2010/2011 winter testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mep

Re: 2010/2011 winter testing

raymondu999 wrote:An important thing to note is that the diffuser really only generates rear downforce. The front downforce isn't really affected
That’s wrong.
The diffuser is sucking the air from below the car therefore the air under the car is flowing faster.
Fast airflow => reduced pressure under the car => force generated under the floor.

So the downforce generated by the diffuser has its center of pressure somewhere in the middle of the car. If you reduce the amount of force by the floor the Center of pressure of the whole car moves therefore you have to adjust the front and rear wing to get your CoP back in the place where you want it to have.

You change one thing => you have to adjust the rest.

mith

I think it's worth mentioning that reducing downforce will have impact on car's tyres usage.

raymondu999

Fair enough. I stand corrected. By the way, does anyone know when pre-season testing starts? I'm assuming that after we've completed the Pirelli tests, there's no F1 action until then, right?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FLC
FLC

They (Pirelli) have another test planned to take place next month in Bahrain with DLR in the TF110, if I'm not mistaken.
Official F1 testing begins Feb. 1st at Valencia.

autogyro
autogyro

Why do F1 fans have to wait 16weeks without any TV coverage.
Why cant they cover the testing and do some other decent coverage in the break?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mep wrote:That’s wrong.
The diffuser is sucking the air from below the car therefore the air under the car is flowing faster.
Fast airflow => reduced pressure under the car => force generated under the floor.

So the downforce generated by the diffuser has its center of pressure somewhere in the middle of the car. If you reduce the amount of force by the floor the Center of pressure of the whole car moves therefore you have to adjust the front and rear wing to get your CoP back in the place where you want it to have.

You change one thing => you have to adjust the rest.
=D> Thanks mep. Very well explained for us lesser technical posters.
More could have been done.
David Purley

gridwalker
gridwalker

autogyro wrote:Why do F1 fans have to wait 16weeks without any TV coverage.
The BBC season review was on TV earlier this afternoon ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

mach11
mach11

Hey all,

Pirelli have given a report on their first full grid test of their tyres...

Did the teams add weight to simulate the K.E.R.S system for next year during the test sessions????

I think the teams cannot consider the 2010 tire data anymore and will have to go back to 2009 to compare the Bridgestone and Pirelli tyres...
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

raymondu999

Why 2009? I don't see what benefits comparing 2009 to 2011 would bring over 2010 to 2011... And I think we would first need to see which teams are running KERS/not
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

forty-two

autogyro wrote:Why do F1 fans have to wait 16weeks without any TV coverage.
I'm totally with you on this. While I admit that it's likely that MOST people (meaning people who aren't F1 Fanatics) would probably not watch a preseason test session on TV, but I for one would.

In fact, if finding a slot on the TV schedule was tricky, I'd be quite happy to be able to watch a live stream online if only FOM would provide one. I could even live without any commentary.

I guess FOM would have to employ a camera crew, OB unit etc. but I think the hardcore fans would love it!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

gridwalker
gridwalker

Ditto : so would I (even if just to see the ingenious test rigs that McLaren like to use on their machines).

Hell, if I was happy to go along to Silverstone to sit in the sun and watch the cars go by with a few thousand others during test sessions where times weren't publicly available, surely there would be a market for timed test session streams (particularly if stint lengths and driver by driver timing charts were available).
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

satlan
satlan

I remember from previous testing periods there being a twitter account that combined news from multiple sources and put it all neatly in 1 page. Does someone remember who did those and if they're gonna do it again in 2011?