C8 Corvette

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
humble sabot

Re: C8 Corvette

there was a leak of some CAD/CAM drawings for the twin turbo they're supposed to put in this later and it's a DOHC. So they've got that going for them, which is nice
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

flynfrog

humble sabot wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 01:53
there was a leak of some CAD/CAM drawings for the twin turbo they're supposed to put in this later and it's a DOHC. So they've got that going for them, which is nice
I wonder if they will get the heads from a certain boat engine company.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/mercury-r ... te-engine/

roon

digitalrurouni

Wife says to get it and sell the Spyder. Also allowing me to get a Tesla at the same time lol as the daily. Might have to take her up on that offer but need to see this Vette in the flesh and try it out myself m I never buy a first year model anyway. Right now the car is incredibly appealing though it's not the prettiest. But show me a better bang for your buck in the mid engined category!

NL_Fer

I didn’t say pushrods are better. But compare this engine to an Audi FSI V8 and the performance is the same. The technology is good enough for high performance road car.

And yes it has the benefit of lower cog and no 2000€ timing chain rebuilt needed. I was never impressed by American V8 till i saw a block for real in a project car. It was so small, still a 5L and power enough.

For the C8 is wished they kept high front fenders and smooth rear from previous Corvette’s. It would have made the car more recognizable.

Jolle

The strange thing is, GM has got a high tech V8, the Blackwing, a 4.2l DOHC twin turbo from the Cadillac CT6.

RZS10

i was bored

it's the front, rear and a modified C7 side slapped onto the new car

turbof1

RZS10 wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 16:08
i was bored

https://i.imgur.com/k9U1e9O.png

it's the front, rear and a modified C7 side slapped onto the new car
Please be more bored, that looks great :P
#AeroFrodo

SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:The strange thing is, GM has got a high tech V8, the Blackwing, a 4.2l DOHC twin turbo from the Cadillac CT6.
That would have being interesting... Heat management could be an issue with Turbos on a mid engined car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jolle

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 16:51
Jolle wrote:The strange thing is, GM has got a high tech V8, the Blackwing, a 4.2l DOHC twin turbo from the Cadillac CT6.
That would have being interesting... Heat management could be an issue with Turbos on a mid engined car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just like the AMG 4.0 it’s a hot V, so all the heat is nicely contained within the engine, unlike the LT they use now where you have hot pipes on both sides

roon

Where have I seen these headlights before?

Seem familiar...

Hmm...

N, no...

:o

strad

By sticking with a pushrod engine the say they keep the weigh down lower. lower c/g.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Maritimer

Pushrod engines are lighter, smaller, and cheaper than anything with cams in the heads. Unless you absolutely need fine timing and lift control or lots of revs, DOHC just makes things heavy, bloated, and expensive.

Jolle

strad wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 19:42
By sticking with a pushrod engine the say they keep the weigh down lower. lower c/g.
Compared to the same engine with DOHC, but the LT2 is quite high compared to what the other sports cars use. A LS2 is almost 80cm high while a modern v8 from a European constructor is below 70cm.

It's all ok to use old tech to save money and make a high performance mid engine car within reach for anybody who doesn't work at the stock market, but that's it. These are dinosaurs in car tech. To be fair, the engine from any other V8 mid engined car would probably cost more than the whole C8.

To make it a bit affordable in Europe a twin turbo V6 would be nice as a base model. With this engine it would probably cost as much as an Audi R8 or AMG GT (and close to the cheapest McLaren)

roon

Jolle wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 20:01
...the LT2 is quite high compared to what the other sports cars use. A LS2 is almost 80cm high while a modern v8 from a European constructor is below 70cm.
Are you factoring in dry sump?

Also consider that even if the height is greater the CoG may not be. OHV rocker covers are lightweight but often tall. The 16 rockers and 16 upper portions of the pushrods should be lighter than 4 camshafts, 32 followers, and the upper portion of two timing chains. The intake manifold will be the highest part but this will be lighter than the hot-vee twin turbo manifold assembly used in those modern European V8s.
Last edited by roon on 20 Jul 2019, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.