Mark Webber's shoulder...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Mark Webber's shoulder...

I guess the pressure (of the crash and the championship) together broke his shoulder then?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jamsbong
jamsbong

I feel that Webber is an "accident magnet". So many accidents on track and on bicycles. Unbelievable that he is still marching on.

I can understand one seeks thrills from skiing, cycling or other extreme sports. Even Sebastian Loeb received injuries from mountain biking but he is clever. He gotten the injury after he won the championship.

The way I see him is that he is a stubborn and very courageous man (balls made of extremely hard material). However, many times such personality trade gotten better of him and is a great Achilles Heel if he does not the brains to match.

ringo

He's the crash man!! :mrgreen: Half of the crash bothers tag team.
For Sure!!

Professor
Professor

Formula None wrote: Seriously though, the only part of this that bothers me is that its coming out after the season. Comes across as an excuse.

And I can't believe how all of you are making light of this. Its just like the Bernie thread after he was mugged. I don't find this humerus at all. Hopefully he can rise above all this next season, rotate his cuffs, pull up his sleeves, pull on the balaclavicle and get down to the business of challenging for the championship.
=D>

Mandrake
Mandrake

marcush. wrote:so Vettel beats Webber only when the guy is injoured?
will Mateschitz pay Mark for doing more mountainbike riding?
the story has some comedy in it...even though I feel for Mark but i´d say he should leave it for once and start again after finsishing his F1 ambitions.
I think this is the way it is supposed to come across. But looking at the last 7 races, Belgium (missed start), Italy (poor race compared to Vettel who even had a technical problem with the brakes) and Singapore (Slow compared to Vettel + LH incident) it is obvious that even before that secret injury he was fading.

I'd also love to see some proof of that injury, not that I don't believe him, it's just that it fits perfectly into the picture of: "I would be WDC now, if it wasn't for my shoulder"

zeph
zeph

whoa, tough guy!

Seriously, some guys here actually think it's just an excuse? #-o

WhiteBlue

Christian Horner wrote:I didn't even know about the book, let alone the shoulder. It is obviously disappointing that Mark said nothing. It was an injury that did not appear to have any effect on his performance but all the same it would have been nice to know about it. Our drivers have an obligation to make sure they are fit. It seems bikes don't agree with Mark so maybe it would be better if he stayed away from them.
I would agree with that statement. Mark needs to change his priorities if he wants to fight for the top honors in the sport. If you are preparing for the last four races of the season you are not supposed to take any risks in your training regime. If you go mountain biking you keep it nice and safe by selecting the right tracks and keeping a good distance to the mate you are training with.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

tarzoon

Agree with WB. It is quite stupid to risk the highest achievement of a driver's career by going on a cycle ride. There are so many more ways to keep fit that it really doesn't make sense.

Hiding it from the boss is another big issue. Wouldn't surprise me if he's on the wrong side of the boot after something like this.

flattyre
flattyre

I don't think it was to keep fit, I think it was more to do with leisure (with the added bonus of keeping fit). F1 drivers would take on more advanced training than just going for a bike ride.

Also, he didn't get the injury through complete fault of his own - his mate had a crash in front of him, but Mark couldn't manage to avoid him.

But... if he's not allowed to go on a bike ride, then what IS he allowed to do in his spare time?? F1 drivers are made from different stuff to the majority of us. They don't want to just sit down and do nothing. They want to be out there, taking risks, living life on the edge. Remember Damon Hill saying that he found doing 'normal' things like playing golf extremely boring, and that he had to be doing something risky just to feel like he was alive?

gridwalker
gridwalker

Formula None wrote:And I can't believe how all of you are making light of this. Its just like the Bernie thread after he was mugged.
Maybe so, but I doubt that Mark Webber's shoulder will be used to sell anything other than a few extra copies of his book.

Bernie, on the other hand, is just proving that once you are a salesman, you are ALWAYS a salesman.

According to ESPN-F1, this is real ... please let me know if any of you actually see this advert in the flesh (so to speak).
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I dont want to laugh, but I cannot help a snigger...the harder I try not to laugh, the harder I do!
At least he is ok now.
More could have been done.
David Purley

gridwalker
gridwalker

I have to admit, using that mugshot to sell watches is a great idea from a marketing perspective and must have taken more self-deprecating humor than I had ever attributed to Bernie ...

Now, let's see what endorsements Mark Webber takes on for 2011 ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

jddh1

I bet the friend he was riding with was Vettel.

xpensive
xpensive

If this is true, which I'm wrestling with to get my head around actually, the man is an utter prat, going mountain-biking when leading the Formula One champinship with four races to go? Funny he didn't try hang-gliding in Norway when at it?

Consider the ass***es who had their life-savings on him becoming WDC, no wonder this fine forum's Aussies are missing?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Formula None
Formula None

gridwalker wrote:
Formula None wrote:And I can't believe how all of you are making light of this. Its just like the Bernie thread after he was mugged.
Maybe so, but I doubt that Mark Webber's shoulder will be used to sell anything other than a few extra copies of his book.

Bernie, on the other hand, is just proving that once you are a salesman, you are ALWAYS a salesman.

According to ESPN-F1, this is real ... please let me know if any of you actually see this advert in the flesh (so to speak).
I'm glad he could turn the other cheek. Apparently his ego bruises less easily than his face. I guess no more blood is to be shed, not on his watch.