark Webber on Sebastian Vettel's style, strengths and weaknesses.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

not another vettel fanboyism for crying out loud
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

raymondu999

Manoah2u wrote:not another vettel fanboyism for crying out loud
It's a quote from the latest Motorsport magazine from Vettel about Webber. Not an opinion by one of us. What am I missing?

I'm usually one to call out (or just ignore) Martin's Vettel comments, but this post is purely a copy paste of a Webber quote. AND I wouldn't call Webber a Vettel fanboy by any stretch.

Just because Martin's posts often come across as fanboyisms, doesn't mean ALL of his posts are like that.

Back on topic, I find it interesting that Webber calls fast corners a Vettel "weakness"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

iotar__

raymondu999 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:not another vettel fanboyism for crying out loud
It's a quote from the latest Motorsport magazine from Vettel about Webber. Not an opinion by one of us. What am I missing?
Missing is connection to topic of discussion and reality - let's see what style Vettel has according to Webber. Nope - he's basically describing how racing for Vettel looked when the car was dominant (it looked fairly different when it wasn't, just about every time to be precise) "His strength is pace in free air" Whose weakness is that? No one's. Is Hamilton or Alonso slow in free air? Unless it means his weakness is everything else (like lapping slow cars) but free air.

Good starts, yes, of course, in comparison to Webber, also starts when no one is in front are much easier, even Hamilton managed one good from pole position in 2013. Any examples of many great starts from lower positions or when RB wasn't the best car, repeatable preferably?

Master of slow corners, hmm - why not in Monaco? What happens to his mastery there? Then: "he made blown floor work" - again compared to Webber in RB, good for him but how is that proof of anything? He couldn't "make his car work" in the beginning of 2012, which (or maybe relatively poor driving) lead to Marko's explanations how everything has to be tailor-made for Vettel to deliver.

Then there's an opinion that Vettel is faster than Alonso over one lap, "in terms of preparation". What does it even mean? And how can you compare Red Bull to Ferrari "in terms of preparation" in recent seasons to draw such conclusion? Plus ONE peculiar race when Vettel+RB were faster than Rosberg/Hamilton. Yes, one race with not the strongest Mercedes race pace pair of drivers (and Ferrari) for comparison as a sign of greatness? Don't you see a problem here? How about Hungary 2013 as a sign of not-such-greatness instead? What happened compared to Singapore, why didn't he pull 2,5 s out of his pocket there? One half hearted attempt on Raikkonen and calling for penalties. It's only fair to use one race for opposing opinion, right? I'd use Barcelona as an example but I'm not a cruel person.

It sounds good to your ears if you like Vettel, minus the part: OK with aero and weakness fast corners ;-). "Very good with engine mapping and tyres", fine, it's a style description but who isn't again - Webber in RB, what's the point of reference? Your argument is that just because F1 driver said it - case closed - but it's shallow and thin case by Webber without strong examples. What exactly can Vettel do with tyres and engine mapping no one else can't? Those devil Pirelli tyres Webber and real racers hate BTW. And do you really believe that?

Same with just about everything else, he just watched Singapore, how convenient, but didn't watch Hungary. Webber needed to watch this race to form an opinion that Ham/Rosb are not muppets? He was in the middle of this team with all data for f.. 's sake. Nope, he "watched it" and it was 2,5 s, give me a break.

Lycoming
Lycoming

raymondu999 wrote: Back on topic, I find it interesting that Webber calls fast corners a Vettel "weakness"
I remember Turkey, back when that was still on the calendar, and in turn 8 he was resting his head against the side of the cockpit. Wonder if that has anything to do with what Webber is saying.

mcalex
mcalex

mcalex wrote:"the return of the real Kimi, by Peter Windsor, for F1 Racing October 2007."

Anyone willing to share this article ? Thanks in advance , Alex
If anyone has this, please :)

raymondu999

Lycoming wrote:
raymondu999 wrote: Back on topic, I find it interesting that Webber calls fast corners a Vettel "weakness"
I remember Turkey, back when that was still on the calendar, and in turn 8 he was resting his head against the side of the cockpit. Wonder if that has anything to do with what Webber is saying.
Yes. Webber was craning his neck to the left (into the corner) as he was turning through Turn 8 - whereas Vettel was just looking left, then leaning it against the right bulkhead. Has to be noted though that back then there were less counter-clockwise circuits, and Vettel's stance would've better allowed him to preserve his left-neck strength.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

iotar__

This thread as most of them turned into who is my favourite driver exercise. Every bit that helps the cause (master of slow corners) will be amplified, every opposite (fast corners weakness) questioned, obviously. Webber, who in his spare time is watching the best of Vettel package prepared by Red Bull and consisting of one race - Singapore 2013, is saying positive things about him with some driving characteristics and opinions. Fine, I've heard other F1 drivers saying different things.

I still don't know what superior "preparation for qualifying" is, as opposed to pace, which would be the most interesting part if it wasn't so vague.

raymondu999

Then contribute content to help get the thread back in the right direction. Don't just b1tch about it.

About preparing for qualifying - I'd like to hazard a guess that Seb plans the timing to go out a lot more? He's very often the first or last out, and all alone while the others exit relatively close to one another. It could be the way Seb mentally prepares for quali. He always seems extra focused in quali, and always does his visualisation before driving out.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

That in itself goes hand in hand with the widely stated agreement that Webber had more aerodynamic feel than Vettel and as such was able to reel back in laptime on Vettel through the fast twisters. For example Austin this year where Webber was monstrous through 16/17/18 in qualifying. If Webber is using one less small input at the start of T16, it's hugely multiplied by the exit of T18.
raymondu999 wrote: About preparing for qualifying - I'd like to hazard a guess that Seb plans the timing to go out a lot more? He's very often the first or last out, and all alone while the others exit relatively close to one another. It could be the way Seb mentally prepares for quali. He always seems extra focused in quali, and always does his visualisation before driving out.
I'd wager that Webber was talking about Vettel & Horner watching every feeder session together, watching the lines other drivers are taking. It may lead to no benefit, it may aid in qualifying and race day. See Bahrain for example. Vettel & Horner saw the feeder drivers using the switchback at T3 and Vettel used it to outfox Alonso & Rosberg in the race.

Equally, it's no secret Vettel is fond of poring over the telemetry during and between sessions. Nothing unusual there of course, but compare and contrast Vettel 11 @ Abu Dhabi and Raikonnen 13 @ Abu Dhabi. Vettel suffered a failure on lap 1 and spent the rest of the race watching the telemetry from Webber's car for the next time they were there. Two years later, Raikonnen was already driving home by the end of lap 2. Again, Vettel's actions may have provided no benefit at all, but you're not going to find solutions if you don't study the question.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Jonnycraig wrote:
That in itself goes hand in hand with the widely stated agreement that Webber had more aerodynamic feel than Vettel and as such was able to reel back in laptime on Vettel through the fast twisters. For example Austin this year where Webber was monstrous through 16/17/18 in qualifying. If Webber is using one less small input at the start of T16, it's hugely multiplied by the exit of T18.
raymondu999 wrote: About preparing for qualifying - I'd like to hazard a guess that Seb plans the timing to go out a lot more? He's very often the first or last out, and all alone while the others exit relatively close to one another. It could be the way Seb mentally prepares for quali. He always seems extra focused in quali, and always does his visualisation before driving out.
I'd wager that Webber was talking about Vettel & Horner watching every feeder session together, watching the lines other drivers are taking. It may lead to no benefit, it may aid in qualifying and race day. See Bahrain for example. Vettel & Horner saw the feeder drivers using the switchback at T3 and Vettel used it to outfox Alonso & Rosberg in the race.

Equally, it's no secret Vettel is fond of poring over the telemetry during and between sessions. Nothing unusual there of course, but compare and contrast Vettel 11 @ Abu Dhabi and Raikonnen 13 @ Abu Dhabi. Vettel suffered a failure on lap 1 and spent the rest of the race watching the telemetry from Webber's car for the next time they were there. Two years later, Raikonnen was already driving home by the end of lap 2. Again, Vettel's actions may have provided no benefit at all, but you're not going to find solutions if you don't study the question.
Raikonnen's Abu Dhabi race was his last with the team, it isn't a useful comparison.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

JimClarkFan wrote: Raikonnen's Abu Dhabi race was his last with the team, it isn't a useful comparison.
It's useful in the sense that Raikonnen sitting and watching Grosjean's race would've provided as much for Raikonnen in 2014 as Vettel watching Webber race in 2011 would've in the EBD-less RB8. It lends more weight to the theory that Vettel may not be the fastest qualifier, or fastest race driver on the grid, but he works the hardest of any of his rivals. It's the oft forgotten fact that there is a hell of a lot more to being an F1 driver than the 90 minutes on a Sunday afternoon.

SectorOne

But then again you can´t just assume Vettel works harder then other drivers because he thinks so.
Frankly we have no idea how hard the drivers work in relation to each other.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:But then again you can´t just assume Vettel works harder then other drivers because he thinks so.
Frankly we have no idea how hard the drivers work in relation to each other.
Absolutely it is dangerous to assume anything in Formula 1. The only evidence we have of Vettel working harder are circumstantial, such as the reports of him staying around the garages late into the night , bringing his mechanics sandwiches & coffee whilst they work on the car, along with Ted Kravitz's oft repeated assertion that Vettel is routinely the first driver into the paddock and last out (easily assertable for media presumably with the paddock entrance scanners) and Vettel's own statement that his & RBs success was due to their work ethic that struck a nerve with Rosberg - delivered in a pitlane empty bar RB doing pitstop practices & Vettel doing a solo trackrun....

All pure circumstance & speculation but with many things in life, if it looks like a dog & barks like a dog, often it is just a dog.