Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
roon
444
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by roon » Fri May 31, 2019 6:50 pm

918 as well. Two front motors, one rear motor, mid engine. Nothing wrong with that. Automakers forced to adopt some form of AWD in the zero-to-sixty wars.

Sevach
810
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Sevach » Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 pm

roon wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:50 pm
918 as well. Two front motors, one rear motor, mid engine. Nothing wrong with that. Automakers forced to adopt some form of AWD in the zero-to-sixty wars.
The 918 only had 1 front motor.

roon
444
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by roon » Fri May 31, 2019 7:21 pm

Thank you for the correction. The point I'm trying to make is there's a trend of MR plus electrical AWD. I don't see an issue with it. Would there be a more Ferrari way of driving all the wheels? On their V12 hatchback they used a second two-speed transmission with a wet slipper clutch to drive the front wheels. BMW had to eventually make their M cars AWD to keep up with Merc.

Cold Fussion
136
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 am

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Cold Fussion » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:02 am

Surely with electric motors there is far less of a penalty to implement AWD compared to an ICE. Two electric motors is probably similar in weight to 1 bigger electric motor + a differential while also being a lot more flexible.

Jolle
157
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Jolle » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:27 pm

I presume that the advances in controls electronics make it possible to have two small motors instead of one plus a diff. Huge savings in weight and complicated engineering

Andres125sx
316
User avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Andres125sx » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:16 am

Jolle wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:27 pm
I presume that the advances in controls electronics make it possible to have two small motors instead of one plus a diff. Huge savings in weight and complicated engineering
I'd say main advantage is not the weight saving, but mechanical simplicity and much better and more flexible control over each individual wheel

Sevach
810
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Sevach » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:13 pm

Andres125sx wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:16 am
Jolle wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:27 pm
I presume that the advances in controls electronics make it possible to have two small motors instead of one plus a diff. Huge savings in weight and complicated engineering
I'd say main advantage is not the weight saving, but mechanical simplicity and much better and more flexible control over each individual wheel
I agree with this.
It's the best system yet for an AWD that doesn't understeer on power.

Just_a_fan
490
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Just_a_fan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:02 am

I wonder how expensive the underbody vortex generating strakes are. They look likely to be damaged by speed humps if the driver is not very careful.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

Maritimer
16
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:45 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Maritimer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:11 am

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:02 am
I wonder how expensive the underbody vortex generating strakes are. They look likely to be damaged by speed humps if the driver is not very careful.
The entire car might lift up at the touch of a button, they've had the ability to raise the nose for well over a decade now.

Just_a_fan
490
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Just_a_fan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:32 pm

Having a lift system would be sensible, certainly. I reckon those strakes are still going to be vulnerable to damage and I wonder how much you can lose before it affects the car on the public roads. I'm guessing the downforce they help produce isn't that high at normal public road speeds. I wonder how many average Joe owners would even notice damage/loss of a strake or two.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

Andres125sx
316
User avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Andres125sx » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:58 am

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:32 pm
Having a lift system would be sensible, certainly. I reckon those strakes are still going to be vulnerable to damage and I wonder how much you can lose before it affects the car on the public roads. I'm guessing the downforce they help produce isn't that high at normal public road speeds. I wonder how many average Joe owners would even notice damage/loss of a strake or two.
At normal public road speeds not even Alonso will notice anything :wink:

Tim.Wright
444
User avatar
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:29 am

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Tim.Wright » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:00 pm

I think you would notice a slight improvement in fuel economy.
Not the engineer at Force India

Maritimer
16
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:45 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Maritimer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 am

Tim.Wright wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:00 pm
I think you would notice a slight improvement in fuel economy.
Improvement? I thought lift was actually desirable for increasing mileage?

Tim.Wright
444
User avatar
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:29 am

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Tim.Wright » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:02 am

I was talking about when they break off
Not the engineer at Force India

Chuckjr
40
User avatar
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 am

Re: Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Post by Chuckjr » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:07 am

Absolutely stunning. Year after year this company delivers amazing looking, and performing cars. Innovative. Contemporary. Drivable. Just incredible. Well done Ferrari. =D> =D> [-o<