Silly Season 2011/2012

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jordangp

Re: Silly Season 2011/2012

It's gotta be bad luck for Bruno to be at williams. He's gonna be in a Williams Renault, with a similar helmet design to Ayrton, and they'll probably go for that Rothmans style livery aswell. Atleast Imola isnt on the calendar this year, or that'd just be too much bad luck, not to mention pressure.

dan
dan

we will get to see if Senna is any good now who cares about the money barichello had his time and then some!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mr.S wrote:I hope Williams slips furthur & fights with HR & Virgin. 2 Pay drivers when they could have had Sutil & even Barrichello at 40 is probably better.

Disgusting anyway. Senna buying his way to HRT,Renault & now Williams.

Schumacher and Lauda were pay drivers.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Schumacher and Lauda were pay drivers.
Depends how you define pay drivers. I'd define pay driver as someone who brings money; who wouldn't have been hired had he not had that money. Alonso brings a load of Santander money with him wherever he goes; but he would still be hired by the top teams even without Santander.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@raymond

Irrelevant.

Neither Schumacher nor Lauda would have driven when they did, if it wasn't for a truckload of cash. Pay driver. :D
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

The point is that all Lauda and MS needed was that one shot, the Williams drivers have not yet convinced anyone.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ok x,

In an HRT? LRGP where he literally bombed into a sinking ship?

Different situation IMO.
Of course his debut is nowhere near as stellar as the aforementioned.
But I think it's worthwhile to see him have a full season, then see where we are at the end of that season.
David Purley

munudeges
munudeges

If a driver is going to stand out, regardless of the car or the circumstances, they will always be able to do something that stands out over others around them.

Schumacher in a Benetton, Senna in a Toleman, Alonso in a Minardi, Raikkonen in a Sauber, Lauda, Prost...... There is always something you can point to that makes you go "Ahhh". You can perhaps forgive the time at HRT but at LRGP there wasn't very much of anything at all, and it was a reasonable car that wasn't at the back of the grid. One wonders how many chances he needs.

Williams are getting a whole load of zilch with that driver lineup, and it must be very demoralising for the new technical people there.

scuderiafan

jordangp wrote:It's gotta be bad luck for Bruno to be at williams. He's gonna be in a Williams Renault, with a similar helmet design to Ayrton, and they'll probably go for that Rothmans style livery aswell. Atleast Imola isnt on the calendar this year, or that'd just be too much bad luck, not to mention pressure.
Don't say things like that.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Mr.S
Mr.S

The point is Bruno is trash like Petrov or De Ambrosio. When you had mid field teams have driver line up like Di resta & Hulkenberg this is a joke anyway.

He flopped bad at HRT. Karun Chandok was drafted in later with less running even outqualified Bruno a couple of times. Throughout the season he was mediocre,set-ups he knows very little. Klien was faster than him & found half a second through set-up changes.

He did not do anything special with Lotus/Renault. That one 7th place could have been due to setting the car in qualy trim since he had an ordinary race anyway. Sutil can't get a drive & he is fantastic driver. It's a shame Bruno is driving while Sutil aint.

wesley123
wesley123

Mr.S wrote: It's a shame Bruno is driving while Sutil aint.
Maybe Sutil should have thought twice before hitting someone in the neck with a glass.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

WhiteBlue

At the present time Williams and Senna are not a bad pairing. Neither are upper half of the field. They are both expected to do better. It rests to be seen weather the team or the driver is capable to deliver on the expectations.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Mr.S
Mr.S

My 2 cents Senna will flop badly. He could not stamp his authority over a Chandon who came later than him & who is almost a second slower than Heikki.

manchild
manchild

Based on what are some saying farewell to Williams?

What was Honda in 2008? Worst Honda F1 car ever built, finishing 9th from 10 teams in the championship, and yet in the next season even with unplanned different engine being fitted to already designed car, it won WCC adn WDC under new owner (Brawn GP).

Williams finished 2011 also at 9th but out of 12 teams in the championship.

So, what makes Williams' winning odds lesser than Honda's were?

jordangp

Honda had been working on the 2009 concept for an awful long time, and decided to produce a poor 2008 car to take time to develop the 09 car. It was very publicly aware that Honda were pushing for 2009, and didn't come to much of a surprise to me when the Brawn was right up there.