Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Big Tea

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

That looks good.
After our last 'chat' here, I was thinking about it as I walked into town. I passed around 60 houses with drives or off road parking to plug in a charger, then as I got closer to town it changed to no off road parking or off road parking for 3 or 4 cars, but the buildings modified for four or even eight families. It would not work even if there were charge points at every lamp post.

People are not going to arrive home from work, park at a lamp with charging for 4 hour then go and move the car to allow someone else to charge.
Even if there is enough room for every car to parallel park and plug in, they can not allow a wire from lamp post to car or even worse, a wire across the pavement from house to car along with all the others.

I was just getting to thinking the only way it was going to work was something like this.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

That does sound promising. But it take a lot of scaling up of the process. Hope they can do it actually.
Can they store it in huge tanks like petrol stations. I'm thinking it would require special tanks etc.
I'm thinking as more people used it, it would become more viable.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

I wonder... Would those batteries be cheaper than the ones they use now?
Isn't a large part of the expense in todays electric the cost of the batteries? Especially one big enough to give the range we want?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tim.Wright

Batteries are roughly an order of magnitude more than the motors.

Any improvement in battery economics will make a huge difference on the full vehicle cost.
Not the engineer at Force India

loner

World’s Smallest Transistor Switches Power with Single Atom in Solid Electrolyte
the transistor consists exclusively of metal and does not require any semiconductors. The result is extremely low electrical voltages and therefore extremely low energy consumption.
http://www.scienceandtechnologyresearch ... ectrolyte/
para bellum.

Big Tea

strad wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 19:30
That does sound promising. But it take a lot of scaling up of the process. Hope they can do it actually.
Can they store it in huge tanks like petrol stations. I'm thinking it would require special tanks etc.
I'm thinking as more people used it, it would become more viable.
If it is 'recharged' and re used I suppose it depends on the flow of traffic and the time taken to recharge a 'batch' of it.
I may even be more efficient to collect it and deliver it as they do with fuel and recharge at a central point.
Now if this central point is renewable, then we are off.

Out of town by the river there is a big old waterwheel...

subcritical71

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 08:49
AJI wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 07:29
I did some work in China a few years ago. Kunming, a 'small' city of only ~6 million.
Every single motor scooter on the road was electric. Literally tens of thousands! I asked a local if I could take one for a spin. I was impressed with the performance. I was also shocked that the western world hasn't picked up on this simple idea.
Agree. Here in Madrid local police use some, but a few percentage.

Electric scooters are the perfect vehicle for a city. Today :mrgreen:
I’ve seen some electric ‘Bird Scooters’ popping up in several US cities I visit. Most cities are pushing back and outlawing them. Seems like an excellent idea to me.

AJI
AJI

subcritical71 wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 01:33
Andres125sx wrote:
AJI wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 07:29
I did some work in China a few years ago. Kunming, a 'small' city of only ~6 million.
Every single motor scooter on the road was electric. Literally tens of thousands! I asked a local if I could take one for a spin. I was impressed with the performance. I was also shocked that the western world hasn't picked up on this simple idea.

I’ve seen some electric ‘Bird Scooters’ popping up in several US cities I visit. Most cities are pushing back and outlawing them. Seems like an excellent idea to me.
This is the kind of scooter I'm talking about. I probably should have posted this for clarification…

subcritical71

AJI wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 01:46
subcritical71 wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 01:33
Andres125sx wrote:

This is the kind of scooter I'm talking about. I probably should have posted this for clarification…

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/group-p ... 877305.jpg
LOL! Wow, I’m on the other side of the spectrum.... I could go for that idea also!

AJI
AJI

subcritical71 wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 01:50

LOL! Wow, I’m on the other side of the spectrum.... I could go for that idea also!
Ya, 'scooter' is a pretty broad term. I have to say that I was shocked when I arrived in the city and there were ten thousand people whizzing around me silently. There was one guy who had a 2 stroke. Just one. I assumed it was illegal?

senja

loner wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 16:51
Scientists create battery that refuels electric cars in seconds
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-45179722

New battery tech ‘could recharge EVs in seconds, not hours
https://www.energylivenews.com/2018/08/ ... not-hours/
https://www.nanoflowcell.com/

strad

BIRD scooters should be banned in my opinion.
They don't belong in the bike lanes or on the sidewalks and they a not safe in traffic.
Plus like the bike share programs they wind up getting dumped all over the place creating clutter and basically large litter.
I've seen articles where propionates saying just redesign the streets. #-o The bike lanes in Seattle cost 12 million dollars a mile. How much should we pay for them to build lanes for Bird Scooters?
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

This is the Honda bike
They are said to be re-releasing the Cub as electric too. Will defiantly have one
ImageI have been waiting for the 'segway revolution' for the last 10 years or more, but it does not seem as if it is happing.

Edit.

Details here for any 'fanciers'
(https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/mo ... 80800.html)
Last edited by Big Tea on 18 Aug 2018, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

AJI
AJI

Big Tea wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 11:59
This is the Honda bike
They are said to be re-releasing the Cub as electric too. Will defiantly have one
https://m.atcdn.co.uk/ect/media/w900/79 ... 0f7854.jpg I have been waiting for the 'segway revolution' for the last 10 years or more, but it does not seem as if it is happing.
Why does it have an exhaust pipe? 'Safety' resonator?

roon

Says 'hybrid' on it.