[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
30 May 2020, 15:08
adrianjordan wrote:
30 May 2020, 10:42
Having seen the adverts on TV where Rokit leveraged the Williams F1 name, I don't think that kind of cheap image is a good fit for a premium brand like McLaren.

Plus I still wonder whether Rokit cancelled the contract or Williams did. My money is on the latter and I would question whether Rokit weren't late with payments or something like that to prompt that move.
I’ve seen reports that Williams actually cancelled the deal. But it sounds like they did it to facilitate or remove any hindrance to a potential sale, since they were the title sponsor. Sorry, going more off topic,
Surely having a title sponsor in place would make the team more attractive as it would be money in on the balance sheet?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

EddyBaggio

adrianjordan wrote:
31 May 2020, 01:07
Ground Effect wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Having seen the adverts on TV where Rokit leveraged the Williams F1 name, I don't think that kind of cheap image is a good fit for a premium brand like McLaren.

Plus I still wonder whether Rokit cancelled the contract or Williams did. My money is on the latter and I would question whether Rokit weren't late with payments or something like that to prompt that move.
I’ve seen reports that Williams actually cancelled the deal. But it sounds like they did it to facilitate or remove any hindrance to a potential sale, since they were the title sponsor. Sorry, going more off topic,
Surely having a title sponsor in place would make the team more attractive as it would be money in on the balance sheet?
Not IF the company would like to put its own brand on the team...

mclaren111

adrianjordan wrote:
31 May 2020, 01:07
Ground Effect wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

Seems Rockit are not paying...

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... nt_amount/

M840TR

Re: McLaren MCL35

ScottR267 wrote:
30 May 2020, 22:55
F1NAC wrote:
30 May 2020, 20:47
Vital Spark wrote:
30 May 2020, 12:22
Does anyone know who supplies McLaren with fuel and lubricants since their split with Petrobras?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Castrol as Renault
I’d imagine this will change again next year to Petronas with the switch to Mercedes engines?
Correct.

Fulcrum

The problem here is very simple.

Mclaren is relatively highly financially leveraged. In part because they were expanding - funded by debt. In part because of buying out the equity of Dennis - funded by debt. In part owing to the relative under performance of the racing team since 2014, and the decline in sponsorship revenue for F1 (a general problem across the grid).

Add in a financial disaster, and you have the recipe for a very bitter cake.

I'd be surprised if the British government got involved. To my knowledge they haven't got involved when other aspects of the sport have been in strife (Silverstone being the most notable example). They've also done nothing to stop British car manufacturers being purchased by rival firms from other countries, most notably Bentley, Rolls Royce, and Jaguar/Landrover, to say nothing for the dozens of automotive companies that have gone bust over the decades.

Best case is, issue more debt. Alternatively, Mclaren restructure existing debt obligations, find new equity partners or, in the extreme case, look for a buyer.

Jackles-UK

I’ve said before that I’m staggered that more mobile phone manufacturers or service providers (Vodafone, AT&T, Telefónica etc.) aren’t getting involved with F1 at the moment. With 5G coming on board around the world and the 2020 cars likely to be the fastest cars in history, the marketing almost writes itself.

I didn’t realise that it was the drinks arm of RoKit that sponsored Williams though (or even that there was a drinks arm of RoKit!) and given that McLaren already have deals with Huski & Coca Cola in place I can’t see them finding a space for them (particularly seeing as Coca Cola have just launched their own energy drink derivative). I’d much rather keep Coca Cola happy and on board than having a potential Rich Energy v2.0!

Ground Effect

Jackles-UK wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 03:31
I’ve said before that I’m staggered that more mobile phone manufacturers or service providers (Vodafone, AT&T, Telefónica etc.) aren’t getting involved with F1 at the moment. With 5G coming on board around the world and the 2020 cars likely to be the fastest cars in history, the marketing almost writes itself.

I didn’t realise that it was the drinks arm of RoKit that sponsored Williams though (or even that there was a drinks arm of RoKit!) and given that McLaren already have deals with Huski & Coca Cola in place I can’t see them finding a space for them (particularly seeing as Coca Cola have just launched their own energy drink derivative). I’d much rather keep Coca Cola happy and on board than having a potential Rich Energy v2.0!
AT&T have been with a Red Bull for a number of years now, I don’t know how big or small. From the reports I’ve seen, the initial Rokit deal with Williams for the 2019 season was with the telecoms branch. When a new contract was drawn up and extended till 2023, the drinks arm was brought on. So it remains to be seen if McLaren find Rokit credible and attractive enough to want them on board, though in this climate, every paying sponsor will probably look credible and attractive. Claire once said that Sir Frank and Ron had an agreement not to poach each other’s sponsors. Those days seem to be long gone, if at all they ever existed.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

Does anyone know if MTC and the factory are already working or not?

Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 13:34
Does anyone know if MTC and the factory are already working or not?
I think Lando and Carlos have posted stories on Instagram about going to London to visit the factory. I am not sure if it is operating on full capacity, but there should be some activity there at this moment.

ESPImperium

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 08:47
Jackles-UK wrote:

AT&T have been with a Red Bull for a number of years now, I don’t know how big or small. From the reports I’ve seen, the initial Rokit deal with Williams for the 2019 season was with the telecoms branch. When a new contract was drawn up and extended till 2023, the drinks arm was brought on. So it remains to be seen if McLaren find Rokit credible and attractive enough to want them on board, though in this climate, every paying sponsor will probably look credible and attractive. Claire once said that Sir Frank and Ron had an agreement not to poach each other’s sponsors. Those days seem to be long gone, if at all they ever existed.
Great point on the telecoms folk coming back into F1. I heard the rumour that Alonso would be bringing back Telefonica into F1 as part of his sponsor package if he lands the Renault drive. I can see ROKiT going into a team like Haas of Sauber now, maybe Sauber would be a better fit.

However, i do know that McLaren have a sportswear manufacturer lined up to manufacture their team wear, travel wear and such. That sponsor is Castore, a Liverpool based manufacturer more noted for supplying Andy Murray in tennis, and as of next year Rangers Football Club in Scotland. They are rumoured to also be taking more sports teams on as sponsorship, but only the elite or one of the elite ones in every nation and in as many different sectors of sport as they can. Mclaren would be a ideal fit for them as they are the McLaren of sportswear as their gear is top quality.

The Piraña Club is well and truly open, as sponsors air flipping between teams as if it is going out of fashion.

ScottR267

ESPImperium wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 23:04
Ground Effect wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 08:47
Jackles-UK wrote:

Great point on the telecoms folk coming back into F1. I heard the rumour that Alonso would be bringing back Telefonica into F1 as part of his sponsor package if he lands the Renault drive. I can see ROKiT going into a team like Haas of Sauber now, maybe Sauber would be a better fit.

However, i do know that McLaren have a sportswear manufacturer lined up to manufacture their team wear, travel wear and such. That sponsor is Castore, a Liverpool based manufacturer more noted for supplying Andy Murray in tennis, and as of next year Rangers Football Club in Scotland. They are rumoured to also be taking more sports teams on as sponsorship, but only the elite or one of the elite ones in every nation and in as many different sectors of sport as they can. Mclaren would be a ideal fit for them as they are the McLaren of sportswear as their gear is top quality.

The Piraña Club is well and truly open, as sponsors air flipping between teams as if it is going out of fashion.
Must agree with you both, hugely surprised there is none (that I can think at least) telecommunication sponsors in f1 at present. Back in the mid 00’s and onwards we had Telefonica with Renault and the significant sponsor of Vodafone firstly with Ferrari and then McLaren. Seems unusual they would not come to to the furore given the way of the world and 5G.

Is this a rumour you have heard about Castore and McLaren or just linking the two given that Castore are looking to increase their brand into further sports?

mwillems

Sergio Perez brings the Mexican Telecoms with him, Red Bull have AT&T, but I'm not sure there is much else.
Last edited by Steven on 03 Jun 2020, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post just above
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

proteus

You forgot about Orange which was with Arrows. It would fit perfectly on Mclaren with their current livery direction.
Last edited by Steven on 03 Jun 2020, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ScottR267

Completely forgot about Perez and his sponsors.

Orange no longer exist mate. They merged with T-Mobile and are now known as EE with a similar colour scheme to the Petronas colour on the Mercedes. Now that would be a good link up
Last edited by Steven on 03 Jun 2020, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

ScottR267 wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 19:54
proteus wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 18:36
mwillems wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 13:40

Sergio Perez brings the Mexican Telecoms with him, Red Bull have AT&T, but I'm not sure there is much else.
You forgot about Orange which was with Arrows. It would fit perfectly on Mclaren with their current livery direction.
Completely forgot about Perez and his sponsors.

Orange no longer exist mate. They merged with T-Mobile and are now known as EE with a similar colour scheme to the Petronas colour on the Mercedes. Now that would be a good link up
The UK Subsidiary of Orange was merged with EE.

The original Orange telecoms (France) is still going and is the 11th biggest telecoms operator in the world by revenue, behind Vodafone in 10th.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.