McLaren P1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Pup
Pup

McLaren P1

Our first glimpse of the F1 successor and aspiring Veyron killer...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012 ... eyron.html

Set to unseat current icons like the Bugatti Veyron, McLaren’s successor to the legendary F1 is rumored to cost £800,000 and will get its in-person debut later this month during the Paris Motor Show. Specific details about the car are still unconfirmed, but the automaker says it has one goal for the wheeled weapon; being the best driver’s car in the world on both the street and track.

“Our aim is not necessarily to be the fastest in absolute top speed but to be the quickest and most rewarding series production road car on a circuit,” McLaren Automotive managing director Antony Sheriff said. “It is the true test of a supercar’s all round ability and a much more important technical statement. Our goal is to make the McLaren P1 the most exciting, most capable, most technologically advanced and most dynamically accomplished supercar ever made.”

Despite power specifications not being available, it’s already known that the car will harbor the same 3.8-liter V8 as it’s lesser 12C cousin, though with much more power. All that remains to be seen now is how it will actually stack up to other wildly priced supercars. Rumors suggest the car will offer 960 hp.

“The McLaren P1 will be the result of 50 years of racing and road car heritage,” McLaren Automotive executive chairman Ron Dennis said. ”Twenty years ago we raised the supercar performance bar with the McLaren F1 and our goal with the McLaren P1 is to redefine it once again.”

Morteza

Re: McLaren P1

In terms of appearance I prefer F1. This one does not even comes close to that old car.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Pierce89

I think the agressive looks are way better than the tame 12c
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pup
Pup

To me, it's better than the 12c, but not nearly as timeless as the F1. Looks a bit like the offspring of an MC12 and an Elise.

Not sure about the Amazon logo front end, either...

Morteza

Pup wrote:To me, it's better than the 12c, but not nearly as timeless as the F1. Looks a bit like the offspring of an MC12 and an Elise.
That's exactly what I thought- Lotus Elise and MP4-12C. The thing is F1 is in a league of its own
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

marcush.

the real thing is just in another league guys .I´m currently somewhere in Spain driving round in circles and had some white black blurred vision of a missile stopping now and then for heat soak testing ....boy that thing is awesome...even in standstill .
The treatment behind the front wheels is a bit different to the pictures published above ...the nostrils at the front look
quite cool and that difusser is just insane..
There is absolutely NO resembleance to Elises -different world (I have worked almost a decade on Elises) the whole shape of the car is tight waisted and boasts dynamics ..a very sexy beast and it is quite compact actually.

FoxHound

I'm not overly convinced by the design, but I'm willing to give it time to settle in to my psyche.
I just read on BBC news that the car was designed with both hamiltons and buttons needs in mind. A bit schizophrenic then?!
JET set

michika12

Morteza wrote:In terms of appearance I prefer F1. This one does not even comes close to that old car.
Yes I agree.. F1 is also my best choice. hmm :idea:

marcush.

I actually know people who own a few of those F1s and they happen to be nitpicky about the understeery characteristic....so it seems it all is a matter of perspective.
The F1 is definetly pure an engineers masterpiece when P1 is an engineering masterpiece...this thing is going to hurt porsche and ferrari a lot as it is going through the full circle of validation and that will ensure it is a thret to the established
OEMs .The F1 with not even 100units produced was neveer going to matter to the world ..this one has the potential to unsettle.

Nando

Looks like crap to be honest. Trying waaay to hard and the end result is a Mazda.

what happened to the more sane designs like F1 or the latest MP4-12C?
This looks like the designer was on a LSD trip throughout the process.

If they really want to carry the F1 badge further then it has to be a center point driving position.
That´s one of the key traits of the F1.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

AnthonyG

I dislike the fact that they've used so much fake plastic mesh at the rear , it's so un-mclaren, what happend to form follows function?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Pierce89

Where did this idea that Mclaren always ignores looks for performance come from. I'm too lazy to dig them up, but I've read many quotes before that Mclaren puts a lot of work into aesthetics. Their initial nose this year sacrificed a bit of performance potential for aesthetics.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

AnthonyG

I don't mind easthetics, but faking a cooling inlet/outlet is something I've never been a fan of.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

marcush.

Having seen the car in real ,I can tell you the rear of the car is open -there is no false opening-at least on the Prototype car.
I don´t think it would make sense to validate the car with parts missing that would certainly influence the thermal conditions in the engine bay.

mzivtins

Pierce89 wrote:Where did this idea that Mclaren always ignores looks for performance come from. I'm too lazy to dig them up, but I've read many quotes before that Mclaren puts a lot of work into aesthetics. Their initial nose this year sacrificed a bit of performance potential for aesthetics.
As we later found, that was a bluff. The floor design was why the whole think looked the way it did, no one in f1 would sacrifice performance for looks.

When their 3mm tolerance floor was banned we started to see changes that ended up with the nose being changed.

Anyway, i think the P1 looks great, the incorporated rear lights are just gorgeous.