VW diesel cars fallout

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
roon

Re: VW diesel cars fallout

The regulators failed to regulate. When do they get punished?

Greg Locock

I don't know about your jurisdiction but in advanced countries OEMs self certify. That is, the government defines the regs but the manufacturer does the tests (often, but not always, witnessed by a government official, which is as meaningless as it sounds).

santos

Greg Locock wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 22:48
santos wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 15:04
The scandal with VW emissions was all about politics. ...
That is the funniest post I have seen for a while, albeit probably unintentionally.

Meanwhile here's another high profile arrest https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44517753

"The carmaker said it had installed software in 11 million diesel cars worldwide that could tell when they were being tested and cut their emissions."

It's a direct and deliberate circumvention of the regulations.
That doesn't mean i agree or i don't care with what VW did. But this all started in the U.S., do you consider them as country that really care about envirment?

Greg Locock

If nobody in the USA cared about the environment how did they get caught? Hint, it was by people in the USA. So they were a damn sight more on the ball than the watermelon countries and their ilk.

Big Tea

Greg Locock wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 13:24
If nobody in the USA cared about the environment how did they get caught? Hint, it was by people in the USA. So they were a damn sight more on the ball than the watermelon countries and their ilk.
It apparently came about as a university project, despite all sorts of other people claiming they were behind it.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... f6ae86eba5

In the Autumn of 2014, researchers from the West Virginia University in America were given a grant to do the first ever evaluation of the tailpipe emissions of diesel cars in America made by European manufacturers. The team consisted of two university professors, Gregory Thompson and Dan Carder as well as two students, Marc Besch and Arvind Thiruvengadam. All four were over the moon that they were able to study vehicles, with the aim to collect as much data as technically possible. Little did they know, they were about to unearth the biggest cover-up in automotive history.

(or as far as we know. We will never be sure of the real reason behind things with political outcomes)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

Which again shows that it was also the regulators, inspectors, & legistators who were at fault. Yet they see no repercussions. Foolish philosophy and expectations. A one-way street of decrees, punishments, and fines.

Greg Locock

If the regulators are at fault then presumably they would be quaking in their boots. They aren't, so far as I know.

VW abused the process, pure and simple. If you want a regulatory system where it is all done by third parties then (a) cheating could still occur and (b) the price of your cars will increase. The VW software cheat was NOT detectable during a lab test. It doesn't matter who did that test, if they followed the test procedure they wouldn't have caught it.

strad

Why does anyone care?
We are moving away from diesels anyway.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

strad wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 22:16
Why does anyone care?
We are moving away from diesels anyway.
A customer once told me if the US would quit our war-mongering, that high-grade jet fuel would become the common diesel fuel, and fix alot of the lower refined product's particulate shortcomings.

I don't know if that is a real thing, or if it even makes sense, but he was an ORNL scientist, and seemed to know some stuff, but i never really looked into it.

strad

They're rolling cancer machines. Amongst other drawbacks.
Not sure why people are in love with them.
Any savings on fuel are offset by twice the filters and maintenance.
Different strokes and such.
Wouldn't own one if you paid me.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 00:32
They're rolling cancer machines. Amongst other drawbacks.
Not sure why people are in love with them.
Any savings on fuel are offset by twice the filters and maintenance.
Different strokes and such.
Wouldn't own one if you paid me.
Hear hear! They should be restricted to large SUV's and truck's, shoving them into regular passenger vehicles was the worst idea imaginable!
"In downforce we trust"

strad

Wow
I fully expected to take flack over my stance.
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 21:16
Wow
I fully expected to take flack over my stance.
Maybe folks are finally waking up to just how difficult it is to produce a non-cancer causing oil burner!
"In downforce we trust"

roon

Gas/petrol engines keep getting more diesel like in performance, while still having easier-to-manage emissions. I don't get the impression that people are particularly nostalgic about diesel, at least in the US market. Diesel as a meme had a crescendo in the past ten years in the US but its expense and ever-shrinking MPG advantage will probably quash that. It's more of a niche/aesthetic preference for the consumer market here.

djos

roon wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 05:48
Gas/petrol engines keep getting more diesel like in performance, while still having easier-to-manage emissions. I don't get the impression that people are particularly nostalgic about diesel, at least in the US market. Diesel as a meme had a crescendo in the past ten years in the US but its expense and ever-shrinking MPG advantage will probably quash that. It's more of a niche/aesthetic preference for the consumer market here.
I think it's more the Europeans that have the irrational love of Diesel cars.
"In downforce we trust"