Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
johnny comelately

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Edis wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 11:24
Cold Fussion wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 06:59
ME4ME wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 09:40
I'm no engine expert but I was under the impression that a V10 is inherenty smoother than a V6. Also not sure why a V12 would be any smoother than a V6. Care to elaborate on this?
A V12 naturally has balanced primary and secondary forces where as V6s and V10s do not.
Not true, V6, V10 and V12 engines does not have any free inertia forces. Primary aswell as secondary is balanced. The problem with the V6, just like the I3, I5 and V10 is that they have free moments; that is the inertia forces are not balanced in the center of the engine. As a result, the engine will "rock" back and forth. An inline six is basically two mirrored I3 engines, which is used to cancel out the free moments of the I3. For a V6, just like with the I3, a balance shaft is needed to deal with the free moments.
Thank you for that clear explanation

humble sabot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8gLhcEyU7w

Apparently the motor's running on the dynos.
I really like the double diffuser treatment.
Marek seems to think that the current state of the engineering will in fact put it back in that "F1" camp :-s
Proof in the pudding, hopefully they get going on the outdoor development soon. This is the third full size styling buck.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Tim.Wright

humble sabot wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 00:10
I really like the double diffuser treatment.
You sure it's a double diffuser? I don't see the point on a road car. They were used in F1 as a loophole around the rules regarding diffuser size but on a roadcar you can make make it as big as you want.
Not the engineer at Force India

humble sabot

Well i guess it's a bit more like the flipups on the current F1 uprights really, but it comes together overall pretty clean.

best still shots here: https://www.autoblog.com/photos/aston-m ... neva-2018/
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

lukaskupasz

The engine may well be a V12 if SpiceBoy's cheeky comment to Sky meant anything during practice yesterday.
His 'secretive yet revealing' comment may also hold the truth about the 'exotic' engine manufacturer they are linking with for next season and beyond.

VARIANT | one

humble sabot wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:39
And the above complaints are why we get saddled with crossovers and honda fits when it comes to plebian money.

That is not hard to get into. First he's playing it up; second he's trying not to damage it because it's a mockup and not made of structural composites; and third, he's an out of shape upperclass knob more concerned with the creases in his overpriced chinos than actually getting in and out of the car.
Of course the point is moot, because the people who bought them have already decided they can "handle" it. I truly don't understand this obsession with "ingress/egress". I know a car does all the work for you once you're in it, but shouldn't that be enough that it's worth putting a tiny bit of effort into accessing it? Horseback riders do all the time.
:roll:
people are so damn boring
Amen, brother Sabot!

Ever hear a sportbike (or pretty much anything other than a step-through) rider BITCH about having to heave his leg over the saddle. Jesustapdancingchrist people, its a SPORTS car... it's beyond a SPORTS car. Ever seen anyone work hard and extend the limits of their physical selves playing, you know, SPORTS. If you moan about getting into a 3G trackday car, you're gonna moan about your neck at 3Gs.

You. Lazy. Fat. Fu #-o I'm out.

gandharva

I want to see this monster in action!

SiLo

Late to this thread but I assume it was agreed early on that this won't be faster than an F1 car.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

Hi SiLo, you'd think that, wouldn't you. But back at the start of the thread there was a suggestion or two by some people that it would be as fast, if not faster, than an F1 car. I'm not sure whether those people have ever moved on from that position.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 14:37
Hi SiLo, you'd think that, wouldn't you. But back at the start of the thread there was a suggestion or two by some people that it would be as fast, if not faster, than an F1 car. I'm not sure whether those people have ever moved on from that position.
Didn´t Aston Martin state that their claim will only be true for the track only version (no road legal)?

I´ve never bought it, but I think that´s their claim

Just_a_fan

The original intention appeared to be a road car that was faster than an F1 car:
Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer said that the mission was clear: its limited edition model will have to be quicker than F1.

When asked if the AM-RB 001 had to be the fastest road car ever created, he said: "If you put it out there, somebody will always try to beat you - which is probably the point.
"As we sit here today, the raison d'etre that we've given the team is to be faster than an F1 car around Silverstone – or indeed any other F1 track.
"I am sure there are other cars that can go in straight lines quicker than this. We don't make drag cars, we make cars you can use. That is the raison d'etre we use."

Andres125sx

Yes that was their original claim, but I think later in the project they corrected theirselves saying that will only hold true for the track only version.

I read it in this thread, or through a link posted here

flmkane

SiLo wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 12:11
Late to this thread but I assume it was agreed early on that this won't be faster than an F1 car.
It was DEFINITELY not agreed on by certain persons

Just_a_fan

You only have to look at the differences between road car and track-day versions to see that the road car won't get close. The track version is more like a version of Porsche's 919 Evo thingy with lots of ground hugging aero addenda. I have little doubt the track version will be monumentally rapid around a race circuit.