McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
M840TR
147
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 am

PhillipM wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 pm
If there's barely any difference in the ratios required, and the performance difference is tiny, why would you bother changing the gearset given you're using a hacked together box designed for the Honda anyway?
Much bigger issues and gains by spending the money elsewhere, especially when a new gearbox was already in the works.
They might even have an entire new bell housing designed for next year given they revised the packaging.

PhillipM
187
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by PhillipM » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:14 pm

There's a complete new gearbox, casing, bellhousing, gearset, pickup points, etc. 100%, they were working on that months back.

charliesmithhd
5
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by charliesmithhd » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:32 pm

With all these changes what is a reasonable potistion for the team to aim for? P4? Maybe challenging Redbull if Honda are worse off than Renault?

GPR -A
12
User avatar
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by GPR -A » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:02 pm

PhillipM wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:14 pm
There's a complete new gearbox, casing, bellhousing, gearset, pickup points, etc. 100%, they were working on that months back.
It most certainly was clear that they switched to next year's car long back and that made them move backwards for this year. There was no point in spending resources on this year's car when they realized that the car is not what they wanted to build. Hope they get it right right and I am optimistic that, the car would be a 4th place holder.

PhillipM
187
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by PhillipM » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:30 pm

charliesmithhd wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:32 pm
With all these changes what is a reasonable potistion for the team to aim for? P4? Maybe challenging Redbull if Honda are worse off than Renault?

Back fighting at the front of the midfield pack would be ideal, with the aim of closing the gap down to the front runners in 2020 when they hve a lot more of the staff/structure sorted out.

M840TR
147
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:12 pm

Renault is less of a threat compared to Force India and Sauber. The latter shifted focus on 2019 the earliest of anyone and both of them have secured a lot of funding recently, even without which they were consistently fighting for 4th. Renault needs to sort out their engine if they want to move up ahead.

Blackout
566
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by Blackout » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:22 am

M840TR wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:12 pm
Renault is less of a threat compared to Force India and Sauber. The latter and both of them have secured a lot of funding recently, even without which they were consistently fighting for 4th. Renault needs to sort out their engine if they want to move up ahead.
IMO Renault shifted focus on 2019 the earliest of anyone (after Mclaren maybe) and has the biggest progression margin with Mclaren. Mclaren and Renault are similar this year; they also have built a B version of their 2017 car...
Sauber was clearly working on this very complex 2018 car since forever; they've invested all the time and ressources they've saved during 2016 and 2017, in the 2018 car.
But we're getting off topic.

M840TR
147
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Image

via forthegoats on Reddit
Last edited by M840TR on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wesley123
206
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by wesley123 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:16 pm

What's up with the gills next to the radiator?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

M840TR
147
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 pm

wesley123 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:16 pm
What's up with the gills next to the radiator?
Probably exhaust cooling.

lio007
236
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Austria

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by lio007 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:12 pm

M840TR wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 pm
https://i.redd.it/uivpa560f8321.jpg

via forthegoats on Reddit
Oh..unfortunately the image has been deleted!

What was it about?

M840TR
147
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:32 pm

lio007 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:12 pm
M840TR wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 pm
https://i.redd.it/uivpa560f8321.jpg

via forthegoats on Reddit
Oh..unfortunately the image has been deleted!

What was it about?
Re uploaded.

Blackout
566
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by Blackout » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 pm

A Nice pic. It shows how Mclaren didnt exploit all that empty space above the engine that Renault has freed up thanks to the new intake plenum, to relocate some of the cooling system there, like Renault and RB did.
It's quite strange because Mclaren was doing exactly that with the Honda powerunit; many coolers where placed above the engine... This year, Mclaren decided to put everything in the sidepods. But why?
The 2018 Renault had less cooling demands then the 2017 Honda according to Boullier (hence the smaller 2018 sidepod intakes ?) That partly answers the question...
Maybe they wanted to lower the CoG... even the compressor air-filter is placed very low, just above the turbo, not exactly likethe Renault and the RB.
(it looks as if this airbox has been designed around a 2017 Renault plenum)

Nice little NACA intake on the internal bodywork near the turbo/wastegate :P

ScrewCaptain27
391
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 am

It’s a very clean installation, I’m surprised at the amount of empty space behind the airbox though it looks like something has been removed.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

M840TR
147
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: McLaren MCL33

Post by M840TR » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:37 am

Blackout wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 pm
A Nice pic. It shows how Mclaren didnt exploit all that empty space above the engine that Renault has freed up thanks to the new intake plenum, to relocate some of the cooling system there, like Renault and RB did.
It's quite strange because Mclaren was doing exactly that with the Honda powerunit; many coolers where placed above the engine... This year, Mclaren decided to put everything in the sidepods. But why?
The 2018 Renault had less cooling demands then the 2017 Honda according to Boullier (hence the smaller 2018 sidepod intakes ?) That partly answers the question...
Maybe they wanted to lower the CoG... even the compressor air-filter is placed very low, just above the turbo, not exactly likethe Renault and the RB.
(it looks as if this airbox has been designed around a 2017 Renault plenum)

Nice little NACA intake on the internal bodywork near the turbo/wastegate :P
They didn't exploit it on purpose. CoG gains over aero. Honda required a lot of extra ancillary coolers so they had no choice. It's really the same plenum as last year, without the two compressor ducts.