UK to end hydrocarbon-fuelled cars in 2040

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
roon

Re: UK to end hydrocarbon-fuelled cars in 2040

strad wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 20:38
But you agree that the much smaller levels of another gas have a dramatic effect.
No,no, no all I did was point out it, CO2 is part of trace elements in the atmosphere. I didn't say that any of those others were responsible either. Actually none of the so called green house gases are responsible.
Why are you arguing that small quantities of a compound can't have influence, simply because they are small? By this logic, all the chemists working for F1's fuel suppliers are wasting their time, tweaking the trace elements of fuels; as trace elements can have no macro-scale effects.

I have a challenge for you: explain why the surface of Venus is hotter than the surface of Mercury.

strad

You're kidding right?
There is a world of difference between a relatively small amount of gasoline and the entire earths atmosphere.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon

strad wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 21:12
You're kidding right?
There is a world of difference between a relatively small amount of gasoline and the entire earths atmosphere.
You are now arguing that the phenomenons of scale, symmetry, and fractals, do not exist.

Now you should explain how viscosity has no influence upon aerodynamics, because the molecular scale interactions of materials are too far removed in size to have any appreciable effect upon the relatively massive flow of air over a vehicle.

The mass of a tank of gas compared to the mass of a earth's atmosphere being removed by about sixteen orders of magnitude; viscosity and airflow around a vehicle having a disparity of about ten to eleven orders of magnitude.

When comparing two systems, size alone does not render the comparison moot. If scale alone limited the usefulness of a comparison, wind tunnels and CFD would not see regular use.
Last edited by roon on 04 Jul 2018, 00:28, edited 2 times in total.

henry

strad wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 20:38
But you agree that the much smaller levels of another gas have a dramatic effect.
No,no, no all I did was point out it, CO2 is part of trace elements in the atmosphere. I didn't say that any of those others were responsible either. Actually none of the so called green house gases are responsible.
That brings up how they keep moving the goalposts. First it was greenhouse effect, then it was global warming, then it was climate change. Now it's heads they win, tails we lose.
Whatever event happens they claim they predicted it and it's caused by climate change.
If it snows, it's climate change, if it doesn't snow it's climate change. If there are tornados it's climate change, no tornados? climate change.
They have predicted increased hurricanes because of climate change and when it was shown that we have had record low numbers of hurricanes making landfall they said that was because of climate change. Heads they win tails we lose. They have predicted climate change to affect everything. An increase in prostitution ...really.. an increase in prostitution??? An increase in earthquakes? Seriously? Whatever happens it's climate change and they predicted it.
I see the problem.

When you agreed that emissions from volcanoes have a cooling effect you assumed that effect was entirely due to the ash. The reality is that the main causation effect is the SO2. In the case of Mt Pinutabo a volume of gas you would call a trace of a trace caused a 0.5°C reduction in global temperatures. So you were being consistent with your earlier statement:
.04% is not heating the earth... there is just not enough
You also put methane in the same category, I don’t think many would agree with you on that.

Just as we disagree on the impact of “trace” gases I think we also disagree on the definition of climate. All the examples you give are what I would classify as weather related.

In my estimation weather and climate are distinct, climate happens over much greater areas an longer time scales than weather.

On an off topic note, can I ask why you don’t include poster details and link back when you post replies? It makes it difficult to follow the course of a conversation.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 18:18

Do they live twice as long maybe... :twisted:
The figures I saw were per annum. Fairly sure even beef lives for a year.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Tommy Cookers wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:43
grass-fed or not there's now low-methane feed coming in
though it's not long ago we were told the ants and/or termites were the big methane villains

Drax is of course offering an CO2-removal capability (power from burning wood pellets - extracting CO2 from the flue gas)
Drax is small potatoes, even though it was the UK's biggest coal burner...

I remember playing school boy rugby in the shadow of Drax. I think it was there that my nose was broken. Still bent even now 30+ years later. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

In my estimation weather and climate are distinct, climate happens over much greater areas an longer time scales than weather.
henry
You may differentiate but the I.P.C.C. does not. Nor their talking heads. What I have posted is all quotes from either the I.P.C.C. or their talking heads.
Their own words show them for what they are. All come from either their speeches, e-mails or reports.
Quite frankly the warmists like the Aztecs believe sacrificial offerings are necessary to stabilize the climate.
I wonder how many that now on the bandwagon will feel the same when the price of everything goes through the roof because of gas rationing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon

strad wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 01:13
henry
You may differentiate but the I.P.C.C. does not. Nor their talking heads. What I have posted is all quotes from either the I.P.C.C. or their talking heads.
Their own words show them for what they are. All come from either their speeches, e-mails or reports.
Quite frankly the warmists like the Aztecs believe sacrificial offerings are necessary to stabilize the climate.
I wonder how many that now on the bandwagon will feel the same when the price of everything goes through the roof because of gas rationing.
No bandwagons here. This should be evident from my posts. You studiously avoided my previous prompt:

roon wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 21:03
I have a challenge for you: explain why the surface of Venus is hotter than the surface of Mercury.
Your trace elements musings are interesting. You may try to explain your hypothesis to a police officer, if you're ever pulled over for drunk driving.

"0.08%, ociffer? That's just trace alcohol! No influence at all. How could it influence? Can't you see how small that number is? I bet you're a warmist."

strad

Even though Venus has high CO2 it also has a much much thicker atmosphere overall.
Not just CO2.
Why are you trying to be confrontational?
Are you that certain you have all the answers? I have said I don't, but that I find it very difficult to believe in people who have admitted they are lying. Have you even looked at the climate gate e-mails?
Why must every subject on this board become so argumentative? Why can't there be civil debate?
It makes me sorry I ever brought it up.
I'd just as soon we got back to F1.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Roon;
I haven't been rude or confrontational with you or anyone else in this thread.
Why are you making it personal?
Sir Stirling Moss

hollus

Strad, of course there are plenty of scientists in both sides of this debate. With hundreds of thousands of scientists, "trace scientists" make a healthy number!

The IPCC might have done way more politics than is healthy for scientists (note: scientists play power games... just like all other trades), but they are only a fraction of the people studying climate.

And while it is healthy to listen to both sides of the debate, it appears that many try to misinterpret anything that can be misinterpreted after "their minds are made up".

Examples from this thread:
They can't predict the weather next week but they want you to believe they can predict weather 20 years out.
They cannot predict "weather" 20 years out, but maybe they can predict "climate" 20 years out.
Statistical thermodinamics come to mind, or maybe Asimov's psychohistory (which is 100% inspired on statistical thermodynamics). I cannot predict if Hamilton will be in the podium next race, but I can predict that he will be in the top 3 at the end of the championship. And if he ends up 4th in the WC, that won't make the prediction "wrong". I cannot predict which second his engine might have a detonation, but I can predict the total number of detonation events over the weekend rather well (or at lest Mercedes' engineers can).
The I.P.C.C. chief admitted that they, the I.P.C.C., were an arm of world governments and serves at their beck and call.
"We are an inter governmental body and we do what the governments of the world want us to do. If the governments decide we should do and if they decide we should do things differently and come up with a vastly different products we would be at their beck and call "
We are an inter governmental body -> We work for governments (100% accurate)
we do what the governments of the world want us to do -> Make reports that can be used for informing policy. There is even a "report for policymakers" in every edition.
if they decide we should do things differently and come up with a vastly different products -> say something more geeky, or something more simplified. Say something broken down regionally. Or maybe just come with the best prediction instead of a range of scenarios. Etc.
we would be at their beck and call -> Because we work for governments, we do a service for governments.
At no point do they say "we will taylor the results to what they want to hear". One could interpret those words like that, but it is not in the words themselves.
Have a few in a group of thousands working very publically over decades been caught lying a few times. YES. Could it be expected otherwise? They are humans.
That brings up how they keep moving the goalposts. First it was greenhouse effect, then it was global warming, then it was climate change.
Those three are descriptions of the same thing in different words. The terminology adapts a bit because, if the explanations are too detailed and complex, it often gets misinterpreted (but is snows in Trump's city), and if it is too simplified and simple, if often gets misinterpreted (but it snows in Trump's city!).

I might be guilty of the same (or rather the opposite) bias, but one gets the feeling that one side gets the benefit of being assumed to "never lie" and not to have any vested interests, while the other side is thought to "always lie".
Rivals, not enemies.

henry

strad wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 01:13
henry
I understand
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

J.A.W.

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 23:26
Tommy Cookers wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:43
grass-fed or not there's now low-methane feed coming in
though it's not long ago we were told the ants and/or termites were the big methane villains

Drax is of course offering an CO2-removal capability (power from burning wood pellets - extracting CO2 from the flue gas)
Drax is small potatoes, even though it was the UK's biggest coal burner...

I remember playing school boy rugby in the shadow of Drax. I think it was there that my nose was broken. Still bent even now 30+ years later. :lol:
Hah! For sure, IME.. if you didn't cop a decent blood nose playing school-boy rugby, you were likely deemed, a bloody sook..

But as to the actual value of climate predictions.. decades hence.. well, check this one out from 40 years ago..

"Climate scientists believe.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_861us8D9M
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

jjn9128

Bringing it back around to cars - the original topic - there was a point about battery electric vehicles being more harmful in raw materials...etc some time back (can't find it through all the climate change arguments). This is a piece of research from MIT accounting for all the mining and processes going into manufacturing cars - finding most EV's are cleaner long term than their petroleum ICE counterparts.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.6b00177

The fact I highlighted most was because some popular media (I think the Daily Mail and Sun ran it in the UK) chose to cherry pick the data from the exceptions - this is how misinformation on these sorts of topics spreads. In this case the researchers actually responded to the stupidity.
https://www.ft.com/content/d14b6c8a-c61 ... 2b2cb39656

I cannot fathom why people wouldn't want EV's ... they're cheaper to run (especially when you charge at home), you have high torque through the whole rev range so they just keep accelerating, you get energy back into the battery when braking or going down hill which in a petrol car just goes to waste, a load of them are really cool looking, they're quiet - maybe that's the only downside (for some) that they don't go vroom vroom loud enough.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Cold Fussion

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 10:44
I cannot fathom why people wouldn't want EV's ... they're cheaper to run (especially when you charge at home), you have high torque through the whole rev range so they just keep accelerating, you get energy back into the battery when braking or going down hill which in a petrol car just goes to waste, a load of them are really cool looking, they're quiet - maybe that's the only downside (for some) that they don't go vroom vroom loud enough.
It's probably mostly that people are afraid of change mixed with a bit of range anxiety and long charge times compared to filling up a tank.