Overtaking in F1 and what it should not be

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
i70q7m7ghw

Re: Overtaking in F1 and what it should not be

[...]

I don't believe Ferrari's system is actually on full throttle. From what I understand the throttle pedal goes past full, so the driver pushes it further and that activates DRS. Apparently this is how some teams used to activate traction control once upon a time. It is also similar to a throttle kickdown switch in an automatic road car.
Last edited by Steven on 07 May 2011, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed part replying to deleted post

Mr Alcatraz

Diesel wrote:I don't believe Ferrari's system is actually on full throttle. From what I understand the throttle pedal goes past full, so the driver pushes it further and that activates DRS. Apparently this is how some teams used to activate traction control once upon a time. It is also similar to a throttle kickdown switch in an automatic road car.
Affirmative! I was thinking about that as I was out and about. That would be a silly system, and wouldn't apply to quali.
Sorry bro!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Just_a_fan

Rob01 wrote:Merc uses a third pedal on floor board where the driver normally rest his foot.
In 2-pedal cars there is no foot rest. The driver's feet are on the two pedals all of the time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jeffsvilleusa

viewtopic.php?p=248237&f=12#p248237
link to a page with a video showing Rosberg's DRS coming open in turn 8! :(
Box! Box!

i70q7m7ghw

It looks to me as if it was activated... possibly linked to the throttle like Ferrari, the car was straight when it opened.

bhall

I think the effects of DRS are bordering on the absurd now, if they weren't already. I don't have any statistics - I'd love to see some if someone does - but it seemed like every time a driver was able to use the device in Turkey that he was given a veritable golden ticket to pass the car in front with ease.

Heidfeld's pass of Barrichello on lap 40 was, in my eyes, a perfect example of how F1 has gone plaid with DRS. Because he was within a second of Barrichello at the detection line, Heidfeld was able to use DRS even though he had already made the pass by the time they reached the activation line. DRS simply enabled him to open a gap.

I don't know what to call it anymore because it's certainly not racing.

Robbobnob

i totally agree, it seemed, especially once the pit stops and strategy started, passing came down to who was on the newer set of tires, and how well the cars looked after their tires and if your tires were a couple of laps older you didnt have a chance.

I personally think that the option tire rule needs to be refined, as more often than not the option is the preferred tire, and the prime the "option".

Infact i feel that all these artificial rules to increase the appeal of the sport is at the same time killing the sport. it has lost itself in the commercial world, aiming to make a profit, and losing the values of racing.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

i70q7m7ghw

One of the problems it seems is the prime tyre doesn't last much longer than the soft tyre, but is significantly slower.

This in my eyes is absurd. The rule that says you must run both compounds is also out of date. The prime tyre should allow a driver to run a strategy with less stops. So for example at every race you should have strategy options as follows:-

Strategy 1
-4 Stops on Option Tyres
-Driver has to have a balance of blistering pace without trashing the tyres too quickly.

Strategy 2
-2 stops on Prime Tyres
-Driver has to be very quick on significantly slower tyres, degredation should not be an issue.

Ideallly what you would end up with is the diffence between an 4 stop option strategy and a 2 stop prime strategy being marginal. You would then have a bunch of strategic options in the middle which would be better suited to different race situations.

DRS - Hmm. It was far too easy in Turkey. This could be down to the zone being too long... personally I'm not a fan of the activation being halfway down a straight, they will already be getting a slipstream so it's not really a solution. Perhaps the amount of drag the system drops needs adjusting? Smaller slot gaps? Maybe the activation zone needs changing, 1 second is perhaps too big...

DRS could be banned for next year, and if things stay as they are now I think we would see similar amounts of overtaking. HOWEVER, I think it is going to be very hard to keep the tyres as they are, it won't be long before the teams work out exactly how the Pirelli tyres work and what the optimal strategy is for each race, at which point things will calm down.

HampusA

Diesel: Is this really the case for all the races we have seen? I know it was the case in Turkey but not so sure about it being the same scenario in the other races.

I´m probably the only guy that likes DRS. Without it, it would be follow john all day long. Everybody has a DRS, it takes commitment to get within the zone to be able to use it so it´s the same for everybody.
I like it even though it feels kind of artificial when the just sail past on the straights.

I think that FIA now knows how to tweak it for the next year. there was also alot of overtakes without DRS in the last race. Mclaren battle was epic imo.
The truth will come out...

Rob01

Drivers aids should not be used in F1.

HampusA

When the cars a designed the way they are there is no other way..
The truth will come out...

Rob01

Just_a_fan wrote:
Rob01 wrote:Merc uses a third pedal on floor board where the driver normally rest his foot.
In 2-pedal cars there is no foot rest. The driver's feet are on the two pedals all of the time.
you don't need the clutch to shift while moving. There are three pedals in the Merc. They added one where the driver normally rest his foot. This is from Merc, not me.

Mr Alcatraz

@ Diesel,
You bring up an excellent point.
If the primes are going to be substantially slower than the options, with what speed (lack of) they do have, they should be lasting for a proportionally longer period of time. The way it is now is like:
"Put on a set of primes, and go sit in the corner".
We also have to consider the penalty (the good fortune of having a situation where rain late in the race causing all runners to pit for wet weather tyres will penalize the team whose strategy was to get the hards out of the way early. These are just the breaks of the game, but it is one more situation where a guy will not be able to run a race strategy similar to MW in China. This may sound like nit picking but all these little things start to build up and are adding fuel to argument against tyres with these properties. I am patient enough to wait for the new components to be evaluated, as long as he series learns from its mistakes, and come up with a formula we can live with, and maybe have a little continuity for a few seasons. I'm not against change. I am against Bernie constantly trying to spice up the show, which means amendments constantly being made to the formula, and this absurd idea that these changes are necessary to keep the six hundred million followers interested/satiated.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

jenkF1

HampusA wrote:When the cars a designed the way they are there is no other way..
True, the only way to generate good racing is remove the heavy reliance on the front wing. In fact, remove wings all together, bring back ground affect tuned to leave as little turbulent air as possible. DRS should only be a temporary fix. And I say let the driver in front use it.

I think the DRS advantage only aplified the issue in Turkey, I dont expect there to be that bigger advantage for the rest of the season. That is if the FIA shorted the DRS zones.

i70q7m7ghw

The prime tyre is pretty much useless at the moment, teams only use it because they are forced to, that shouldn't be the case. It should be more durable.