McLaren Speedtail

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Morteza

McLaren Speedtail

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon
roon

Re: McLaren Speedtail

Narrow track on the rear axle, then.

Morteza

So October 26 is the reveal by the looks of it
https://twitter.com/McLarenAuto/status/ ... 6235724801
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

DiogoBrand

I wonder if they can race that car, it would likely be faster than their current F1 competitor.

Morteza

Morteza

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

McLaren is that band that never manages to match or better their first album. This thing might be quicker and faster but it's not a patch on the pure simplicity of thought and implementation of the F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

Magnificent numbers but some how this car doesn’t make me go “only if I had the money” which I have with the F1 and the P1. Looks more like a Bugatti competitor (which I don’t like as well).

Plus I don’t like all the screens... looks almost after market.

Morteza

jh199

Jolle wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 19:45
Magnificent numbers but some how this car doesn’t make me go “only if I had the money” which I have with the F1 and the P1. Looks more like a Bugatti competitor (which I don’t like as well).

Plus I don’t like all the screens... looks almost after market.
Agreed and I don't really understand this car. This car is not the fastest in the world; the Koenigsegg RS, Chiron, and Hennessey cars all post higher numbers. It's not the fastest accelerating car; the Koenigsegg One:1 goes 0-300 0.9 seconds quicker. It has active aero flaps but so does a Pagani Huayra. It won't be a track car and it definitely cannot be a daily driver. What's the point?

In my opinion though, it is a beautiful machine. The single carbon rear clamshell is a really impressive bit of engineering and the interior is gorgeous. But when are car companies going to get rid of the massive screen bezels!? Phones have been near bezel-less for years but automotive screens all seem to have 1-inch bezels on all side :roll:

The car is a wonderful piece of art though!
Last edited by jh199 on 27 Oct 2018, 04:28, edited 2 times in total.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

The only McLaren with a long tail isn't called a long tail.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Prefaced with, "In my opinion!"

They probably did it to save weight, but that colour is so anti-supercar and anti-McLaren; it literally recedes into the background. The front wheel rims also remind me of an opened coke can.

It might be an engineering feat, but it seems a bit confused (as per some of the previous posts). 2.1 million GBP!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jh199 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 04:26
. But when are car companies going to get rid of the massive screen bezels!? Phones have been near bezel-less for years but automotive screens all seem to have 1-inch bezels on all side :roll:
Cars have to pass roll over tests and the screen is a structural item. There needs to be a sufficient joint between screen and frame to make it work.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Fulcrum wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 05:22

They probably did it to save weight, but that colour is so anti-supercar and anti-McLaren
I guess it's been chosen to allow the design to be seen. Cars are often shown in dramatic colours which can confuse some of the details. With this colour, you can see every surface, crease and opening.

Edax
Edax

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 09:38
Fulcrum wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 05:22

They probably did it to save weight, but that colour is so anti-supercar and anti-McLaren
I guess it's been chosen to allow the design to be seen. Cars are often shown in dramatic colours which can confuse some of the details. With this colour, you can see every surface, crease and opening.
Still they should have made it pink as they seem to have had Lady Penelope in mind when they designed the car. :D