Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

I agree with just_a_fan and I know of F1 teams using unbrako catalogue bolts for non-essential bracketry.
Sure, they do use racy individually designed multiphase bolts when it's called for but no one designs bespoke fasteners for freaking cable guides.

Fwiw your average corsa has "bespoke" cylinder head studs.

Tzk
Tzk

I‘d expect custom wheelnuts and maybe special fasteners for the engine. But you usually use regular screws (i consider titanium as a regular screw) just because it‘s so much easier and cheaper. Also maintenance is easier. Why on earth would one use for ex. Super special screws for the seats or parts of the dashboard?

P.S.

The Valkyrie engine remindes me to a motorbike engine... The one from the Ducati Panigale 1199 (2011) to be precise. If you mount 6 of those on a chrank, you would get a 7,2 liter V 12.

The Panigale V2 produced, I guess due more easy emission regs, 195 hp at 10750 rpm. Times six would result in a whooper 1170 HP.

I didn´t follow the thread properly In case someone already mentioned, just ignore.

roon

Front wing has more elements.

the EDGE

A nice track-day toy, not sure you’d want to take it on a long drive on the roads however, so why make it road legal? If you have the money to buy it, then you have the money to transport it

Just_a_fan

They set out to make a road legal car that would lap a track as quickly as an F1 car. That's the whole point of the car, so that's why it's road legal.

Of course, they have also produced a hardcore track-only version which, presumably, is the one that is actually aimed at the F1 claim. Which does make the whole thing entirely pointless. But it's great that they've built the road version anyway. We still need pointless stuff from committed people. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

the EDGE

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:24
We still need pointless stuff from committed people
But that’s just my point, you have to stand on the seat to get in it, sit with your feet higher than your bum, laying back like in an F1 car and you have about as much room as a banana still in its skin

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you have too.

Don’t get me wrong, hats off to AM & AN, but still I pose the question, what is the point in making it road legal when you wouldn’t want to drive it on the road?

Just my personal option, people are free to have theirs too

Just_a_fan

Perhaps here is the answer:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... n-concepts
Aston Martin's concept for their next Vanquish looks like it borrows an awful lot from the AMR01.

Build a "pointless" halo car and then base your next high end "real" car on it.

Phil

the EDGE wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 10:36
A nice track-day toy, not sure you’d want to take it on a long drive on the roads however, so why make it road legal? If you have the money to buy it, then you have the money to transport it
Most/many people who own a car like this, dont track their cars nor drive them anywhere close to the limit...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Just_a_fan

Another thought on the "why?" question. Remember that these cars are bought by the types of people who just have to have it if it is rare and expensive. Bugatti sells their cars to people who, on average, have 30 cars. Most of those will probably never be driven either. They are baubles, intended to show the wealth and taste of their owners. Bugatti sold a one-off car recently for nearly £10million. That makes it the most expensive new car ever sold. Sold to a Bugatti regular who just said "yes" when they phoned him/her and asked if they wanted it. How likely is it that it will be driven on the roads? Back in the day, when the McLaren F1 was made, many were bought as investment pieces. That was a shrewd investment as they are now several million to buy. Some were driven on the roads - notably Rowan Atkinson did tens of thousands of miles in his. He crashed it too and it cost an awful lot to rebuild.

These cars are not intended for the likes of you and me (I assume you don't have the money to buy such a thing, my apologies if I have that wrong :D ). We don't need to "get" why they exist.

Holm86

the EDGE wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
But that’s just my point, you have to stand on the seat to get in it, sit with your feet higher than your bum, laying back like in an F1 car and you have about as much room as a banana still in its skin

Don’t get me wrong, hats off to AM & AN, but still I pose the question, what is the point in making it road legal when you wouldn’t want to drive it on the road?

So in your world, every roadcar that has more than 50bhp, and a topspeed higher than 70mph is pointless and should not be build?

TwanV

I would drive it on the road...

the EDGE

Holm86 wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 12:22
the EDGE wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

So in your world, every roadcar that has more than 50bhp, and a topspeed higher than 70mph is pointless and should not be build?
Why would you draw that conclusion? All I’m saying is there is a difference between road legal & road usable, and if it turns out not to be road useable then why make it road legal?

For example, the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Porsch etc. all have electronic limiters on their engines, because there is no point in them going much over 200mph, there isn’t a track, runway, or many roads built long and straight enough to achieve it on

But you can accelerate to 60mph in less than 3 seconds everywhere, that is the magic figure you are looking for, and that is why people buy these cars

the EDGE

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 12:01
Perhaps here is the answer:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... n-concepts
Aston Martin's concept for their next Vanquish looks like it borrows an awful lot from the AMR01.

Build a "pointless" halo car and then base your next high end "real" car on it.
Well that would seem to be a valid reason, also a marketing gimmick would be another I suspect, it gives them bragging rights

Holm86

the EDGE wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 13:23
Holm86 wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 12:22
the EDGE wrote:

Why would you draw that conclusion? All I’m saying is there is a difference between road legal & road usable, and if it turns out not to be road useable then why make it road legal?

For example, the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Porsch etc. all have electronic limiters on their engines, because there is no point in them going much over 200mph, there isn’t a track, runway, or many roads built long and straight enough to achieve it on

But you can accelerate to 60mph in less than 3 seconds everywhere, that is the magic figure you are looking for, and that is why people buy these cars
Because of this statement you made "Just because you can, doesn’t mean you have too."
Which I totally disagree with. I think you HAVE to do anything you can, thats what drives innovation and what keeps technology moving forward.

They do it for the engineering challenge, its not a challenge just to create a track beast, its just a matter of budget. You can always add more downforce, more power, and make super soft tires that hold up for a single lap.

But doing it while still having to comply with emission standards, passenger and pedestrian security, road legal tires etc. etc. then it becomes a challenge.

And im not so sure it'll be as uncomfortable as you think, yes it'll be awkward to get in and out of, but when you're seated, I think it'll be fine.

But I can see some lawsuits coming Aston Martin's way, when that massive diffuser starts hurling stones at other cars on the highway :D