They’re not actually that dissimilarAngusF1 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:38 pmLet's discuss the tyres.
Why such smaller aspect ratios ? Possibilities I can think of include:
- McLaren F1: 235/45/17 fronts, 315/45/17 rears.
- GMA T50: 235/35/19 fronts, 295/30/20 rears.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
- The brief has changed from sports-touring more towards sports. The car will be less comfortable with more NVH in return for (perceived?) better handling response and/or steering feel.
- Modern tyres can provide similar comfort with lower profiles.
- Modern dampers can provide similar comfort with lower profile tyres.
- Larger wheels were needed for mechanical and brake packaging.
- The original 45-section tyres were an eccentric choice by Murray which suited his personal tastes but almost nobody else's.
Larger rims with lower profile tyres to give less role, but over-all, the external diameters remain about the same
No change to the width of the front tyres, but slightly narrower rear tyre.
This would reduce drag, but also grip which I assume the ridiculous amounts of DF more than makes up for