Silly Season 2011/2012

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard

Re: Silly Season 2011/2012

24 stitches? Crikey that's more serious than I realised.

Odd that its being prosecuted in Germany not China

chrys

Joe Saward:
It was something of a surprise to see Vitaly Petrov at the Pirelli media event in Abu Dhabi, leading to speculation that the Russian may end up being the Pirelli test driver in 2012. Petrov is believed to also be talking to Caterham with a view to take over from Jarno Trulli, although the Italian has no intention of ending his F1 career.

When asked if Petrov might become the Pirelli test driver, Pirelli’s F1 boss Paul Hembery dodged the question.

scuderiafan

http://planetf1.com/news/3213/7462995/- ... al-Season-

Somewhat relevant. Will Schumacher quit next year?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

raymondu999

He's had people saying that since his comeback. First it's "he won't see out 2010" then "he will leave at the end of the year," then "he will leave at the end of 2011," etc
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

I don't know why someone with his talent would not want to driver the fastest cars on the planet, and get paid large sums of money to do it.
Saishū kōnā

Giblet

Even Brawn has said that Nico is simple quicker. Michael has some ability to do better in some races, but you can't be so off in qualification so regularly and expect to be competetive. I saw signs of his speed fading when paired against Massa. Massa had equal chance and machinery, as evidenced in some of his dominant wins over him.

Again, level playing field at MGP, and Rosberg is doing the job he wants to be.

So both points in his career where he had a equal chances as his teammate, he has not shown to be that exceptional after all.

I would like to see him do better next year, but I don't expect it. I think Rosberg will be even better.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ESPImperium

Personally, if he is enjoying it, and is achiving what he and the team wants, why wouldnt he continue. And i also feel Mercedes are wanting his replacement to have at least 3 seasons experience in F1 before they have a replacement that can step in. I think there is a reason that Mercedes have put Di Resta in the Force India, and have applied some back room pressure at Force India for Hulkenberg to get a seat.

There is one way they could replace Schumacher, and i think, looking at the contracts situation, and i think depending on his performance in relation to Vettel, Webber could be in a bidding war between Mercedes and Ferrari as Ferrari will replace Massa next season going on his 2011 performance, but again this depends on his 2012 performance at Ferrari.

I think 2012 will be year of drivers trying to out perform their team mates and each other. It could be a year where drivers have more do-or-die just to prove they are faster, better, tougher to get into a top 5 team for the young guys. The older guys will all be steady eddies, plodding away, getting the sure results they need, and could ultimatly be the ones the larger teams look toward.

WhiteBlue

Schumacher is not the reason for non performance of the team. If they were in a fight for the WDC or WCC it would be another issue. Until they build a competitive car and Schumacher fails to play a proper role in the team they have only advantages to keep him. Even if they run a campaign with Rosberg and Schumacher is good enough for #2 he would be an asset.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

scuderiafan

ESPImperium wrote: I think 2012 will be year of drivers trying to out perform their team mates and each other. It could be a year where drivers have more do-or-die just to prove they are faster, better, tougher to get into a top 5 team for the young guys. The older guys will all be steady eddies, plodding away, getting the sure results they need, and could ultimatly be the ones the larger teams look toward.
...and that kind of attitude means great racing battles!
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

ESPImperium

scuderiafan wrote:
ESPImperium wrote: I think 2012 will be year of drivers trying to out perform their team mates and each other. It could be a year where drivers have more do-or-die just to prove they are faster, better, tougher to get into a top 5 team for the young guys. The older guys will all be steady eddies, plodding away, getting the sure results they need, and could ultimatly be the ones the larger teams look toward.
...and that kind of attitude means great racing battles!
Very true. It means that a P10 for 1 point is as crucial as a P1 for 25. And as the top 5 teams start to max out performance, the smaller teams will come closer, whitch means things get even tighter. At this point in 2007 there was 3 seconds front to back, at present there is roughly 5 to 6 from the end of last years cars. I recon that by the end of the season, it could be as low as 3.5 to 4. I recon that if its tight this year, it will be even more so next.

ESPImperium

Some rumors going about the internet, Kevin Checcon and Jonny Checotto are looking at the HRT second seat. However Checotto has signed for Rappax GP2 and Checcon is likley to stay in GP2 as well, as not many spend a year in GP2 now and leap to F1.

However, ill throw a silly name into the frame for the seat, and someone who is rumored to have a budget, Lucas Di Grasi. That would mean that HRT would have 2 former Pirelli test drivers on its books, and 2 experienced racers and test drivers.

spadeflush

Suspended 18 month sentence for Sutil. #-o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16810585
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

auto saibot

lucky to get away only with that....so will he drive in f1 this season? HRT is the only shot he's got

Richard

So it would seem the other teams made the right call in not giving him a seat for this year.

I must admit that I thought it was a clear cut decision once we heard that the chap had 24 stitches. That's a bit hard to cover up or paper over.

I'll get me coat

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I read that the leniency shown to Sutil was in fact due to Lux being very antagonistic towards Sutil.
Words were exchanged to the effect that Sutil was a below average driver.

Sutils reaction was unwarranted, but needless to say Lux acted a knob in this too.
Team owner or not, he shouldnt be baiting a current F1 driver like that.

Indeed Sutil shouldn't shouldn't be so foolish to rise to it.
Lux offering Sutil a settlement of giving up his race seat for the rest of the season as well as an 8 digit out of court settlement figure(10 million plus) shows all you need to know about Lux...
More could have been done.
David Purley