The GT-R takes on the giants

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
ds.raikkonen

The GT-R takes on the giants

Well, the Skyline is dead, and the GT-R has risen from its ashes, pity, it wuz a good name after all, GT-R sounds a bit clinical, just like LP640 for the new 'lago. So far ive read about 4 articles about the Gt-R being compared to its rivals- the 911 turbo, the M3 & the R8, and in all of them, the GT-R thrashed them to bits, even the giant killer 911 turbo played seconf fiddle to this monster. But personally i feel its not that brilliant. Agreed, tech wise its beyond anything, but the huge turbo makes it unpure and that ugly front makes it look like a 350Z, only bigger. For me, the new M3 wth the creamy V8 is still the boss around.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Jersey Tom

Re: The GT-R takes on the giants

Turbo makes it unpure? Yea ok.

I think it looks good. And I would call it brilliant. Particularly for the price.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

modbaraban

The car is fantastic indeed (apart from the ugly front :wink: 350Z got a prettier face!). But if I were to choose between the 911, the M3 and that Nissan the advantage of some tenths of a second per lap on a racetrack would be the next to last thing to consider :wink:
So I would pick a V8 Vantage :lol:

I must admit tho, it's the ultimate car for a streetracer (even more than the Skyline was), as well as the best value for money (if you disregard the spiritual value of cars)

GTO

I would also include the Corvette Z06 among this group. It's in the GT-R price range, thus v. similar bang for buck value. The GT-R has got a very mean, industrial look. It's definitely not the pretty boy among the bunch. However, I do like the GT-R's turbo & its AWD snow traction capabilities to suit the winter weather & roads here in Canada.
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/pic/corvette ... lery09.jpg
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/

Nissan GT-R virtual drive
http://www.gtrnissan.com/?Site=nissanusa&Area=GT-R_Home

And below some details of the new ZR1.
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/zr1/
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/detr ... s-display/
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/10/corv ... ec-amused/

ds.raikkonen

Same here mod, a nice and sexy V8 Aston for me too :wink: , but cmon man, in this company, it stands nowhere.
I agree the GT-R is cheaper than the R8 and M3 and a lot cheaper than the turbo, but still.......anyways the ZR1 is one bad ass car, the V8 is a lot more powerful and it looks great too, definitely way better than the enormous GT-R. CAR tested it at Rockingham circuit, and it was friggin 1 sec faster than the turbo. Bear in mind the driver was trying hard not to crash it coz it wuz the first one in Britain.
As for the purity thing, forced induction cars are a no-no for me, thats why Aston, Ferrari & Lamborghini rock.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Giblet

The car that is considered the ultimate Ferrari by many is the F40.

It was turbocharged.

Ferrari are considered purists, yes?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ds.raikkonen

Giblet wrote:The car that is considered the ultimate Ferrari by many is the F40.

It was turbocharged.

Ferrari are considered purists, yes?
I knew this was coming....well, id say exceptions are always there dude. But forget the 90's, talk about the present. The Enzo......430 Scud.....612....599....

Giblet

To me a purist uses whatever available that will make the machine do what it was purpose built to do.

For such a light car, to get the power and save the weight, they went with turbocharging, as it made sense for that application.

Purism can also be construed as stubbornness, as illustrated by the greatest purist of all, Enzo Ferrari.:)

When the Coopers and Lotuses all went rear engine, Ferrari resisted as Enzo's lgoic was "The horse will always pull the cart", much to the shagrin of the other team members.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Fiero Brick

Giblet wrote:
For such a light car...
Is 1700+ kilograms/3800 pounds light these days, or were you just making an assumption that the GT-R wouldn't be as overweight as 99% of modern cars? I can't blame you if you were; wishful thinking affects me, too. There's a reason for my preference of older vehicles. :(

donskar

I'll take the GT-R any day.

It's been reported in a couple US journals that the GT-R in Japanese form:
has a governor limiting its top speed to 111 mph
EXCEPT when its GPS indicates it is at a race track recognized by Nissan
BUT THEN the owner faces a mandatory maintenance (@$1,000)
or the warranty is invalidated
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ds.raikkonen

Top Gear tested the GT-R in Japan and then compared it with the Evo, which costs a third of the money. In a straight line, the GT-R was too good for the Evo, but around twisty switchbacks, it could keep the GT-R in sight.

GTO

ds.r
which car is Evo you refer to? :?

Miguel

I suppose he's talking about any Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. Probably between the Evo V and the Evo X. 2l turbo, 280 HP, 4wd, short gear ratios, around 1200 kg and two (or was it three?) wonderful differentials. Street version of the Rally car, and similar to the Subaru Impreza WRX Sti.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

ds.raikkonen

There are 2 differentials in the Evo X. Its got the S-AWC fr Super-All Wheel Control tech which uses a center differential which has a hydraulic multiplate clutch. The S-AWC aso uses yaw sensors to limit the torque going to each wheel at different conditions and there by optimizing the handling by minimizing wheel lock ups. So, sometimes this car is one wheel drive on certain corners.