Mazda's sparkless gas engine 2018

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
etusch

Mazda's sparkless gas engine 2018

Chery

Re: Mazda's sparkless gas engine 2018

I am also inquiring into the Mazda 2018 engine whether it is down after 2 years k you

outsid3r

I am surprised there wasn't much interest on this topic. This is the same technology Honda are trying to introduce in F1, is it not?

etusch

I don't know if Honda is trying to do it. But want to see them introduce this tech. If Mazda achieved Honda can also achieve or Honda and mazda could work together on this.

godlameroso

No one in F1 uses HCCI in any manner.
Saishū kōnā

bill shoe

Pretty good tech article about this engine-

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ ... ngine.aspx

So how did Mazda do it? We are going to take a few guesses, but as with most technologies, it didn’t happen overnight. In fact, we would say Mazda’s first big step was a few decades ago. The final piece of the puzzle is a technology Mazda has called Spark Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI), and we will exclusively get into how that ties into making HCCI work.

J.A.W.

Yeah.. it really aint no big deal..
..since in fact, Evinrude ETEC marine engines have been on sale for the past decade featuring DI/HCCI-mode..
& they are available in 'heavy fuel' (diesel) operation options too..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

etusch

I like Car Producer which have their own style, like subaru using boxer engines ( porsche also uses and I like porsche too but I like japannese cars more ) like mazda with rotary engine. I think rotary engine will be good with electric motor. I like to see them keeping this motor available. It seems like they are very confident about this tech that they believe they can make sparkless rotary engine.
The most recent Renesis-generation rotary that powered the RX-8 until 2012 was turbo-free aside from the limited-production hydrogen models sold in Japan and Norway. However 13B and 20B engines that preceded it in the FD RX-7 and JC Cosmo both used twin-sequential turbos to overcome the engine's intrinsic torque deficit at low revs.

The SkyActiv-R's biggest gain will likely revolve around the way it burns fuel, with Mazda developing unique methods for analysing and measuring the combustion process. Fujiwara explained that regular piston engines can be analysed with standard techniques, but the lack of such tools for rotary engines has hampered their efficiency in the past.

Previous rotary engines have also been compromised by the need to locate the spark plug outside the combustion chamber to allow the rotor to sweep past, but Fujiwara confirms this has been solved for the SkyActiv-R.

Considering the high compression ratio used by rotaries in general, this seems a natural fit with the homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) expected for the second-generation SkyActiv 2 technology due in 2020. Like diesel engines, HCCI relies on extra-high compression to ignite fuel,eliminating the need for spark plugs altogether and reducing consumption and emissions significantly.

Fujiwara declined to officially confirm the move to compression ignition, but his wry smile response hinted this suggestion isn't far off the mark.

Given the likelihood the production RX-Vision will arrive as part of Mazda's 100th birthday celebrations in 2020, the incorporation of such landmark technology would make a lot of sense.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/m ... tion-36576

roon

bill shoe wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 22:15
Pretty good tech article about this engine-

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ ... ngine.aspx

So how did Mazda do it? We are going to take a few guesses, but as with most technologies, it didn’t happen overnight. In fact, we would say Mazda’s first big step was a few decades ago. The final piece of the puzzle is a technology Mazda has called Spark Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI), and we will exclusively get into how that ties into making HCCI work.
Just ran across this article myself. The author speculates that VVT & EGR are used as a coarse control, with spark and fuel injection used for fine control.
SPCCI is genius because it uses the same physics which causes knock, to well, cause knock. Remember, Skyactiv-G uses direct injection and Skyactiv-D uses fuel injectors which can spray many times in one combustion cycle. So, what we think SPCCI does is spray a tiny bit of fuel right at the spark plug and the fuel is ignited- creating a little frame front. That flame front then increases the pressure and temperature in the homogenous mixture; basically, the mixture is getting compressed from below by the piston and then above by this tiny flame front. The tiny flame front increases the pressure until the whole enchilada goes off. As fuel and spark can be controlled very precisely and very quickly, it gives the superfast fine-tuning adjustability knob to control the timing of the full HCCI combustion in the cylinder.
A controlled flame front acting as a sort of second piston face. Except that one 'piston' has a variable shape and approach. The remaining fuel-air charge that gets sandwiched between these two faces enters HCCI.

This reminds me of TJI or CVCC in the sense of using a small, controllable combustion moment to initiate a larger one.

Brake Horse Power

godlameroso wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 18:56
Recently Christian Horner said in an interview on motorsport.com

"They’ve taken away the sound; the passion and they’ve added too much complexity. They’ve become far removed from road car technology; they’re effectively turning into diesel engines in some cases."

Wouldn't he be referring to HCCI here?

AJI
AJI

Brake Horse Power wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 00:13
godlameroso wrote:

"They’ve taken away the sound; the passion and they’ve added too much complexity. They’ve become far removed from road car technology; they’re effectively turning into diesel engines in some cases."

They have to use spark for ignition, it's in the rules, so it can't be HCCI. I guess you could say TJI is a hybrid of SI and HCCI?

Edax

Brake Horse Power wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

He might be, but mainly I think he is referring to the fact that his engine supplier has troubles getting it right. Therefore the only logical conclusion is that it is too complex 8)

And I do find the technology interesting. I wonder what the real benefits are apart from the outrageous marketing claims. I can imagine that the benefits for a road car are substantial. But how about an F1 car? Do the laws of diminishing returns strike a big dent in the efficiency gains since the F1 powerplants are already so efficient?

godlameroso

Brake Horse Power wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

RCI
Saishū kōnā

Pat Pending

Brake Horse Power wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

He was probably having a pop at Merc & Ferrari for oil burning.

Smokes

Just to clarify this engine is not Sparkless...

From the animations of it

It uses a sparkplug and a direct injector to spray a rich mixture of fuel over the plug to ignite the lean mixture in the chamber this allows the compression ratio to be increased to 11:1 or somewhere around that. and ensures combustion all the way through the power stroke of the cylinder.