McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

the sidepods van definately be tighter, both in frontal area as well as the coke bottle, what do you guys think of downsloping sidepods? Now the sidepods dont slope down that much, reaching the beam wing on trailing edge level, but it would be more usefull if yuo can bring it a little bit lower. Then we havent talked about internal bodywork aerodynamics and exiting the air a la red bull as well as the lwoered crash box. I think that with the U sidepods this is even more useful as you can guide the air really cleanly to a trailing edge under the beam wing. In this case U sidepods are definately an advantage
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

conni
conni

rumour has it that they will be radical next year no sidepods as such but the rad ducts on the side of the tub like a jump jet looking head on then wings covering the side impact structures

conni

raymondu999

Sorry... what? :shock:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy

where has this rumour come from?

also please try and describe what you mean...

from what i can understand your saying the car will have no sidepods? just some openings in the tub and then some sort of wings to act as the crash structure? that's crazy rubbish imo

Holm86

I believe i can visualise what you mean connie. But i cant see how the rules will allow it?

raymondu999

So you're saying the side pods will be just very tall; sticking to the body; and it would look like an airplane? With wings coming on the left and right?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wunderkind
wunderkind

raymondu999 wrote:So you're saying the side pods will be just very tall; sticking to the body; and it would look like an airplane? With wings coming on the left and right?

Yes, The car will look like a needle with a bulge in the middle much like the fuselage of the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter from above. It will be the current U-shaped sidepods in reverse. The tall side on the inboard and the low side towards the outside where the vodafone logo resides. The car will look like those F3 cars from the 1990's with the tiny side pods. The radiators will sit vertical instead of flat and tilted like they are now. I wonder how McLaren can package all the KERS and the ancillary items in such tight confines and achieve efficient dissipation of heat from the engine. Conni mentioned wings acting as crash structures is interesting. Don't know how the FIA would see it as it would only be strong in one direction (sideways). Any force coming from an angle will snap it off.

astracrazy
astracrazy

would the u pods upside down like wings not create lift? just thinking as it would look like a plane its likely to act like one?

Edit: i always thought that they went down the route of these sidepods (U) so the air going into the sidepod was dirty air from the front wheels and then clean air could go straight to the back of the car. what would the benefit of such a design (above) bring?

Holm86

astracrazy wrote:would the u pods upside down like wings not create lift? just thinking as it would look like a plane its likely to act like one?

Its designed like the fuselage of a plane. If the fuselage alone createt lift then why would planes need wings??

astracrazy
astracrazy

Holm86 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:would the u pods upside down like wings not create lift? just thinking as it would look like a plane its likely to act like one?

Its designed like the fuselage of a plane. If the fuselage alone createt lift then why would planes need wings??
because that's not what i'm on about
conni wrote:then wings covering the side impact structures
raymondu999 wrote:it would look like an airplane? With wings coming on the left and right?
wunderkind wrote:Conni mentioned wings acting as crash structures is interesting. Don't know how the FIA would see it as it would only be strong in one direction (sideways). Any force coming from an angle will snap it off.
that's what I'm referring and simply asking about

Holm86

astracrazy wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

because that's not what i'm on about
conni wrote:then wings covering the side impact structures
raymondu999 wrote:it would look like an airplane? With wings coming on the left and right?
wunderkind wrote:Conni mentioned wings acting as crash structures is interesting. Don't know how the FIA would see it as it would only be strong in one direction (sideways). Any force coming from an angle will snap it off.
that's what I'm referring and simply asking about

I still dont get why you mean it would create lift then?? Current F1 cars have wings and they dont create lift. Its all a mater of which way you turn them.

Holm86

My guess is the MP4-27 will feature a gearbox like williams this year .... Not just becaust of Sam Michalels move.

wesley123
wesley123

i think such idesa is very usefull. With the U-sidepods you can create an continuous surface from the start of the 'U' tunnel over the gearbox under the beamwing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

timbo
timbo

Are you guys talking about something like this?

Holm86

Broken picture.