Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Big Tea

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

AJI wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 03:52
Big Tea wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 01:14
Brake Horse Power wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 01:04

Agree on that. I did a quick math on what would happen if you place solar cells on the containers of a large container vessel. Different case but I thought I concluded maybe you can have 4 megawatt peak..which seams a lot but it requires a lot more to replace the 100MW internal combustion engine
They would produce all the time there is light, not just when the vehicle is moving. If it just adds a few % it could be worth while (depending on cost) especially as they seem to be developing light weight full spectrum units.

pic here of a truck decked out, but it is an advert of course
https://flisom.com
My nephew has a solution. Sails, that are made from solar panels, plus wind turbines and exercise bikes for the occupants!
https://gcaptain.com/project-to-test-fe ... k-carrier/

Maybe not so far off. They are also developing airships with solar wrapped around the envelope. Above the clouds so constant power.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

Brake Horse Power wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 19:13
The VW ID 3 with 420 km range will sell for +-€40.000. I can't see how they will half that price in 3 years time?
Actually pricing will start under 30k euros for the 45kWh battery.With subsidizing it will be around 25k euros

The 40k euros version have a 58kWh battery, heads-up display, panoramic roof, adaptative cruise control and headlights, 200hp... It is not comparable to 20k euros ICE cars

https://www.drivingelectric.com/volkswa ... ype-review

RZS10

It's 40k for the "1st" special edition 58kWh (satnav, heated seats and wheel, 18" alu wheels, etc) ... 45k for the 1st plus (reverse camera, adaptive cruise control, LED lights, 19" wheels etc) ... 48k for the 1st max (HUD, panoramic roof, 20" wheels and some other extras)

Those prices are only for the first 30000 cars anyways and only for pre-orders with down payments.

So 48k if you want all the sweet extras minus the subsidization (4k here = 43k)

The non-special edition cars will supposedly be even more expensive.

Andres125sx

RZS10 wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 00:25
It's 40k for the "1st" special edition 58kWh (satnav, heated seats and wheel, 18" alu wheels, etc) ... 45k for the 1st plus (reverse camera, adaptive cruise control, LED lights, 19" wheels etc) ... 48k for the 1st max (HUD, panoramic roof, 20" wheels and some other extras)

Those prices are only for the first 30000 cars anyways and only for pre-orders with down payments.

So 48k if you want all the sweet extras minus the subsidization (4k here = 43k)

The non-special edition cars will supposedly be even more expensive.
Source for that RZS10? Because my previous post is claiming the contrary, and it´s including the source
Volkswagen is calling the ID "the electric car for the masses". Prices will start at under €30,000 in Germany, but haven’t been confirmed for the UK yet. However, with the Government subsidy of £3,500, it should come in at around £25,000.

izzy

According to https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... ets-europe

Renault are planning a £10k baby EV city car with 150+m range

£10k would change things a lot. Anyone with a double garage...

RZS10

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 12:54
Source for that RZS10? Because my previous post is claiming the contrary, and it´s including the source
Volkswagen is calling the ID "the electric car for the masses". Prices will start at under €30,000 in Germany, but haven’t been confirmed for the UK yet. However, with the Government subsidy of £3,500, it should come in at around £25,000.
Sorry ... should have made it more clear ... those prices are, as i wrote, for the "1st" special editions and the same trim and power/capacity might end up costing more than those once the car is freely available.

Of course the 'naked' entry level trimmed car will start slightly below 30k € with the small 48kWh battery and 150hp.

Brake Horse Power

I like this car, it's not pretty but I like their idea of making a relatively cheap car. I believe it is open source. It's the Sonos Sion, cost €25.000 +- depending on country. 35kWh battery, solar panels all over charging the car with 30km range a day.

Big Tea

Brake Horse Power wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 22:09
I like this car, it's not pretty but I like their idea of making a relatively cheap car. I believe it is open source. It's the Sonos Sion, cost €25.000 +- depending on country. 35kWh battery, solar panels all over charging the car with 30km range a day.

https://media.caradvice.com.au/image/pr ... c07eee.jpg
Do you have a link to that please? This is the sort of paradigm change I have been talking of.

Big Tea

Brake Horse Power wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 22:28
Here you go
https://sonomotors.com/en/sion/
Thanks. I like that, and I like the concept. You do not need a luxury limo to take the kids to school the dogs to the beach and collect the shopping. Will be watching this

edit
Tempted to put a deposit, except the price is not pegged. Battery cost should fall, but I do not like the prospect of unexpected costs.
I was 'tempted' by the adverts for the VW Buzz, until the actual cost turned out to be about 30% above the 'estimate'

Brake Horse Power

Here is a nice movie on the Sonos Sion, the fully charged channel I can recommend it is a nice watch

Big Tea

This is worth a watch if you skip the first few min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsHzaBQsK2s

Andres125sx

If this article Brake Horse Power linked in the battery thread is real, EVs will be viable even economically in few years. And autonomous renewable home systems too btw

https://nikolamotor.com/press_releases/ ... ld-2020-67

They claim double energy density, half price, 2000 cycles, no cobalt or nikel used and easier to recycle =P~

hollus

The last half a page was deleted. It was fully international politics of climate change. And you all know what happened to the last thread that went that way.
This is a forum about cars. Politics are forbidden, and you all know why.

I acknowledge that the topics intermingle. But whenever the politics percentage gets too high, we'll be chopping away whole sections of posts, and not with a fine comb. so please, keep the politics away as much as possible and save us (and you) the wasted effort of deleted posts.
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

👍 👍👍👍
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss