Tata Xenon XT

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
HKS

Tata Xenon XT

I had driven the Tata Xenon XT (A pick-up truck) and will like to share the road test with all.

Picture of the pick-up:

Ride and Handling:

Tata continues with its tradition of providing the car with great handling precision at higher speeds. The Xenon XT grips well on rough and uneven road surfaces due its longer wheelbase. The car sticks to the road at high speed without any sign of leaving the road. Being a pick up, rear tyre pressure is important. If the tyre pressure is more than what is required, the car will experience pitching at high speeds.

With the world moving from leaf spring to coil spring, Tata continues it in the American way by using the parabolic leaf spring suspension for its rear live solid beam axle. But that fine as its built to lift half a tonne and saunter around which will be difficult in case of a coil spring. With the pick-up built somewhat American style with a long wheelbase and larger hood, it was possible to increase the steering angle of the tyres to reduce the turning radius of the car making it easier to steer across the city.

The car can easily trash over the potholes and absorb all the shocks without affecting the rideabililty. The view of Xenon cornering looks scary from outside, but the car corners well and the torsion beam works perfectly without causing any kind of boll-roll. At high speeds in 2WD the oversteer of the rear wheel drive sometimes come into play. The Xenon XT has a high ground clearance and still the downforce generated gives the driver a great and steady ride at high speeds all thanks to its overall aerodynamic design and weight distribution.

Comments? I feel I'm lacking somewhere in this Road Test, if you can mention a certain points that I could have forgotten please do mention them. This Road Test was written after a couple of months of so, and thats why I feel I lag somewhere. Maybe I could be wrong this article is good enough. (I'm not allowed to put a lot of technical data, please do keep that in mind and suggest me if you have something in mind. I still have to edit the text so leave the language part)

Thanks in advance. :)

EDITED: I have removed all other things and just kept information on Ride and Handling as I think this is the area where more points have to be added.
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

Steven
Owner

Re: Tata Xenon XT

Not sure what the aim is of this drive test, but I would expect from every car test if it's good value for the money. Maybe that was not needed, but you haven't mentioned the price, nor did you compare it to competing cars in that segment.

Secondly, wouldn't it be good to talk a little about the interior? I mean the build quality, first impression, looks, if everything is placed conveniently etc.

Giblet

I think he was saying this is only the ride and handling section, as this is the section that needs some work.

I mean I guess you ride in the interior, and the build quality will affect handling ... 8-)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

HKS

What I mean is what else will one look out in Handling and Ride quality?

As in some characteristic which I haven't described and should be described in this section.

Thanks
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

DaveKillens

One aspect that directly impacts on the driver and passengers is NHV, aka noise, vibration, handling. In other words, does it rattle your fillings or make any journey an uncomfortable experience?
A Formula One car has fantastic handling, but it beats up the driver, produces excessive noise, and can't handle potholes.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Carlos

I'd suggest 'the school course books' on what to include in a road test, how to write a road test. Subcribe to the best magazines. Read the best newspaper auto writers, almost every major newspaper has an auto section.