Group Lotus buys Renault F1 Team

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
segedunum

Re: Group Lotus buys Renault F1 Team

Autosport did a decent article on the motivations for this. Back when Proton bought Lotus they thought they had bought a Formula 1 team. They were shocked to discover they hadn't.

I don't know where this misguided Lotus endeavour has come from (they seem to be faffing about in Indycar as well) but Proton simply cannot afford this. Proton do not sell anywhere near enough Lotus cars to justify this gamble. The end result will be Proton going bust or at least having to sell off Group Lotus whereupon Fernandes will simply pick up the Lotus cars group and solve his problem there. Fernandes would not have kept using the Lotus name unless there was an endgame that allowed him to conclusively win this battle. The only difficulty is how he will end up merging his team and that of Renault when the inevitable happens.

You despair at the Lotus name being lost to Formula One forever.....and then this happens.

bjpower

Can bernie not veto this?
bring the sport into disrepute?
make them use the proton name untill the cort action is finished and we get a result one way or the other.

this may also help team lotus. most people posting seem angry at "new" lotus.
i think people will rally to team lotus - at least i hope they will

mcdenife

wesley123 wrote:Lotus isnt British, Renualt is French, the only british thing is that the teams base is in Great Britain.
Lotus is British. But owned by(Malaysians)Proton, just as Lamborghini will always be italian though its owned by Germans (VW).
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

wesley123

Is Lotus' base in Great Brittain? I think not, is the marque Lotus registered as an Brittish company? I think not.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

autogyro

No company and nobody could bring back the original Team Lotus.
That was Colin Chapmans Team and those who had the privelege to build it with him.

However, Mike Gascoine has managed to create a Team with a friendly and open feel to it that does credit to the Team Lotus name.
I do not see the factory team achieving the same acceptance.

Having said that, the history of F1 and motor racing has seen many companies and individuals combine into new outfits and I see nothing in the principle of Lotus Renault. It is the livery that could cause the most offence.

Sawtooth-spike

Wow what great way to alienate your fans! I quite liked new Renault and I really liked team lotus but now it just looks like a total mess. I hope Tonys boys give Renault a good kicking next season in return.

Surely the answer us to go to the red and gold livery? For the classic lotus look.

Let's hope bernie steps in and sorts it out cus 4 cars all looking the same with also identical names is not good for the sport.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

ESPImperium

Id love Team Lotus (Tonys Team) to go with the Cammel Era livery in Yellow, Blue and Black, aping the Renault of last season. Or alternitivly, why not let them have Black and Gold and keep the new Team Lotus with Racing Green and Yellow, the Classic appeal.

This could be a disaster for commentators. Heres Trulli in the Lotus renault or is it Kubica in the Team Lotus???

gridwalker

@Autogyro : I think the most offensive aspect is the fact that the Chapman family have already given their blessing to the Gascoyne/Fernandez backed Lotus, then Proton attempt to bulldoze them out of the way to claim a heritage that they have neither earned nor deserve.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

autogyro

I totaly agree, Proton should be content to call the Team Lotus Renault and stop attempting to steal the heritage.
No amount of money can achieve that anyway, so they are on a looser before they start in court.

mcdenife

wesley123 wrote:Is Lotus' base in Great Brittain? I think not, is the marque Lotus registered as an Brittish company? I think not.
AFAIK, Lotus's base is in the UK (headquartered in Norfolk) and is registered as a UK company with owners (of the company) listed as Proton.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Donuts

Re: Renault R31

I'd have to agree, but it's not awful looking. I think the gold lines have to be thiner, to give a "sleak" look. I guess that there'll be some changes to the livery, the Russian sponsor are not even on it... I'm a bit worried about the "politics" that will follow with this annonuncement. I'm tired of politics in F1.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

wesley123

Indeed, I looked on Wikipedia and it is still listed as an Brittish company, excuse me
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

I love it. :mrgreen:

Atleast the Lotus name gets a performance boost in 2011!

Any true Lotus fan would be applauding the return of the Lotus Renault. :lol:

Sorry for Fernandes, but Group Lotus made the right business move. Who needs a midfield lotus when you can get a front running one?

=D> :lol: evil, but smart.

It's a dog eat dog world out there.
Fernandes car was a dog of a car, so it got eaten up. :lol:

edit: I have just realized how cunning a move this is.
any car is free to wear whatever livery they chose. Even if the Renault team don't get the proper lotus name, they still can look like the old school lotus.

A good analogy is if Vodaphone sponsored HRT and apply a similar livery that the Mclaren team use. You can't tell HRT that they can't apply the title sposnor livery how they want it.

Fernandes may well come with another lotus next year. He'll just look desperate.
I feel sorry for him, and i do feel his team are more genuine bearers of the lotus spirit, but money talks. The stronger money wins every time!
Last edited by ringo on 08 Dec 2010, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

Intego

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Wow what great way to alienate your fans! I quite liked new Renault and I really liked team lotus but now it just looks like a total mess. I hope Tonys boys give Renault a good kicking next season in return.
Seems they're loosing fans on every side: Lotus fans stick to Team Lotus/1Malaysia, Renault fans maybe just as well plus changing to Red Bull Racing, Kubica fans keeping heads ashamed down. Perhaps a big gain in Petrov fans.
Sawtooth-spike wrote:Let's hope bernie steps in and sorts it out cus 4 cars all looking the same with also identical names is not good for the sport.
I hear Montezemolo crying again for a third car. Ferrari could buy Toro Rosso! :lol:
ESPImperium wrote:Id love Team Lotus (Tonys Team) to go with the Cammel Era livery in Yellow, Blue and Black, aping the Renault of last season. Or alternitivly, why not let them have Black and Gold and keep the new Team Lotus with Racing Green and Yellow, the Classic appeal.
As for the colours: Dunno exactly how to read Fernandes' Twitter post (re-tweet):
RT @RX826: @tonyfernandes Stick with the Green and Gold, save some cash to spend on the car!
Isn't there a section in the International Sporting Code (PDF) to prevent Group Lotus' "Hijacking"? I think Article 151c would fit:
151. Breach of rules
Any of the following offences in addition to any offences specifically referred to previously, shall be deemed to be a breach of these rules:
c) Any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition or to the interests of motor sport generally.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

siskue2005

Re: Renault R31

Why do they have that RED total color there!! :shock:
that looks awfull, they should paint that black too, ASAP! #-o