Who should win the title this year? why or why not?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet

Re: Who should win the title this year? why or why not?

Webber should win. My logic? Simple:

His supporters think he deserves the title for the seriously bad luck he has had in relation to his teammates. His detractors want to see him gone, and will likely retire as champion, a nice storybook ending.

No more Webber, and Webber as WDC, everybody wins. Except WB. But Vettel does not deserve the title *yet* after the mistakes he has made this year. He needs to prove himself as a racer, not just a fast lapper.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

WhiteBlue

sknguy wrote:I think Webber has had to race through the stigma of being a number two driver.
I think that the so called No.2 problem for Webber was just a publicity stunt to generate support for him. Red Bull never had a designated No.1 driver. It would be poetic justice if this media manipulation would fail in the end and Vettel would take the title.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Mysticf1

it would be poetic justice if Webber won the title after his incompetent team mate drove into the side of him and was subsequently blamed for the incident.

rayden

Seb is a 1 lap clear track sprinter, put a few cars around him and he drops his lollies though. not a true racer yet.

im having trouble finding the stats now, but webber has generally had faster race pace (especially on the hards).

u401768

Well…..for my guess I think I’ll go with Alonso…..
But just because of Redbull saying they will build their 2011 team around Vettel :-
http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... MP=OTC-RSS
I think if they get in the situation where Webber is infront of Vettel, and Vettel trys to pace, there will be anther ‘Turkey’ incident. And that will hand the WDC to Alonso on a silver platter.
Also I cant see Webber hanging around next year to play 2nd fiddle. The only place he may do so is in a Ferrari as the pay check would be nice, and he could put on other ReBull for not backing him and nicking his front wing…
I do think there is no smoke without fire….and the ‘not bad for a 2nd driver’ is still a very very open wound.

Roland Ehnström

Up until this point neither of the top drivers in the championship has been perfect, neither has looked like a champion. Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel have been brilliant at times, but they have also made quite a few mistakes. Webber and Button have been more consistent, but also consistently slower than their team-mates.

I'll say this: Who ever puts the hammer down and wins the final three races has deserved the title.

zeph

Roland Ehnström wrote: Webber and Button have been more consistent, but also consistently slower than their team-mates.
In Webber's case, that is patently untrue. He has been faster than Vettel for much of the season.

LionKing

Vettel seem to finish in front of Webber when has no incidents in the race. But he is error prone and his mistakes are very costly. In last 10 grand prix he has finished 4 times behind Webber. Those races coincide with his major mistakes: Got penalty in Hungary while leading the race, hit Button in SPA, bad start and puncture in Silverstone and crash with Webber in Turkey. If he can achieve 3 more poles and have good starts. That might do it for him...

leoleo

Webber,No Question !!!

lolzi

zeph wrote:
Roland Ehnström wrote: Webber and Button have been more consistent, but also consistently slower than their team-mates.
In Webber's case, that is patently untrue. He has been faster than Vettel for much of the season.
When?

Neco FEROX

Vettel should not only because I support him but also he's been the fastest driver in qualifying and he's had his fair share of mechanical problems (Spark Plug, Wheel Nut, Brakes etc).

BUT I'm not saying he's perfect.

marcush.

to me Newey and his guys should win this title simply because the car is in a league of its own .
Neither webber nor Vettel could claim it was their skill and racecraft winning this title both at times really at a loss to explain what they had in mind .
To me they had more luck than anything else with Alonso having to overcome the start of the season engine struggle and the mid season string of pointless results not really due to bad driving or a lame duck of car.
Hamilton could well have retained the championship lead if not for the recent string of dnfs you could not really blame him for being too agressive by the smallest of margins.

But really thta RBR 6 is the class of the field and quite a few drivers in the current field would have already sealed this championship before Korea given they were RedBullracing drivers.No proof there but they seem to yield too much under pressure....
both reacting with stubborness and silly incidents trying to making a point instead of scoring points.

donskar

marcush. wrote:to me Newey and his guys should win this title simply because the car is in a league of its own .
Neither webber nor Vettel could claim it was their skill and racecraft winning this title both at times really at a loss to explain what they had in mind .
To me they had more luck than anything else with Alonso having to overcome the start of the season engine struggle and the mid season string of pointless results not really due to bad driving or a lame duck of car.
Hamilton could well have retained the championship lead if not for the recent string of dnfs you could not really blame him for being too agressive by the smallest of margins.

But really thta RBR 6 is the class of the field and quite a few drivers in the current field would have already sealed this championship before Korea given they were RedBullracing drivers.No proof there but they seem to yield too much under pressure....
both reacting with stubborness and silly incidents trying to making a point instead of scoring points.
Good post. RBR car is definitely the class of the field. Any of the top 6 (or 7 or 8) drivers could be WDC in it. Clear case of the car being the champ, more than the man.

Given that, I'll take the best non-RBR man -- Alonso.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

marcush.

thanks .even though I´m again humilating myself with all those typos...
you are right with Alonso .I don´t like him at all but he delivers and stood up to his word and stayed in contention for the title.

WhiteBlue

zeph wrote:
Webber was the faster Red Bull driver when qualifying was wet and Vettel had issues with his car which is very little consolation to the fact that he is generally slower. If you just look at dry qualifying you see that even with damaged cars Vettel was on average 1.5 tenth faster than Webber. If you take out Monaco and Turkey were Vettels car was definitely damaged Vettel was 2.5 tenth faster on average. However you turn it Vettel qualifies faster by any given criterion. He gets pole more often, has the higher average qualifying position and wins on aggregate time.

In Korea Webber is only 0.7 tenth behind Vettel but you have to consider that he is using a new engine which is worth 2 tenth a lap. So the true difference is more like 2.5 tenth which is pretty typical of what the two drivers usually do. Webber was having a lot of good luck while lady luck was mostly crapping over poor Seb particularly in the reliability stakes.

So for me there is only one Red Bull driver who truly deserves the title at this point in time and it is Sebastian. Perhaps if Webber demonstrates some heroic stuff in the last three races and qualifies on pole for the last two times I'm prepared to change the opinion.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)