Audi V12 TDI

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Steven
Owner

Audi V12 TDI

Well, it's not motorsport but it's directly derived from it.

Audi have presented their V12 TDI, to be produced initially for the Q7 and based on the R8 Le Mans winner.

Here's a nice breakdown image:
http://www.madwhips.com/upload/images/a ... ept_16.jpg

modbaraban

Re: Audi V12 TDI

In case you missed:

R8 TDI

m3_lover

I believe the Q7 has that engine in its car that might come into production soon.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Belatti

Not exactly the same but I can offer you some pdf papers regarding these engines:
Audi V10 FSI, Audi V8TDI and Audi V8FSI

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4487&p=56428&hilit=vienna#p56428

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

DSRacing

The Audi V-12 engines will also be used in the new VW Red Bull Toureg. They will be entered in the unlimited "Trophy Truck" class. They're first race is scheduled to be the Baja 1000 this November.

West

According to Automobile magazine, the engine fitted to the R8 TDI concept is connected to an A4 transmission. It's only capable of handling half of the engine's torque.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

G-Rock

Ooooohh, what a green engine. Apparently it gets an extra 3mpg over the gasoline version (whats that, half a liter/hundred) If all sports cars had diesel V12s intead of gasoline V8s we'd save the planet AND be energy independant!
If I had to buy a sports car, I would just stick to the lightweight gasoline engines and have to live with the guilt.
When it comes to "Green", I'm not going to get excited until Audi makes makes a 1000kg (2200lb) car, with a diesel.
--------------------------------------------------------

Jagboy

Your post sounds sarcastic but I can't figure out why it would be. Relative to the production version, 3 mpg is a 15% increase, 421 ft-lbs is a 133% increase, and 80 hp is a 19% increase. And bear in mind that the mpg increase does take weight into account. I mean, in F1, finding a half a percent in anything anywhere is amazing so I'm stumped about why you aren't excited about the car (and engine) being discussed.

JB

G-Rock

What I was trying to articulate questioned the point in trying to design a "Green" sports car that's heavy and has tonnes of horspower when they could come to the same performance with light weight. It's like a hybrid SUV. All the advantages of a hybrid drivetrain have been lost to not increasing fuel economy but increasing hp. It's all marketing BS.

If Audi has designed a lightweight sports car that could get 40 mpg, I would be impressed.

So far this "Green" automotive movement isn't willing to give up HP or comfort which is unfortunatly what the developed world has to stoop down to if we are really serious about CO2 emmisions.

PS The Audi diesel racecar has massive advantages in endurance racing (due to restricter plates giving larger displacement engines a torque advantage) but unfortunatly, that advantage has been lost to penalizing the Audi's with weight and fuel capacity to equalize the teams.
--------------------------------------------------------

Jagboy

I see what you mean. While there is no denying that the V12 TDI is 'greener' than the gasser, there are definitely better ways of going about making a clean car. I agree. Are Audi actually using that as a main marketing point?

JB

Conceptual

G-Rock wrote:What I was trying to articulate questioned the point in trying to design a "Green" sports car that's heavy and has tonnes of horspower when they could come to the same performance with light weight. It's like a hybrid SUV. All the advantages of a hybrid drivetrain have been lost to not increasing fuel economy but increasing hp. It's all marketing BS.

If Audi has designed a lightweight sports car that could get 40 mpg, I would be impressed.

So far this "Green" automotive movement isn't willing to give up HP or comfort which is unfortunatly what the developed world has to stoop down to if we are really serious about CO2 emmisions.

PS The Audi diesel racecar has massive advantages in endurance racing (due to restricter plates giving larger displacement engines a torque advantage) but unfortunatly, that advantage has been lost to penalizing the Audi's with weight and fuel capacity to equalize the teams.
Its called a VW Jetta TDI with upgraded turbos... Oh, and its 57MPG!

Chris

flynfrog

Conceptual wrote:
G-Rock wrote:What I was trying to articulate questioned the point in trying to design a "Green" sports car that's heavy and has tonnes of horspower when they could come to the same performance with light weight. It's like a hybrid SUV. All the advantages of a hybrid drivetrain have been lost to not increasing fuel economy but increasing hp. It's all marketing BS.

Its called a VW Jetta TDI with upgraded turbos... Oh, and its 57MPG!

Chris
uhh I have yet to see a jetta with upgraded turbos that will come close to the even GTI the engine is pretty much maxed out from the factory even with bigger injectors they have clutch problems

and I wouldnt call the jetta a sports car