Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FDD
FDD

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Zynerji wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 17:35
wowgr8 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 17:30
FDD wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 12:04

AFAIK Sainz till now drove only SF71H at Fiorano and this car had no problems with stability with the rear.
So I do not know from where is info that Sainz struggled with rear instability, except if you are talking in general, that he prefer a car with a planted rear.
Yes, I meant generally
I would expect most drivers would want a planted rear.
Yes, but for example CL had less problems than SV when it isn't.

Sharnlarry

FDD wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 17:55
Zynerji wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 17:30

Yes, I meant generally
The reason why Sainz was beaten by Nico in 2018 was attributed to a rear instability that he couldn't deal with as well as Nico could. It almost ended his career.

JPower

Sharnlarry wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 18:03
FDD wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

The reason why Sainz was beaten by Nico in 2018 was attributed to a rear instability that he couldn't deal with as well as Nico could. It almost ended his career.
I think that's BS. Sainz and Hulk were just about dead even over the last half of the 2018 season.

The MCL35 apparently was not a paragon of stability especially when the wind was a factor.
Last edited by JPower on 23 Feb 2021, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

fiunnnnf1

Well guys, according to Mika Salo (FIA) declarations the punishment that Ferrari-powered teams had to face last year after the controversy surrounding the 2019 Ferrari engine was to limit the gasoline consumption of Ferrari engines below the consumption limit of their competitors, this penalty would end this year. For that reason we can look forward to the performance of Ferrari and its client teams this year.
source: https://soymotor.com/noticias/salo-desv ... ina-985031
Sorry if this is out of what should be posted in the SF21 speculation sub, im new :)

hollus

Welcome to the forum. The team thread (or the PU thread) would be better for stuff like that, but the car speculation threads are very anarchic anyways.
It would be out of place in the real car thread for 2021.
Rivals, not enemies.

LM10

fiunnnnf1 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 19:52
Well guys, according to Mika Salo (FIA) declarations the punishment that Ferrari-powered teams had to face last year after the controversy surrounding the 2019 Ferrari engine was to limit the gasoline consumption of Ferrari engines below the consumption limit of their competitors, this penalty would end this year. For that reason we can look forward to the performance of Ferrari and its client teams this year.
Sorry if this is out of what should be posted in the SF21 speculation sub, im new :)
Now, that’s some interesting insight. That would shed a totally different light on this matter. It would mean that Ferrari’s power disadvantage was not only down to their actual PU performance/potential.

the EDGE

LM10 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 22:05
fiunnnnf1 wrote:
Now, that’s some interesting insight. That would shed a totally different light on this matter. It would mean that Ferrari’s power disadvantage was not only down to their actual PU performance/potential.
I don’t believe a word of it. The article was based around 1 small comment he made which has probably been misinterpreted

For a start the FIA made it very clear they were unable to prove Ferrari did anything wrong

If they could, I very much doubt they would punish Ferrari in this way as it was bad for 2020 season competition as a whole, bad for the sport

Any why would Mika Salo know when Ferrari did everything they could to keep it quiet

If Ferraris poor performance was down to fia sanctions punishing them they would have said so publicly to save face

And finally why would their customers be punished? They didn’t design the engine. We’re not even sure what Ferrari did was present on their customer team cars

Sharnlarry

JPower wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 18:08
Sharnlarry wrote:
FDD wrote:

I think that's BS. Sainz and Hulk were just about dead even over the last half of the 2018 season.

The MCL35 apparently was not a paragon of stability especially when the wind was a factor.
He struggled at Renault mostly under braking due to an unstable rear and ironically the Mcl34 and 35 were described as having quite nice characteristics under braking. Feel free to have a read:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sain ... g/4308386/
In the races he was utterly demolished by Nico who outscored him 8 times despite having 5 more DNF's

JPower

Sharnlarry wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 22:31
JPower wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 18:08
Sharnlarry wrote:

He struggled at Renault mostly under braking due to an unstable rear and ironically the Mcl34 and 35 were described as having quite nice characteristics under braking. Feel free to have a read:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sain ... g/4308386/
In the races he was utterly demolished by Nico who outscored him 8 times despite having 5 more DNF's
Like I said, over the last half of the year, there wasn't much difference. They were 3-3 in the races they finished together over the last 11 races. Nico did out quali him over that span however and I think your article speaks to that.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how he deals with the Ferrari, but I don't think the SF1000's issues were the same as the RS.18's.
Last edited by JPower on 23 Feb 2021, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

LM10

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 22:18
LM10 wrote:
fiunnnnf1 wrote:
I don’t believe a word of it. The article was based around 1 small comment he made which has probably been misinterpreted

For a start the FIA made it very clear they were unable to prove Ferrari did anything wrong

If they could, I very much doubt they would punish Ferrari in this way as it was bad for 2020 season competition as a whole, bad for the sport

Any why would Mika Salo know when Ferrari did everything they could to keep it quiet

If Ferraris poor performance was down to fia sanctions punishing them they would have said so publicly to save face

And finally why would their customers be punished? They didn’t design the engine. We’re not even sure what Ferrari did was present on their customer team cars
Well, at the end it doesn’t matter anyway. Whatever made them have horrendously less juice in the PU relative to others in 2020 - it belongs to the past now.

michl420

Blackout wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 14:11
It's the same lower intake IMO
https://i.imgur.com/aipuak2.jpg
Yes you are right. I compared it to the wrong photo.

ScrewCaptain27

LM10 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 00:20
the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 22:18
LM10 wrote:

Well, at the end it doesn’t matter anyway. Whatever made them have horrendously less juice in the PU relative to others in 2020 - it belongs to the past now.
There were also rule changes regarding ERS usage and oil usage IIRC which were the true reasons for most of the performance loss. And if what Salo said is true, Ferrari should just retire. That is an absolutely unacceptable attitude.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

henry

When someone uses a comparator word such as “less” it’s meaningless unless they say what the basis of comparison is.

In this case it might mean “less than allowed in the rules” or “less than they were using before”. The former seems less likely than the latter.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

f1316

As much as I would like to believe this (and that now the ‘punishment’ is lifted, Ferrari’s engine would therefore automatically return to competitiveness) it doesn’t seem like it holds up. For starters, they talk about having to use less fuel in the race but the Ferrari was also down on power for quali. Did they also have to use less fuel for quali? How would that work?

As above, ‘less than before’ seems more likely. I suppose conceivably they could have been forced to use an even more restrictive fuel *flow* but still not sure it seems likely.

kimmmykim

The way the Salo comment is presented makes one think that in 2019 they were getting 100% out of the engine, then in 2020 they were told to turn it down to 90%, then in 2021 they'll be back to 100%. It doesn't make sense at all.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk