McLaren P1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
the EDGE

Re: McLaren P1

SectorOne wrote:
McMrocks wrote:Sadly it is the Lamborghinian way of design. Edges, Edges, Edges. For the reason of design not for aerodynamics. :roll:
I don´t think you can make that statement because A, it´s not Lamborghini and B, it´s Mclaren´s track car which means there will be even more focus on aerodynamics.
And C, I see no "edges" just beautiful curves and a big fat deffuser, what is it you think should be changed McMrocks?

Pierce89

the EDGE wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
McMrocks wrote:Sadly it is the Lamborghinian way of design. Edges, Edges, Edges. For the reason of design not for aerodynamics. :roll:
I don´t think you can make that statement because A, it´s not Lamborghini and B, it´s Mclaren´s track car which means there will be even more focus on aerodynamics.
And C, I see no "edges" just beautiful curves and a big fat deffuser, what is it you think should be changed McMrocks?
How can you see no edges? It does look like a Lambo.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

the EDGE

How can you see no edges? It does look like a Lambo
yes, on the diffuser and the rear wing, where u would expect to find them...just like an F1 car, but the body, the roof, the wings...all nicely curved like the original P1, nothing like a lambo

SectorOne

Not even Jennifer Lopez can touch this rear end ;)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ergenomic

Looks great. I believe this is a strong hint on the livery of the F1 car next year. I speculate, the silver/gun-metal will be replaced by metallic white (honda) and will leave us with a great looking F1 car.

theblackangus

I think the P1 has great lines, conservative but still powerful looking. Definitely not too angular.

Ill go out on a limb here and say the recent volume production lambos haven't been crazy enough.
The new gallardo should have *looked* like the sesto elemento, understand it couldn't be the right price with the materials used, but the shape could still have been as "wild".

I love lambos because they were off the wall, since audi bought them they have been too "clinical" to me. Better mechanically yes, better looking no.
Dont get me wrong I still think they look good, but not nearly what a lambo could/should look.

SectorOne

theblackangus wrote:Dont get me wrong I still think they look good, but not nearly what a lambo could/should look.
Only the Countach really looked mental though. The Diablo is actually quite sanitized in it´s looks and the same thing you see in the Gallardo, Murcielago and the new Huracan.

Seems to me the Countach was an anomaly in crazy designs compared to what they actually put on the streets prior to Audi buying them.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NoDivergence

ergenomic wrote:Looks great. I believe this is a strong hint on the livery of the F1 car next year. I speculate, the silver/gun-metal will be replaced by metallic white (honda) and will leave us with a great looking F1 car.
Doubt it. This livery mimics the colorscheme of the first prototype McLaren F1 GTR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ ... 25_063.jpg

Andres125sx

SectorOne wrote:
theblackangus wrote:Dont get me wrong I still think they look good, but not nearly what a lambo could/should look.
Only the Countach really looked mental though.
errr.....

ergenomic

NoDivergence wrote:
ergenomic wrote:Looks great. I believe this is a strong hint on the livery of the F1 car next year. I speculate, the silver/gun-metal will be replaced by metallic white (honda) and will leave us with a great looking F1 car.
Doubt it. This livery mimics the colorscheme of the first prototype McLaren F1 GTR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ ... 25_063.jpg
Fair point, but I think the 650S Sprint livery is something like what I had in mind when I described the P1 being an indication of the F1 livery next year. Take a look at this: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mclaren- ... to-2851184

SectorOne

Andres125sx wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
Only the Countach really looked mental though.
errr.....
That car was produced under the reign of Audi. Not prior.

Andres125sx

And.... :?:

You both were stating Lambo does not do mental cars anymore since Audi bought it, and you said even before Audi they only produced one mental car, the Countach, so you actually don´t consider Lamborghini as a manufacturer that design mental cars, no matter what era we talk about

To me the Veneno is quite mental, and I could give you more examples, Reventon was mind blowing when it was released
SectorOne wrote:
Only the Countach really looked mental though. The Diablo is actually quite sanitized in it´s looks and the same thing you see in the Gallardo, Murcielago and the new Huracan.
Anycase they´re similar to Porsche, they don´t do big changes in design, they prefer to keep their line without mayor changes. Even so, Veneno... :shock:

acosmichippo

The weird thing with Lambo now is that their production cars seem pretty tame, whereas the special edition cars like the Veneno and Sesto Elemento are properly insane. I wish they would take more elements from those special edition cars and put them into their regular production runs.

SectorOne

Andres125sx wrote:And.... :?:

You both were stating Lambo does not do mental cars anymore since Audi bought it, and you said even before Audi they only produced one mental car, the Countach, so you actually don´t consider Lamborghini as a manufacturer that design mental cars, no matter what era we talk about
No i wasn´t, i responded to the claim that Lamborghini´s somehow should look mental when in fact, the majority of the cars are the exact opposite.

Bar one car, the Countach. So this whole mental thing came when Audi got into the picture.

The Veneno, the SUV, the Egoista, Sesto Elemento etc.
If you look through history the cars are far from mental, it´s only after Audi came in where the batsh*t crazy took over completely.

Thankfully the normal cars still have some decency left in them.

theblackangus

Andres125sx wrote:And.... :?:

To me the Veneno is quite mental, and I could give you more examples, Reventon was mind blowing when it was released
SectorOne wrote:
Anycase they´re similar to Porsche, they don´t do big changes in design, they prefer to keep their line without mayor changes. Even so, Veneno... :shock:
In my original post I specifically said "Ill go out on a limb here and say the recent volume production lambos haven't been crazy enough."

I agree the Sesto Elemento and Veneno are mental enough, but I wouldn't really count them as volume production.
Every lambo should be as crazy awesome as those two. :twisted: