Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
roon

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

918 as well. Two front motors, one rear motor, mid engine. Nothing wrong with that. Automakers forced to adopt some form of AWD in the zero-to-sixty wars.

Sevach

roon wrote:
31 May 2019, 19:50
918 as well. Two front motors, one rear motor, mid engine. Nothing wrong with that. Automakers forced to adopt some form of AWD in the zero-to-sixty wars.
The 918 only had 1 front motor.

roon

Thank you for the correction. The point I'm trying to make is there's a trend of MR plus electrical AWD. I don't see an issue with it. Would there be a more Ferrari way of driving all the wheels? On their V12 hatchback they used a second two-speed transmission with a wet slipper clutch to drive the front wheels. BMW had to eventually make their M cars AWD to keep up with Merc.

Cold Fussion

Surely with electric motors there is far less of a penalty to implement AWD compared to an ICE. Two electric motors is probably similar in weight to 1 bigger electric motor + a differential while also being a lot more flexible.

Jolle

I presume that the advances in controls electronics make it possible to have two small motors instead of one plus a diff. Huge savings in weight and complicated engineering

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 21:27
I presume that the advances in controls electronics make it possible to have two small motors instead of one plus a diff. Huge savings in weight and complicated engineering
I'd say main advantage is not the weight saving, but mechanical simplicity and much better and more flexible control over each individual wheel

Sevach

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 10:16
Jolle wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 21:27
I'd say main advantage is not the weight saving, but mechanical simplicity and much better and more flexible control over each individual wheel
I agree with this.
It's the best system yet for an AWD that doesn't understeer on power.

Just_a_fan

I wonder how expensive the underbody vortex generating strakes are. They look likely to be damaged by speed humps if the driver is not very careful.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Maritimer

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 09:02
I wonder how expensive the underbody vortex generating strakes are. They look likely to be damaged by speed humps if the driver is not very careful.
The entire car might lift up at the touch of a button, they've had the ability to raise the nose for well over a decade now.

Just_a_fan

Having a lift system would be sensible, certainly. I reckon those strakes are still going to be vulnerable to damage and I wonder how much you can lose before it affects the car on the public roads. I'm guessing the downforce they help produce isn't that high at normal public road speeds. I wonder how many average Joe owners would even notice damage/loss of a strake or two.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 18:32
Having a lift system would be sensible, certainly. I reckon those strakes are still going to be vulnerable to damage and I wonder how much you can lose before it affects the car on the public roads. I'm guessing the downforce they help produce isn't that high at normal public road speeds. I wonder how many average Joe owners would even notice damage/loss of a strake or two.
At normal public road speeds not even Alonso will notice anything :wink:

Tim.Wright

I think you would notice a slight improvement in fuel economy.
Not the engineer at Force India

Maritimer

Tim.Wright wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 20:00
I think you would notice a slight improvement in fuel economy.
Improvement? I thought lift was actually desirable for increasing mileage?

Tim.Wright

I was talking about when they break off
Not the engineer at Force India

Chuckjr

Absolutely stunning. Year after year this company delivers amazing looking, and performing cars. Innovative. Contemporary. Drivable. Just incredible. Well done Ferrari. =D> =D> [-o<
Watching F1 since 1986.