Group Lotus buys Renault F1 Team

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Byronrhys

Re: Group Lotus buys Renault F1 Team

Bahaar thinks it'll Be over soon...lol

Richard

Re: Lotus T128

donskar wrote:OK, rigidly on topic:
for 2011 we will have two entities carrying the word "Lotus."

1) One bought it and has a legal/monetary right to use it. Beyond the fact that they paid money for it I see no other reason for them to use it (or not use it).

2) The "other" Lotus will be sponsored by the corporate / manufacturing entity that is named Lotus and which has built thousands of cars bearing that name.

I simply can't see why 2) has been castigated in this thread. They have done nothing in violation of the rules (as far as I can see). They are not claiming to be anyone other than Lotus. By their sponsorship they are helping a good team stay in business. (I think most of us would NOT like to see Renault disappear?)

Are some of you equally incensed at the "BRM" wrist watch? How about the BMW "Cooper"?
One of them is based in Oxfordshire with direct lineage to Toleman and Benetton, and was more recently owned by a large corporation flying the french flag.

The other is based in Norfolk on a tiny budget and is run by a maverick team leader, sound familiar?

forty-two

I know that nobody asked for it, but my opinion on this matter has now solidified somewhat.

I support the "underdog" in this case (Tony Fernandez' mob), and wish them well.

I wouldn't want to see the Renault team (under whatever monicker they choose to go by) leave F1, especially they've now "apparently" eliminated the cheats from their team.

I just wish that Group Lotus had backed Tony Fernandez instead. I'm sure they could use the investment, but perhaps their support came at too great a cost in other areas?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Richard

forty-two wrote:I support the "underdog" in this case (Tony Fernandez' mob), and wish them well.
Me too. The Renault thing is like a big brother seeing the little brother having fun and stealing his toy. Would Renault have become Lotus if Tony hadn't already created the buzz this year?

CHT
CHT

Lets not get too emotional about Team Lotus just because of they are a small team with little budget. For me they are no different to HRT and Virgin who have also build a team from scratch.

Personally, i dont believe anyone in the right mind will start a F1 team purely because of passion for racing or the brand Lotus. Tony and mike are no Lotus of the past nor do they have any Chapman DNA. they are simply opportunists who see the opportunity in using Lotus name and heritage to generate publicity and fan interest, especially among British fans.

Tony is in F1 purely because it is a good platform to market his newly launch AirAsiaX which flies from UK to Malaysia (yes, you are already knowing more about AirAsia brand because of Team Lotus) while Mike, who was one of the most highly paid technical director, didn't just quit a high paying job to start Team Lotus either.

N12ck

I think the only reason group lotus wanted to go with renault is because they realised how much hype there was around lotus racing and the fan base and wanted to get up the grid quicker instead of waiting and trying to steal the fans by confusing them and claiming they are the 'real' lotus. In other words group lotus wanted the same hype and advertisement more quickly and more cheaply than actually being a team so are now a sponsor, we have to remember there is only 1 lotus team on the grid next year, the other is a lotus sponsored team, another thing is the fact that group lotus say that team lotus should be left in the past and yet are going with a black and gold livery?? how is that leaving team lotus in the past. i feel that tony fernandes' lotus is the closest to the team lotus of old in attitude and in the way they work,
Budding F1 Engineer

CHT
CHT

N12ck wrote:I think the only reason group lotus wanted to go with renault is because they realised how much hype there was around lotus racing and the fan base and wanted to get up the grid quicker instead of waiting and trying to steal the fans by confusing them and claiming they are the 'real' lotus. In other words group lotus wanted the same hype and advertisement more quickly and more cheaply than actually being a team so are now a sponsor, we have to remember there is only 1 lotus team on the grid next year, the other is a lotus sponsored team, another thing is the fact that group lotus say that team lotus should be left in the past and yet are going with a black and gold livery?? how is that leaving team lotus in the past. i feel that tony fernandes' lotus is the closest to the team lotus of old in attitude and in the way they work,
Without Group Lotus and Malaysia government $upport from the beginning, there will be no Tony Fernandes Team Lotus. And prior to Team Lotus, what has Tony and Mike have got to do with the Lotus brand?

gibells

I'll throw my tuppence in with this. I vigorously support Tony F & Mike G. I think they've done an amazing job and have commendable spirit. I do, however, think that us as a mob of enthusiasts would support him no less if they would create their own history by giving themselves their own name. Something drawing from their growing repertoire of experience and savvy.

Lotus be damned. History is in the past. All this hoo haa steers only to place our attention on a small man with a big mouth (DB) and his unfathomable plans. He is not worthy of our attention nor indeed respect.

All we have to do now is come up with a brand which synergises what Tony and Mike are about...

Dragonfly

gibells wrote:I'll throw my tuppence in with this. I vigorously support Tony F & Mike G. I think they've done an amazing job and have commendable spirit. I do, however, think that us as a mob of enthusiasts would support him no less if they would create their own history by giving themselves their own name. Something drawing from their growing repertoire of experience and savvy.
Me too.
They survived the first year and showed progress during the season.

I have a gut feeling (not supported by anything provable) that Proton is going to fail in the manner of other quite bigger manufacturers.
They will inherit the Renault success at present level and their engine, but it is to be seen how they continue.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

dren

Bahar is trying to obtain overnight success for the Lotus name. The venture will most likely fail and Fernandes will get it (Lotus the car company) at an even cheaper price.
Honda!

ESPImperium

dren wrote:Bahar is trying to obtain overnight success for the Lotus name. The venture will most likely fail and Fernandes will get it (Lotus the car company) at an even cheaper price.
As he did with Air Asia, bought it from the Malasian Government for 50 Sen and asumed all its $150m in debts as well, within 18 months the debt had been paid off and he was making a profit.

I suspect that this whole thing could ruin Group Lotus, Fernandez will pick the company up for not too much, then turn it arround and such.

Then the Chapman family will have egg on their faces, and like it or not, Fernandez will be Lotus then.

mith

I like Tony's approach and I recognise him as being very skilful in management, but I wonder about one thing. Why isn't he willing to build his own legend rather than reviving Lotus from ashes?

sticky667

Initially, his plan was to race under the 5 year license from Group Lotus. With enough success, he would've been able to convince the Malaysian Government for full support and acquiring the full business. Thus reviving Lotus as a successful sports car maker and F1 team.

forty-two

Can anyone tell me what Engine and Gearbox the MkII Lotus team (Tony F & Mike G's outfit) will be using this season?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

wesley123

The Renault Engine and Red Bull Gearbox
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender