Clean sheet design for 2011 regs

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Clean sheet design for 2011 regs

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:ESPI

Williams is a clean slate for 2011.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86338

As will a few more be......
Thats new to me. But otherwise, potentially one mistake in 13, thats pretty decent going.

List of parts for optomisation for the 2011 cars:

* DDD To Single Diffuser
* Optomisation of Pirelli P-Zero tyres
* Optomisation of mandatory 54/46 weight distrubution
* Making the Mechanichal rear wing work, if its safe to race (I suspect a host of rear wing failures are coming next year)
* Finding room for KERS next year
* A change to the nose cone design, next year has already been said the front end aero map will look like the Brawn BGP001
* Posible front wing clean up as well, making step wings that force the wing to flex to be outlawed

Team specific:
Lotus: Installation of Renault engine and gearbox and Magnetti Mareneli KERS
Sauber: Better interaction of Ferarri 056 and Magnetti Mareneli KERS
McLaren: Making a car that suits Hamilton and Buttons driving style and body length
Mercedes: Make a car that suits the front end bite of Schumachers driving style
Renault: Keep ahold of Kubica and build on the success of the R30
Virgin: Make a car that makes sull usage of CFD thats not only fast, but relyable
Force India: Make sure that have a full and active design team again
Toro Rosso: Have a car that is not only fast, but have a design team that can bring regular updates to it.

I suspect that Red Bull and Ferarri will be much the same as was as they have contenuity in drivers and design teams, altho Ferarri have added Pat Fry recently and Red Bull have lost the services of Hartley for their simulator, but are effectivly in the same area.

marcush.
marcush.

the mandatory weight distribution is this under all conditons ..thats hardkly possible..is it?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The weigh distrubution isnt even in the rules, its a document of understanding signed by all teams for the duration of the 2011 season as the 2012 season they will go back to their own distrubution.

Personally, i think its a stupid thing that is totally un-workable as the weight distrubution is seemingly for a car that is inert to any forces, whitch basically means stationary. In my opinion the team that gets the cars distrubution to safley move arround without the car loosing grip will be the team that will win the title. Basically the car that can aggressivly work the front tires without graining them and destroy them will be the winner. Im not sure about the rear tires so much about what will be their primary demands.

In other words, Red Bull domanance in that area of development.

raymondu999

I don't get why most teams will be looking at an entire clean sheet though. Partial clean sheet maybe, but full?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ESPImperium wrote: * DDD To Single Diffuser
* Making the Mechanichal rear wing work, if its safe to race (I suspect a host of rear wing failures are coming next year)
* A change to the nose cone design, next year has already been said the front end aero map will look like the Brawn BGP001
* Posible front wing clean up as well, making step wings that force the wing to flex to be outlawed
The DDD to single diffuser will have a sizeable influence on the rear end concepts for all teams. This is going to be an area of big development for them, EBD's.

Optimization of Pirelli tyres will be whomever lucks into that. Hence why the mandatory weight distribution at Brawns behest, but in fairness it is a stab in the dark when all you have is theortetical data with nothing concrete.
So teams are covering themselves so one of them doesnt get a jump on the rest that will take all of 8-9 races to reel back in.

With the moveable rear wings, the FIA should have a very heavy mass limit for them.
This would eliminate dangerous failures and also the inevitable flexing that some teams will try to get away with.

Mclaren and Ferrari will have an advantage with KERS no doubt. This is an area where Red Bull may have to settle for second best, especially as Newey is renowned for tight packaging. A big advantage of Red Bull's will be negated by Renaults bulkier KERS units.

And your scoop on the nose cones being BGP001-esque is very good. Where did you source it from? Its funny how Mercedes have suffered this year with that hideous nose they have on the W01, when they could have refined what they had the year before.

As for the front wings, thats an area I really know even less than nothing about, other than it is probably the single most important aero device on the cars.
Will there be a big shift simply due to the flex ban?
Last edited by JohnsonsEvilTwin on 06 Sep 2010, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ian P.
Ian P.

Questions on the 2011 adjustable rear wings....
With the success of the current F-Duct for drag reduction, will the teams opt for the adjustable rear wing to increase downforce or to stall the rear wing and reduce drag.??
Seems that this could be done either way under the regs.
Where on the track is the FIA considering this feature to be applicable, straights or twisty bits.??
I would wager that the midnight oil is being burnt to find a wing set-up that transitions to stall itself at high speeds.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
ESPImperium wrote: * DDD To Single Diffuser
The DDD to single diffuser will have a sizeable influence on the rear end concepts for all teams. This is going to be an area of big development for them, EBD's.

Optimization of Pirelli tyres will be whomever lucks into that. Hence why the mandatory weight distribution at Brawns behest, but in fairness it is a stab in the dark when all you have is theortetical data with nothing concrete.
So teams are covering themselves so one of them doesnt get a jump on the rest that will take all of 8-9 races to reel back in.

With the moveable rear wings, the FIA should have a very heavy mass limit for them.
This would eliminate dangerous failures and also the inevitable flexing that some teams will try to get away with.

Mclaren and Ferrari will have an advantage with KERS no doubt. This is an area where Red Bull may have to settle for second best, especially as Newey is renowned for tight packaging. A big advantage of Red Bull's will be negated by Renaults bulkier KERS units.

And your scoop on the nose cones being BGP001-esque is very good. Where did you source it from? Its funny how Mercedes have suffered this year with that hideous nose they have on the W01, when they could have refined what they had the year before.

As for the front wings, thats an area I really know even less than nothing about, other than it is probably the single most important aero device on the cars.
Will there be a big shift simply due to the flex ban?
On the last two, it has been rumored without substance on the Brawn eske nose. And for the front wings, i have a feeling/is my guess that this will be the last thing to be put into the rules for 2011. Ban the flex wing and step wings and essencially have the front wing looking like something that the Virgin VR/01 had on it at the start of the season in testing.

mike
mike

i rkn the key word next year will be ..."OVERSTEER"
single deck diffuser 54/46 distribution..... the rear will be extremely loose in a sense

look at 2009 brawn gp 51/49 distribution with double diffuser, rear wings will have to be highly developed and a single deck blown diffuser has to work extremely well.
front wings next year will probably guide more air around the front wheels instead of making more down force. And softer tyres in the start of the race might only last 3-4 laps

RB7 will i will expect to be something like the RB5 since it was the fastest single deck car in the field, then again F60 has the 2011 weight distribution with kers, so it will be a very interesting season ahead

raymondu999

Is 54.46 and 51/49 biased for more weight on the front, or at the rear?

I wonder how the DDD ban will go about with McLaren. This year much of their lack of qualifying pace seems to be related to struggling to feed their mammoth diffuser.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

Saribro wrote:So: Clean sheet for 2009, clean sheet for 2011, clean sheet for 2013,...
Weren't we trying to _reduce_ cost?
Thats because after awhile there will be no more loopholes in the technical regulation for teams to explore major performance gain, thats why they need to a clean sheet to spice up the show up again. did I say show??

CHT
CHT

WhiteBlue wrote:And why do you think this is worthy of opening a new thread? You do not seem to have an opinion of your own to share. There is no prize for opening the most useless threads in this forum. If we had one I would nominate the OP.
what about starting a thread for forummers to submit their NTA (New Thread Application)?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mike wrote:i rkn the key word next year will be ..."OVERSTEER"
Schumacher territory... :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Isn't the F-duct also going to be scraped for next year?
IIRC, there were talks about it.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

raymondu999

this year we've had times when the front wing moving thing gets stuck. Any guesses on what will happen if that happens to the rear wing? :P

And I don't think the oversteer will be solely Schumi territory. I think it benefits a few others as well, such as Hamilton, and maybe Vettel
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Yup, FOTA have agreed to get rid of the F-duct.

:arrow: The F-duct voted out by the teams
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.