Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Big Tea

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:50
nzjrs wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 22:19
Andres125sx wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 17:52
All of you are discussing about charging ports at different points of the city, and that is exactly what that youtuber and myself are trying to explain, that is NOT necessary, not even today. Who needs more than 200miles/300km of daily range? Some people, but maybe just a 5-10%, and those will keep using their ICE cars so charging ports into the city are simply not necessary. Watch the video again, they never used any public charging point, overnight charging is enough even for some people in rural areas
Its the city that is the problem. My anecdote: In the last 10 years I have lived in 8 apartments, all of which with on-street only parking and no possibility of a charging port / overnight charge.

Some public charging ports will be necessary, agree, but some, not at every parking slot wich is very different.

Also, there are two tendencies to consider if we´re talking about not so close future, people moving out of the cities, and people into the cities, specially new generations, consider that owning a car is not necessary at all. Public transport and car sharing are enough, so that need is also at its max today, but will be decreasing with time same as EV range is at its minimum today, so another reason that need will be decreasing with time

I wouldn´t invest on companies installing public charging ports as a long term investment :wink:
This is the key. If I lived in a city I doubt I would have a personal car, but so many people have different requirements.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 13:01

This is the key. If I lived in a city I doubt I would have a personal car, but so many people have different requirements.
Same here. I guess it would depend on the city, but if it was somewhere with effective public transport I wouldn't bother with a car. I certainly wouldn't have one if I lived in the centre of London. They moan about parking etc and then buy big cars/SUVs and try and fit them in to on street parking. Pointless, really, other than a way of showing off their ability to cover large debt payments - most are on personal finance packages costing a fortune per month. I'd just hire something very nice on the odd occasion I was going out of the city.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

Uber and Lyft and that lot are making a difference too, in cities, but one thing is that it's only a matter of time before ICE cars become more expensive than EV's, as they are more complex and the cost of batteries is coming down all the time

then it'll transition and eventually everyone who has a car will have to be able to charge it, somewhere, at a lamppost or in a car park or wherever, but somewhere

Brake Horse Power

Big Tea wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:57
I know this is the electric car post, but Hydrogen keeps popping its head up so I thought I would post this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52328786

Just another story? "The authors say it can store the large volume of gas needed for practical travel without needing expensive tanks."
Tough far from commercialization, these things sound promising. I wonder how these metals get 'filled' there must be still some pressure needed I guess? Hope if it's as good as they say they get proper funding. For the sake of the planet

Big Tea

Brake Horse Power wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 22:10
Big Tea wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:57
I know this is the electric car post, but Hydrogen keeps popping its head up so I thought I would post this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52328786

Just another story? "The authors say it can store the large volume of gas needed for practical travel without needing expensive tanks."
Tough far from commercialization, these things sound promising. I wonder how these metals get 'filled' there must be still some pressure needed I guess? Hope if it's as good as they say they get proper funding. For the sake of the planet
That is the cruncher isn't it? They are going to hype it to death just to try to get funding and interest in it.
There is very little made of where the hydrogen comes from and how 'simple' it is to create from off peak renewable, which, as you can guess by my above comment on interest, concerns me some what as 'they' would be shouting it from the roof tops.

FW17

What will be effect of cheap oil on EV

djos

FW17 wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 08:43
It’s temporary and won’t last.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

djos wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 08:51
FW17 wrote:
It’s temporary and won’t last.
Yip, it has moved from cost to politics now

Just_a_fan

FW17 wrote:
That question is the wrong way round. What effect will EVs have on the price of oil? That's the real question.

If EVs take off then oil prices will fall because there'll be less demand.

Brake Horse Power

I don't see that having a significant influence in short terms. There are so many trucks, tractors etc which consume such amounts.. The few liters in a car helps but ont the total it is.. so far.. A very small amount.

The oil price impacts on short term the US shale oil companies. If they go bankrupt it will be a win for the environment anyways.

strad

I don't know about now but a decade ago more oil was used in industry, lubrication and cooling in manufacturing, and in plastics than in automobile engines. Probably more used in dashboards and seats than in crankcases.
Last edited by strad on 21 Apr 2020, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

Hope plastic gets banned before ICE

Just_a_fan

If plastic is banned, the modern car will be impractical - trying to make pedestrian-friendly front ends of cars without "plastic" is going to be very problematic. Likewise many other items in the car. If plastic is banned, F1 will be banned too - a survival cell in anything other than CFRP? Not likely, eh?

Look around your house at the plastic everywhere. It's ubiquitous.

Brake Horse Power

Plastic can be recycled or made of biomaterial?

Just_a_fan

Some plastic can be recycled, not all of them. Or at least not in an economic fashion.