Don't forget that F1 is purely Entertainment!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Don't forget that F1 is purely Entertainment!

Chances are that I'll be one of the .1% by 2012, with Austin hosting the circus it'll be much closer to me than the Canadian GP. And with the work I have just lined up the probability of me attending has increased massively.

WB, yes, of course there's more to come. Part of it will be the driver specific numbers so no one gets confused by the current system.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall
bhall

I don't get how a two-seater celebrity race would be entertaining. "Driving with the Stars" would just be "Driving with Living Ballast." Unless somehow one person controls the steering while the other controls braking and acceleration. Actually, I might pay a buck or two to see that.

So, yeah, turn F1 into a glorified three-legged race. Progress!

nipo
nipo

WhiteBlue wrote:This thread needs to be shut down. :wink: Not a technical point being made anywhere.
Technical or not, this topic is just too subjective, not worthy of discussion at all...

Formula None
Formula None

Of course these idiots think its boring. Stupid people find a very long list of things boring. F1 does not need more casual fans. But the corporate model demands increased profits, so our dear sport's destiny is already written. Fuller is just another condescending pretentious advertising/marketing type. Worthless person in a worthless profession. Ecclestone's not long for this world so no point in getting trolled by his ramblings.

Formula None
Formula None

bhallg2k wrote:I don't get how a two-seater celebrity race would be entertaining. "Driving with the Stars" would just be "Driving with Living Ballast." Unless somehow one person controls the steering while the other controls braking and acceleration. Actually, I might pay a buck or two to see that.

So, yeah, turn F1 into a glorified three-legged race. Progress!
Eventually they will discover something known as "demolition derbies" during one of their excursions out amongst the common people and a "bright idea" shall be formed inside them...

szlaszlo84
szlaszlo84

I think it is hard to argue the intentions of Bernie. The sport has long ceased to be technically relevant research basis for casual automotive needs. In fact the banning of driving aids pushed the aerodynamic research side of the sport so far that it will never be relevant to anything but itself.

Of course, it never has been about relevance but it was a positive side-effect, a sort of testing ground for technologies-to-come in our own cars. Now it is more about adapting some technologies from common cars so that the common people can relate to the "sport".

The whole aerodynamic research is an intentional gimmick that keep us non-casual fans interested so we can talk about it to our not so technologically obsessed friends and give the sport much more credit than it is worth.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we need to accept that F1 is a source of marketing revenue for the corporations involved, a source of wages for the engineers and drivers involved and a source of awe and not much else for everybody else who watches. It has been for the past two decades or so and it will be more so in the future.

alelanza
alelanza

Nah.. april's fool, cmon
Alejandro L.

Antti-san
Antti-san

Yeah, everything that comes out of Ecclestone's mouth sounds like an April's Fool... :lol:

Maidel
Maidel

Antti-san wrote:Yeah, everything that comes out of Ecclestone's mouth sounds like an April's Fool... :lol:
That's the more worrying thing. How many people could actually see bernie comming up with these ideas?