Who should win the title this year? why or why not?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mkw0101

Who should win the title this year? why or why not?

I think Mark Webber will win the title because his the best overall driver
and he won a race after the horific crash at valencia.

who else desreves to win the championship?
Last edited by mkw0101 on 14 Oct 2010, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: who deserves to win the title this year? why or why not?

Vettel. He only just missed out last year and has put in some stunning drives, despite some moronic errors.

Other than Vettel, Massa.

And because it would annoy all the haters and the fair-weather fans, Schumacher! :mrgreen:

Sean H

Alonso, the best driver in a non dominant car.

The RBR drivers should win the title, they have a far superior car.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

mkw0101

Alonso should not win the title because of the fixed win at German GP this season.

SiLo

Webber, Alonso cheated the Germany GP, Vettel made way too many rookie errors, Hamilton is pretty much out of it and made errors too, Button doesn't have it in him yet with Mclaren. Webber is the most deserving, especially for that "number 2" comment!
Felipe Baby!

alberto222mx

Whoever finish with more points, IMO.
Everything else is subject to personal opinions and bias, beyond the seven extra points earned by Alonso in Germany, the five drivers who are fighting for the championship have had great performances and terrible mistakes (some more than others) by their own merits.
In the end the only thing which can tell us who deserves more the WDC is the points that everyone got.
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

andartop

Re: Who deserves to win the title this year? why or why not?

Ok, since this is obviously fanboy territory I'll have a go before it turns into another I like/don't like Hamilton/Alonso/Webber/Vettel thread. Please, before you start swearing at me keep in mind that I commit myself to NOT post again in this thread! Please feel free to shoot me at will. For those of you who are new, I am 100% pro Ferrari, and 200% pro F1.

So far this season we've seen the following:

Webber doing silly mistakes (ie taking out Hamilton in Australia), having very poor starts and in some cases being simply slow, in a car that could have given the WDC to someone like Schumi (in his previous reincarnation) by Spa (if not sooner).

Vettel doing even more silly mistakes (ie taking out Button in Spa), failing repeatedly to capitalize on pole positions and still eluding that much needed awe inspiring performance (ie a victory from midfield), in the same dominant car.

Alonso doing silly mistakes as well (ie Monaco), being simply slow (ie Turkey) and benefiting from team orders or others' unreliability (ie Bahrain).

Hamilton doing silly mistakes (ie Monza, Valencia), repeatedly flirting with penalties and getting away with it just with reprimands (which could have cost him dearly had the stewards happened to be on a bad day) and benefiting from others' silly mistakes (ie Turkey).

Button being simply slower than his team mate pretty much everywhere and only getting two wins mostly due to good strategic calls rather than pure speed.

Massa being simply slower than his team mate pretty much everywhere, doing silly mistakes (ie Suzuka) and no, even without the team orders in Germany he still wouldn't be anywhere near challenging for the WDC.

To sum up:

Webber is not worth the WDC because he has repeatedly failed to get the maximum out of a dominant car.
Vettel is not worth the WDC simply because of the Turkey incident.
Alonso is not worth the WDC because he couldn't overtake Massa in Germany fair and square.
Hamilton is not worth the WDC because of Monza and Singapore.
Button and Massa are simply slow this year.

It does make me wonder whether the fight for the Championship is so tense this year because there are so many good drivers in good cars, or because they are all equally bad!!! :lol:

So, in my opinion, this year's WDC should not be given to anyone. They should just double the prize for next year to make things even more interesting!

Or just give the money to Sauber and Kobayashi.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

strad

Every year there is a topic like this,,and always with 'Deserves" in the title.
Aren't we a presumptuous lot to think we can say who deserves the title? :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhyMe

I think mark webber, even tho i am a lewis hamilton fan. I just think he deserves it more and the interview in singapore made me think he is retiring at the end of the year....

delacf

I am a Ferrari fan but, in my opinion, Hamilton deserves the title. He does not have the best car and made a spectacular championship. He has been very agressive. It was a shame his mistake at Monza.

Alonso has made many mistakes (Monaco, Turkey, Spa, Valencia, Silverstone etc.). This championship Alonso has not shown the quality that we assumed.

Webber and Vettel have not benefited from the best car.

Regards, delacf

manchild

Webber

1. Second driver

2. Got screwed up by first driver twice

That is why Vettel doesn't deserve to win the championship.

Both Mclaren drivers are just profiteers from Vettel's screw-ups and harm done to Webber. Not that good as much as their points show.

Alonso has unfortunately really become the new Schumacher, team-order-crybaby, and if he wins it, it would be another FIA fixed WDC after Kimi 2007 and Button 2009.

flynfrog

The one with the most points at the end. IMO thats the one that deserves the tittle. All of this well this driver tried really hard stuff doesn't count for points.

Who would I like to see do it? Id like to see Webber win one he has been strong all season or Alonso he has had a good comeback the last few races. Im looking forward to the fight going into the last few races

WhiteBlue

The driver with the most points in the end deserves it. I would be disappointed if it was Alonso though because he got seven points by an illegal team order from Massa. The stewards and the FiA did not rectify that fault. So if Alonso wins by less than seven points his title is forever tainted.

I would like Seb to win this one because he had tons of bad luck where Webber was incredibly lucky most of the time. So if Seb wins this one it will be particularly well done in the face of adversity.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

gibells

I'm going to go with Mark. He's the underdog in the team, and has mostly kept his cool throughout. Steadily advancing in age that I am, I can now appreciate why special things should be hard fought, not gained by unfair favour over others. Which is why, for me, it simply can't be Alonso or Vettel. It can be Hamilton or Webber, but for once, I'm going to not choose Lewis, and go with Mark.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mark Webber.

Pace and consistency, and overcoming internal team politics with aplomb.
More could have been done.
David Purley