VW diesel cars fallout

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
roon

Re: VW diesel cars fallout

240V 30A circuits for electric clothes dryers are common in the US. 50A circuits for welders and 200A main disconnects also not uncommon in residential buildings.

*misspoke. Split phase, not three.
Last edited by roon on 22 Jun 2018, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

roon wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 17:11
Three-phase 30A circuits for electric clothes dryers are common in the US. 50A circuits for welders and 200A main disconnects also not uncommon in residential buildings.
Most cookers in UK run off 30A sockets, anything else usually goes to 3 phase. I regularly run a welder off the 30A cooker socket though.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

Why the eye roll?
You have to ask? Do you have $150,000 dollars to plunk out? I sure don't.
I have a couple of 50 amp 240 circuits.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon

strad wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 20:54
Why the eye roll?
You have to ask? Do you have $150,000 dollars to plunk out? I sure don't.
I have a couple of 50 amp 240 circuits.
Full quote: viewtopic.php?p=773190#p773190

strad

If you want the ones that are only as quick, or just a little quicker, with over 200mi range, then it's: $63k for the sedan, $68k for the SUV, $35k for the compact
Odd this came up.
I just watched a news story about how they are behind on delivery and are having Q.C. problems. (again)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon

Not unique in the industry.

Greg Locock

Over a year my 5 kW rooftop system /averages/ about 20 kWh per day. So a 500W system which is about as big as you could fit on the roof of a car would be expected to get 2 kWh per day, on average. But the ones on my roof are correctly oriented for latitude and bearing, they don't point straight up. That knocks at least 30%, and more likely 50% off the energy generated, latitude dependent. Then add the need to always park in view of the sun (not a wise move in Australia).

So overall a solar panel on the roof of your car might give you 4 miles of additional range per day on average, using typical Tesla 300 Wh/mile. In summer, in Australia, you will lose more than that because you'll need to run the AC full blast for 10 minutes when you get back in the car.

You may think that is a good investment. There may be some edge cases where it is a good idea, but frankly it ranks as about the stupidest idea I have seen proposed apart from putting windmills on the front of the car that drive generators. (Frequently suggested by 10 year olds, they have an excuse).

Just_a_fan

If the car is sat in a car park all day and manages to pull 2 or 3 miles of electric-only range from the solar panels then that is a good thing. That's 2 or 3 miles that would have come from burning dinosaurs and now isn't. So far as cost is concerned, if the owner gets a warm glow from saving 3 miles of dinosaur-sourced energy each day, then it is a good thing. Sure, that's a small bit of their commute, but it's a bit that isn't sourced from dinos.

It's not all about money - sometimes feeling good is enough...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

Greg Locock wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 01:46
Over a year my 5 kW rooftop system /averages/ about 20 kWh per day. So a 500W system which is about as big as you could fit on the roof of a car would be expected to get 2 kWh per day, on average. But the ones on my roof are correctly oriented for latitude and bearing, they don't point straight up. That knocks at least 30%, and more likely 50% off the energy generated, latitude dependent. Then add the need to always park in view of the sun (not a wise move in Australia).

So overall a solar panel on the roof of your car might give you 4 miles of additional range per day on average, using typical Tesla 300 Wh/mile. In summer, in Australia, you will lose more than that because you'll need to run the AC full blast for 10 minutes when you get back in the car.

You may think that is a good investment. There may be some edge cases where it is a good idea, but frankly it ranks as about the stupidest idea I have seen proposed apart from putting windmills on the front of the car that drive generators. (Frequently suggested by 10 year olds, they have an excuse).
Indeed, the only real use for the solar array on a car for its too keep the car cool or warm without wasting energy from the main battery.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

The FJ cruiser I bought has a solar trickle charger for the battery mounted on the hood..

Literally, the biggest waste I've ever seen, to be honest...

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 04:01
The FJ cruiser I bought has a solar trickle charger for the battery mounted on the hood..

Literally, the biggest waste I've ever seen, to be honest...
I had solar panels on my boat and while not spectacular meant the batteries were extended form a few days to a week, and that was several generations of cells ago.

As pointed out,(Greg Locock) there are many things I had not considered about it, but is every avenue not worth exploring?
Example, the parking in the sun in Australia. A roofed parking slot with solar panels? car is shaded and charged?

Yes, it would have to be done commercially, but someone making money from carparking is hardly new, and if you get enough charge to cover your trip home, all the better.

Zynerji

A boat (with no oars) makes sense with the trickle charger. I have been stranded on a lake with a friend because of the battery dying (his 2000w sound system sucked it dead in a few minutes)...

Luckily, there were other people on the lake that helped use...

Cold Fussion

Big Tea wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 11:47
Example, the parking in the sun in Australia. A roofed parking slot with solar panels? car is shaded and charged?

Yes, it would have to be done commercially, but someone making money from carparking is hardly new, and if you get enough charge to cover your trip home, all the better.
Obviously it could be done it's just a question of is there a business model for that. My opinion is the EV world won't look too dissimilar to our current petrol world. I think you'll have the fast charging stations for charging rates of hundreds, maybe even megawatts in the future, and then trickle charging at home. Perhaps some larger business will provide slower charging points for their employees but I doubt we'll be see charging points at every spot in at something like a super market.

Big Tea

Cold Fussion wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 18:17
Big Tea wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 11:47

Obviously it could be done it's just a question of is there a business model for that. My opinion is the EV world won't look too dissimilar to our current petrol world. I think you'll have the fast charging stations for charging rates of hundreds, maybe even megawatts in the future, and then trickle charging at home. Perhaps some larger business will provide slower charging points for their employees but I doubt we'll be see charging points at every spot in at something like a super market.
Then again, perhaps your namesake will happen and solve all our problems :D (would be nice, but don't hold your breath)

I think infrastructure takes the shape of what is required.
100 years ago who would have believed there would be almost no water troughs for horses and you would be able to buy huge amounts of flammable liquid at a dozen places within 10min of city centers.

I recall going to my grandmothers house and they had 2 electricity outlets downstairs and electricity for lights only upstairs because that is all the supply could carry. This expanded to just about what we know now in 20 years.
If there is a demand, someone is looking for it to be lucrative enough to supply it.

We may even see huge leaps in wireless supply, or the equivalent of 'hot swap' units. As you say though, no doubt the majority of it will still be done at home.
The other option would be shared vehicles, where you do not have a vehicle at home, they are all in a charging dock and you press a macro button on your phone for it to drive around to where you happen to be when you want it.
This would require a huge mind set change, though it happened with the switch from horse and carriage to car .

loner

Big Tea wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 18:45
100 years ago who would have believed there would be almost no water troughs for horses and you would be able to buy huge amounts of flammable liquid at a dozen places within 10min of city centers.
more than 100 years ago some one wanted to provide wireless power to the masses

of course the evil oil emperors wouldn't let it happen .. keeping the human cattles in oil addiction for ages.. and counting....
but TPTB finally have something new to say
ICE termination
para bellum.