Red Bull X1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Red Bull RB7

gerhard wrote:That's the Red Bull X2010, a car Adrian Newey designed for the game Gran Turismo 5.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5330.html

Don't worry, we won't see a F1 car that crazy, at least not this year, I think! :lol:
I still don't like the fact they they coin the phrase "Newey Designed it". I doubt he actually "design" the car for the video game. He provided ideas to what he would do, and Polyphony Digital just made their interpretation of his idea and he kinda signed off on it...

Giblet
Giblet

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

I had read, an they claim it's his design.

I don't see that being untrue, not like he had to design it so it could be manufactured, just so it could be rendered. He could skip all the little mechanical things that don't matter in a sim/game as weak as GT5. Things like engine mounting, steering arms, all that detail under the skin doesn't matter.

Ooops. Thought this was the thread about the Xcar, wasn't trying to go OT in the Rb7 thread. Please don't respond here.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

raymondu999

I don't understand why GT5 couldn't just slap together a cool design and made it fast. It's a GAME!! It's not like the aero properties of their design translate to laptime like it would in real life
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Red Bull X1

Giblet wrote:I had read, an they claim it's his design.

I don't see that being untrue, not like he had to design it so it could be manufactured, just so it could be rendered. He could skip all the little mechanical things that don't matter in a sim/game as weak as GT5. Things like engine mounting, steering arms, all that detail under the skin doesn't matter.

Ooops. Thought this was the thread about the Xcar, wasn't trying to go OT in the Rb7 thread. Please don't respond here.
Quoting Giblet's word from RB7 thread, since I don't want to pollute that thread any further than I did.

The fact that the word "designed" is used means some actual work had been done on it, meaning some kind of study with actual numbers to back it up. Of which I doubt is true since tire data in GT had always been optimistic and its hard for anyone to actually design a race car without it. Sketching something that looks like a car is not something I'd consider as actual design work even if that is what Newey did. And I really doubt it even went that far. I still think its far more likely that Newey suggested something that if he were to do the "ultimate car", what he would have on it, and PD went back and drew one up and he said "that looks ok" and Red Bull happily signed some paper with PD and let them film all the promo bits and have their name plastered in the game for it. Doesn't hurt any parties involved and at the end of the day its all good fun.

Newey already have a dayjob that consumes pretty all of his time and he still likes to race his historic cars and sail boats. I doubt he would do any real work on this, at least work that would qualify as actual "design" work, by my interpretation of the word anyway, and I am sure not that dissimilar to his.

Giblet
Giblet

When I say design, he made a pretty shape with some underlying concepts, its for sure not the same as actually designing a complete car that needs to work outside of bitspace.

Newey works for Red Bull, and if they asked him to pen a car, I am sure he did it and relished it. He likely had the shape existing already in his head, and the more money Red Bull gets from tie ins, the better stead they are in for their budget.

At the end of the day he works for RBR and if they tell him to make the X1, he makes it. Since he has some bad luck smashing his race cars, maybe he felt it was time to design on that stuck to the track a little better :)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

Maybe..

only the game designers can answer that one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

raymondu999 wrote:I don't understand why GT5 couldn't just slap together a cool design and made it fast. It's a GAME!! It's not like the aero properties of their design translate to laptime like it would in real life

I am sure thats pretty much what it is....slaps on Newey and RBR's name and it all of a sudden have a credential...

GT5 is fun and all, I've been playing it every day since I got in way back in Nov. But their race tire model still feels sketchy, and their "fast car" physics still feels a bit off. But that was not what I bought the game for anyway so I don't mind...

okibcn
okibcn

gridwalker wrote:If they needed Adrian Newey to point out that suction fans could be "used" (rather, simulated) to speed up the X1 then the people making the games haven't been paying enough attention : the technology has been around for 40 odd years!

Hell, the McLaren F1 road car had suction fans as a standard feature, so I don't know why this virtual machine is getting so much attention : all it is (and will ever be) is some eye candy ...
The real world cars history is even more fascinating than virtual cars.

McLaren F1 road car has suction fans because it was an idea of its main designer Gordon Murray that was first used in Formula 1 in 1978 in the F1 Brabham's BT46B:

But Gordon Murray was ACTUALLY the designer of the BT46B so we can say that suction fans is his invention.

But what is his lastest work? the Freestream-T1 also known as Caparo T1, a real car:

It seems that Newey is just following the trail of Murray, the guy that should receive the credits for the X1 features and main concept.

Regards,

Oki

Edit: Corrected McLaren F1 image link. Thanks to Pandamasque.
Last edited by okibcn on 15 Feb 2011, 00:32, edited 2 times in total.

Pandamasque

Why is there a picture of Koeniggsssseggggggg? ^

McG

Just unlocked it in GT5 last night! Got 500kph out of it a few times at Indy slipstreaming.
F1 is dead.

McG

okibcn wrote:
gridwalker wrote:If they needed Adrian Newey to point out that suction fans could be "used" (rather, simulated) to speed up the X1 then the people making the games haven't been paying enough attention : the technology has been around for 40 odd years!

Hell, the McLaren F1 road car had suction fans as a standard feature, so I don't know why this virtual machine is getting so much attention : all it is (and will ever be) is some eye candy ...
The real world cars history is even more fascinating than virtual cars.

McLaren F1 road car has suction fans because it was an idea of its main designer Gordon Murray that was first used in Formula 1 in 1978 in the F1 Brabham's BT46B:

But Gordon Murray was ACTUALLY the designer of the BT46B so we can say that suction fans is his invention.

But what is his lastest work? the Freestream-T1 also known as Caparo T1, a real car:

It seems that Newey is just following the trail of Murray, the guy that should receive the credits for the X1 features and main concept.

Regards,

Oki

Edit: Corrected McLaren F1 image link. Thanks to Pandamasque.

The fan car was used by Chaparral on the 2J (1970) to try and be more competitive against McLaren in Can Am racing, before Murray used it at Brabham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral_Cars

I don't know how I feel about this Red Bull "car", it's only a computer game, whereas the Caparo T1 is real.

Red Bull should grow a set of balls and make the damn thing.
F1 is dead.

McG

The McLaren F1 used suction fans?
F1 is dead.

Sayshina
Sayshina

McG wrote:The McLaren F1 used suction fans?
Small electrically driven fans ducted to the floor. Not a massive performance improvement, but I seem to recall Gordon claiming they helped balance the car nicely.

I also seem to recall at least 1 other "fancar", possibly also in can-am? Don't really remember anything else about it. I should also point out however, that the entire fan concept wasn't exactly trouble free. Sure, but Brabham won the only race it ever entered, but I have my doubts it would have won a championship.

There's no way Newey actually penned this car. I highly doubt he even drew the concept out. There's simple far too much style in the drawings I've seen. What you're seeing is the standard video game "designed" by some famous person. John Madden football, whoever you people worship in soccer, Tiger Woods golf, Michael Jordan basketball. They AYWAYS claim they were deeply involved in the design, and it ALWAYS turns out to be BS. The video games industry has no problem with lying directly to its consumers.

The ONLY reason you're even trying to claim Newey might have had anything to do with this is because unlike nearly all of the other "celebrity designers" Newey actually does design crap for a living. That's a very tenuous link to base a claim on. My guess is he "designed" this thing over a 1 hour conversation with the programmers, who most likely showed up with the drawing already in hand.

devil_angel
devil_angel

The car has been renamed to "Redbull X2010" guys.

EDIT: Just noted the page count. NVM the post.

MIKEY_!

It is true what you say about Newey not designing the car, the game designers turned up with some sketches and he approved them. The can-am fan car is the chaparral 2j. Very clever but it was unreliable (and by the look of it not very aero efficient)