Autonomous Cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
strad

Re: Autonomous Cars

this topic is closed as far as I'm concerned. When one of you are so closed minded as to down vote me for posting what happened with Boeing which Boeing admitted was a fault in their systems there is obviously no sense in trying to have an open minded, unprejudiced discussion.
I'm thinking you must have your whole 401K invested in A/Vs.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 19:36
this topic is closed as far as I'm concerned. When one of you are so closed minded as to down vote me for posting what happened with Boeing which Boeing admitted was a fault in their systems there is obviously no sense in trying to have an open minded, unprejudiced discussion.
I downvoted that message, but removed it few minutes later, so you´re too late in your tantrum :mrgreen:

I did downvote because you´re using plane automatisms to bash AVs, when they´re completely different. 3d vs 2d. A vehicle wich can´t go below certain airspeed (and airspeed can vary drastically and unexpectedly due to wind gusts and some other atmospheric phenomenon I don´t know the name in english) vs a vehicle wich can hit the brakes at any moment. Apples to oranges.

Anycase I regret a bit later as I don´t think that really deserve a downvote even if I think that´s not a fair comparison, so removed it :)

But I´m still waiting for you reply about the video I linked. If some accident caused by AI(notice the italics) in planes is enough for you to bash AVs, what about that video with dozens of accidents caused by humans wich have no excuse because just looking at the road would have been enough to prevent it?

subcritical71

strad wrote:
Please don’t go, differing opinions are what makes us all better informed overall. You have brought up some excellent points to be considered. While I may seem polarized in one direction I really am taking a cautious approach. The biggest test for me is, would I put my daughter in one of these cars on a cross country trip, through large metropolitan areas. Right now that answer is no.

The more I read about this Boeing system I do believe it was flawed from the beginning. A deviation in AOA kicked off the autopilot, then when in manual mode the FCS still used that faulty input for flight control. This is one of those bad programming examples. How can one automated system deactivate while another is happy to use AOA that is known faulty!?

AJI
AJI

strad wrote:
this topic is closed as far as I'm concerned...
Sorry strad, this topic (and any speculative topic for that matter) will only be closed when we stop talking about it. For that to happen AV's will have to either become ubiquitous and boring to talk about, or they will have to be responsible for so many deaths that they are internationally banned, forever. I can't see either happening anytime soon..?

subcritical71

Hmmm... interesting article on AV's..

https://nypost.com/2018/11/12/self-driv ... SocialFlow

Big Tea

subcritical71 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 21:02
Hmmm... interesting article on AV's..

https://nypost.com/2018/11/12/self-driv ... SocialFlow
OH, Not MORE, its the only place can get away from it now.

(Mind, not sure I should be driving while I am sleeping :twisted: )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AJI
AJI

The Australian bean counters are preparing for the inevitable. Who woulda thunk it in little old 'straya

http://www.infrastructurevictoria.com.au/AVadvice

Just_a_fan

Planning ahead and figuring out what investment is needed and how to fund it etc. Wow, I wish the Govt in good old Blighty was so forward thinking. They just tax and say "stuff has to change, pass me my gin". #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

AJI wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 23:35
The Australian bean counters are preparing for the inevitable. Who woulda thunk it in little old 'straya

Hum who exactly is “infrastructure Victoria” supposed to be? Certainly not the government.

In any case, sounds like a lot of tax payers money for something i have little faith in. But hey, it’s your tax money, ain’t it AJI?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

AJI
AJI

Phil wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 00:17
AJI wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 23:35

Hum who exactly is “infrastructure Victoria” supposed to be? Certainly not the government.

In any case, sounds like a lot of tax payers money for something i have little faith in. But hey, it’s your tax money, ain’t it AJI?
They're just one of the many consulting firms that governments use to try and get a clear and unbiased view on subjects that politicians can't be trusted with and public servants can't complete in a timely manner.

Have you seen the state of politics in Australia? I'd quite happily farm the lot out to the private sector...

NathanE

The only element of this spend that has sole application for AVs is the $250m (US$150m) for white line improvements. Better wireless networks and power distribution will have much broader application.

It seems therefore to me a very small required investment.

loner

some people talk about A.V others already talking about SEX and the Autonomous Cars :lol:
Autonomous Vehicles And The Rise Of Mobile Sex Workers
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11- ... ex-workers
para bellum.

Big Tea

loner wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 09:01
some people talk about A.V others already talking about SEX and the Autonomous Cars :lol:
Autonomous Vehicles And The Rise Of Mobile Sex Workers
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11- ... ex-workers
I recall reading many years ago an insurance claim that went something like..

Couple having sex in vehicle -at critical point stationary vehicle is hit by other car not allowing 'timely withdrawal' and resulting in pregnancy. How the claim progressed I have no idea, but it could set a precedent

Phil

I have to admit, i am quite surprised at the number of people advocating the prospect of AVs in the near future.

What exactly is it and why?

- sinply excitement over the technology?
- convinience?
- as a means of improved safety?
- efficiency?
- cool science fiction movies that portray that to be the future?

I’d like to understand the hype behind it and why people here are advocating it.

Help me out here...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Big Tea

Phil wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 16:12
I have to admit, i am quite surprised at the number of people advocating the prospect of AVs in the near future.

What exactly is it and why?

- sinply excitement over the technology?
- convinience?
- as a means of improved safety?
- efficiency?
- cool science fiction movies that portray that to be the future?

I’d like to understand the hype behind it and why people here are advocating it.

Help me out here...
In my case, experience.
The number of times I have said "that will be good, but it will be years away yet" ....... and been wrong