Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

S - Mercedes did the 300km; PLUS the mileage they got from Jerez days 1 2 and 3...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9

DCren wrote:Don't think so. Unless his account got hacked. Just a ridiculous concept if you ask me.
Ridiculous, but you have to admire the amount of effort. If it is spam, it's really high quality spam :D .

Otherwise, the concept is, still, ridiculous for all of the nose-hole-for-cooling-only reasons mentioned previously.

DCren

This is true. Wish I had the time and the resources to do stuff like that.
“It's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,” Michael Schumacher.

Mr.S

raymondu999 wrote:S - Mercedes did the 300km; PLUS the mileage they got from Jerez days 1 2 and 3...
I am talking about the new car. Who cares about W02 anymore. 300 km will probably be 60-65 odd laps considering Barca track is not the longest. That is pretty good. That is like 1 Full day of running in Jerez. So hopefully no HUGE teething issues,problems with hydraulics or whatever. There's a lot of complex systems in there, I hope by the first Barca test,they will be able to test all/most parts & correlate it with the Wind-tunnel & Simulator data,check on the tyres & work a bit with Set-ups.

Only 8 days left. Everyone will be doing race sims & working very hard on set-ups options & to increase performance on the last Barca tests.

raymondu999

I'd think 65. 66 laps is 305km, after all (race distance)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr.S

raymondu999 wrote:I'd think 65. 66 laps is 305km, after all (race distance)

Barca is like 4.6km/lap,pretty short. I think they will do 70+ laps at Barca considering how short. But they tested at Silverstone too. Not sure how long that is.

DCren

I'm excited for Tuesday. The 300 km they have run is enough to have done system checks and probably already know where the teething problems will be too. My guess for first day is 100 laps.
“It's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,” Michael Schumacher.

marcush.

I have to admit MGP is surprisingly shrewed and even has managed to unsettle Newey a bit..to me this is a major point as Newey seems to be all so clever with car ideas but when it comes to tactics and strategic moves he is certainly not in the top league -it´s his weak point really and maybe not a strong point of REDBull altogether.
to make Newey think twice about last year(!) and muse publically abot it is an achievement in its own right.Now we only want to see w03 fullfilling its promise.

Raptor22

issues4 wrote:we know that the flex testing has been made more stringent this year...and looking at this pic, that FW is borderline making sparks on the track surface :lol: yes it could be roll too, but this doesnt seem to look like anything we saw last year...with the exception of Ferrari's extreme flex BS they did just to get the FIA to change the rule..everybody knows they were bending their front wing into the asphalt for political reasons :twisted: ...and they succeeded in the end

I think, with further examination of the photo, you will fin that the car is running with its inside wheels on the kerb hence the illusion of extreme roll o as some insisit on calling it, "Wing flexing"... #-o

DCren

marcush. wrote:I have to admit MGP is surprisingly shrewed and even has managed to unsettle Newey a bit..to me this is a major point as Newey seems to be all so clever with car ideas but when it comes to tactics and strategic moves he is certainly not in the top league -it´s his weak point really and maybe not a strong point of REDBull altogether.
to make Newey think twice about last year(!) and muse publically abot it is an achievement in its own right.Now we only want to see w03 fullfilling its promise.
I agree with you totally. Red Bull shouldn't let him have as much control as he seems to have. With Brawn everybody knows he is the mastermind not the master designer. He pulled Benetton and Ferrari together and now has the pieces together at Merc to win the Championship again. I think Newey knows this too.
Last edited by DCren on 20 Feb 2012, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.

DAMNINice

Raptor22 wrote:
issues4 wrote:we know that the flex testing has been made more stringent this year...and looking at this pic, that FW is borderline making sparks on the track surface :lol: yes it could be roll too, but this doesnt seem to look like anything we saw last year...with the exception of Ferrari's extreme flex BS they did just to get the FIA to change the rule..everybody knows they were bending their front wing into the asphalt for political reasons :twisted: ...and they succeeded in the end

I think, with further examination of the photo, you will fin that the car is running with its inside wheels on the kerb hence the illusion of extreme roll o as some insisit on calling it, "Wing flexing"... #-o

Okay... thats one way you could think about this thing... but could you tell me where the kerb is in this picture which leads to this illusion of bad roll because of the FW position??

To tell you... nowhere!!
So either this car rolls alot or there is something with this FW going on we don`t know / understand at the moment!
REal men play with twins!

Hail22

Could be some form of new chassis design rather then just a wing ;)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

CHT
CHT

are they running a duo inlet side pod design?

Websta

You guys have over hyped the W03 to a ridiculous level! I can't see them suddenly winning championships and trumping RBR/MCL after heading the midfield last year. Calm down a bit. I would love to see it happen, but it seems very unlikely. Even with this blown FW, so what? So they can run a very slightly lower front ride height and have a few extra km/h on the straights - something they have had for a while anyway. What was the other secret weapon they are "hiding"?

DCren

But then again, nobody thought Brawn, who bought out the failed Honda team and showed up late in testing would win the Championship either.