C8 Corvette

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
NL_Fer

Re: C8 Corvette

I have been reading in and learned allot. Now i understand that the Camaro is GM’s classic US musclecar. The Corvette has always been a pure streetracer. The C7 pushed the limit on how balanced a front(mid) engine can be.

So a mid-engine is the way to increase performance. I just hope it will look like a Corvette and not another mid engine supercar.

Morteza

Here's the steering wheel
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

graham.reeds

digitalrurouni wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 15:22
Porsche keeps making their cars needlessly expensive like the Spyder and GT4 (mid engine cars). I thought of swapping my 981 Spyder for the 718 but the performance difference and the price increase was just not worth it. Perhaps when the GT4 comes in with a PDK I will take interest but in the mean time I for one am looking really closely at what GM does with the mid engine Vette. Hopefully the price is in the mid 60k for a 500 hp V8 in that bad boy!
Don't get a 4 cylinder 718. 4 cylinders do not sound right. Get 987.2 or the 981 (with PSE).

digitalrurouni

graham.reeds wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 14:24
digitalrurouni wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 15:22
Porsche keeps making their cars needlessly expensive like the Spyder and GT4 (mid engine cars). I thought of swapping my 981 Spyder for the 718 but the performance difference and the price increase was just not worth it. Perhaps when the GT4 comes in with a PDK I will take interest but in the mean time I for one am looking really closely at what GM does with the mid engine Vette. Hopefully the price is in the mid 60k for a 500 hp V8 in that bad boy!
Don't get a 4 cylinder 718. 4 cylinders do not sound right. Get 987.2 or the 981 (with PSE).
Yeah I already have a 981 Spyder. So disappointed with the sound of the 718 Spyder. Those particulate filters are killing the sound.

Cold Fussion

Are you sure 718 has a particulate filter? I'm not so sure it does and I highly doubt it's the cause of the awful noise it makes. In anycase the new GT4 has a particulate filter and I'm sure it sounds just fine. To me it makes sense for the new Corvette to move to a mid engine layout, if you look at the reviews for the more focused variants of the Corvette and Camaro, the Camaro usually comes out as the preferred car to drive. There should be a much better differentiation between the Corvette and Camaro once the Corvette moves to mid-engine.

humble sabot

Greg Locock wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 20:43
The bulkhead between the cabin and the engine bay. I'd been working on developing tuned sound deadening treatments and learning about the benefits of double glazing and so on. The Indy was incredibly noisy, probably because no real thought had gone into designing it for NVH as it was just a show car. But, in their wisdom they also built a drivable version without all the active systems and so on. So rather than deafen every journalist who drove it they gave me a few days to try and get the noise down to a bearable level. Lead sheet would not have been appropriate but might have done the job. Can't remember what the result was like.
What did you end up using? Clearly there wasn't enough time to double the glass.
Last edited by humble sabot on 18 Jul 2019, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Maritimer

Corvettes are already mid engined by definition, have been for a few generations. This is really just going to price them out of the market they've occupied as "affordable" high performance vehicles. If the starting price is over 100kUSD as I've seen rumored this might put the Corvette under.

Just_a_fan

Maybe the C8 isn't really aimed at the US market. Maybe they're looking to compete with the Europeans in Europe, China etc. If they sell to some wealthy US drivers then that would be good enough. It'll raise brand awareness. That's the thing with halo cars, you don't need to sell lots if they encourage people to the brand in general.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

digitalrurouni

Cold Fussion wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 10:13
Are you sure 718 has a particulate filter? I'm not so sure it does and I highly doubt it's the cause of the awful noise it makes. In anycase the new GT4 has a particulate filter and I'm sure it sounds just fine. To me it makes sense for the new Corvette to move to a mid engine layout, if you look at the reviews for the more focused variants of the Corvette and Camaro, the Camaro usually comes out as the preferred car to drive. There should be a much better differentiation between the Corvette and Camaro once the Corvette moves to mid-engine.
The 718 GT4/Spyder has particulate filter. Not the 4 cylinder (GTS, S and base models).

strad

It's all rumors and I have heard the over $100,000 rumors but Chevy has said $70,000.
A Z1 could with all the bells and whistles break $100,000 but I think the base C8 will not be that much. However as I said before the damn dealers will no doubt tack on quite the premium that could push it that high.
The first will probably still have many bugs. They had to change the back glass because it kept breaking so I'd bet they won't catch or fix them all. First years of most thing have problems.
Personally I spent yesterday really bummed because I saw a beautiful 67 that had the stance and looked for all the world like mine that I lost to a vindictive Ex.
I'd rather have that one than a new C8. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

digitalrurouni

So it's out. Starting price below 60k. 0-60 below 3 sec. 6.2 liter V8 pushing 495 hp and 470 lb ft torque and 8 speed DSG. I am gonna have to order one with the Z51 Performance package. Too good to pass up!

Morteza

That's a whole lot of buttons

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

strad

@ Greg
Then again, with a solid bulkhead almost right behind the front seats,
Your work rewarded in the press.
They weren't talking noise but rather the cabin cooling. Since they comment on how solid it is I think we can assume it is also a good noise insulator as well as a structural re-enforcement.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

RZS10

hideous

SmallSoldier

For 60k, might consider one! That’s a lot of performance for the price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk