VWs Pikes Peaks EV

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
bdr529

Re: VWs Pikes Peaks EV

strad wrote:
26 May 2018, 19:48
but people are stupid and do all kinds of stupid things.
Hey !!!... I resemble that comment :lol:

jh199

To try and move back on topic, the electric car record is held by the e0 pp100 with an 8:57.118. That car had about twice the power and weighed roughly the same as the VW (1190kW and 1200kg vs 680Hp and ~1133kg) and had plenty of aero too. VW looks like it is working the underside a lot more than the pp100 though. The side skirts and front splitter on the VW should aid the floor tremendously while the pp100 doesn't seem to optimize the floor at all. The VW should be more aero efficient than the pp100 but I doubt it will overcome the power deficit...

The only saving grace for VW is that the pp100 drivetrain failed halfway through their run, costing them ~30 seconds. Maybe VW can make up time at the top of the hill where the pp100 struggled

(Via Drive e0)

I love VW but don't think this car will be quick enough for the electric record, but please, prove me wrong VW! :D [-o<

roon

Custom Michelins? Sidewalls look quite tall/round.

J.A.W.

Seems that VW have the ground clear.. they've got Kiwi electro-champ Millen ensconced- in a Bentley 'soccer-mom' -bus..

http://ppihc.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... r-List.pdf

& below, here's Millen stunt-driving an iconic 'merican muscle machine..

(I'd sooner see him goin' up P.P.- in the good ol' General, than pound a fat Anglo-Deutsche 'mom-bus' - up that thar hill).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R__cRZAVCA
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

roon

Scorpaguy

This a great looking car and a nice formula IMHO. In fact, Formula E should have adopted a similar platform instead of that F1 copycat thing they did...although the season 5 car looks better.

djos

Jeez, the Diesel cheating, monkey spankers at VAG sure built a sweet EV racer! =D>

Isn't it amazing what you can do when you are trying to rebuild your reputation! :mrgreen:
"In downforce we trust"

J.A.W.

djos wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 01:28
Jeez, the Diesel cheating, monkey spankers at VAG sure built a sweet EV racer! =D>

Isn't it amazing what you can do when you are trying to rebuild your reputation! :mrgreen:
Yeah, & I wonder if the Porsche 919 'lap record stunt team' also had Pike's Peak - on their 'to do' list, too..
but were told "No!" by VAG corporate - so as not to - 'rain on their parade'?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

roon

djos wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 01:28
Indeed.

Scorpaguy wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 00:44
This a great looking car and a nice formula IMHO.
Pikes Peak seems okay with its entrants succeeding massively, in contrast to just about every other top level motorsport event. Oddly, it's almost as if they are encouraging it... It's this weird sort of event where someone can win the contest, and everyone else accepts that they got beat, and there's no bureaucratic rigmarole following up trying to establish parity. What's that called again? Starts with an R...

djos

I think the advantage the Pikes Peak organisation has is the event is only once per year so they aren't worried about teams not being able to sustain spending over an entire season.
"In downforce we trust"

Fulcrum

djos wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 04:36
I wonder if the 3 pointed swastika will join the club now that they've been busted cheating on emissions too?

I think the advantage the Pikes Peak organisation has is the event is only once per year so they aren't worried about teams not being able to sustain spending over an entire season.
I sense you have watched a certain Aussie car expert / comedic polemicist recently.

djos

Fulcrum wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 07:19
Agreed, I enjoy his content. He seems to be a bit negative on Australia though. Perhaps just highlighting the things he doesn't appreciate for comedic effect?
Well he does live in Sydney, so Shitsville is a pretty accurate description! :mrgreen: I lived there for 3 years and couldn't wait to leave - eventually I moved to Melbourne* and I just love it, great place to live! Having the F1 here is just a bonus. :mrgreen:

*I grew up in Adelaide which started my love of F1. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Ferry

https://www.motorsport.com/hillclimb/ne ... w-1047461/

7m57.148s.

“I had some fog and it was quite humid with some damp in the second section,” Dumas said from the 14,115ft summit of Pikes Peak. “I’m happy with this, but we could have gone quicker if that middle sector had been dry.”

djos

Dam that's impressive! =D>
"In downforce we trust"