Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wjpbill
wjpbill

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Well, congratulations everyone.

Past the 200 and still going.

Let's hope tomorrow is great and Merc finally have a car that MSC can do something wonderful with!

=D> :P :D

bhall
bhall

FuzZeE wrote:What is Mercury system? This system used to W03?
The Mercury System™ is a proprietary thread inflation technique that was developed in-house here at f1technical.net.

Richard
Richard

bhallg2k wrote:
FuzZeE wrote:What is Mercury system? This system used to W03?
The Mercury System™ is a thread inflation technique that's proprietary to f1technical.net.

... and unique to speculative threads to keep us amused during the cold dark winter hiatus.

Of course the actual car threads will be based on objective evidence [-o<

DCren

I don't know why they would have run their true package on a day they had to know all the teams would be there. We'll have to wait and see but pretty sure there thay have several different solutions on hand. :wink:
“It's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,” Michael Schumacher.

clipsy1H

damn in few hours w03 owning! (so sad w02 was most beautiful car in last seasons :D)

202 pages! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

pocketmoon

hardingfv32 wrote: I would claim that the value of the exhaust flow decreases rapidly the farther you get from the exhaust outlet. So why move away from the items you are trying to influence, wings, etc.?
Brian
Guess it depends on the area you're aiming to blow. If you're blowing some sculpted break ducts then that's a small window compared to blowing the wings or suspension elements. And those rear suspension elements look very broad and heat resistant :)

And a +1 from ScarbsF1 on Twitter :)
Last edited by pocketmoon on 20 Feb 2012, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor22
Raptor22

The Ferrari F2012 and Mercedes W03 side pods are similar in that they are all present, mounted either side of the engine and allegedly hold radiators

pocketmoon

hardingfv32 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I wonder if we will see a different exhaust position tomorrow?
'So they built a exhaust system that cost as much a most compact street cars, repackaged the items
around the system, and fabbed new body work' for this one shake down test? Does that not defeat the purpose of the shake down?

Brian
Well Ferrari built a exhaust system that cost as much two compact street cars had to take a hacksaw to it :)

FrukostScones

The_Truth wrote:
snoop1050 wrote:Image

anyone know of a similar angle photo of the redbull?

The McLaren looks much tighter at the gearbox area.
how can you see that?
there is a big fat shadow on the floor of the Mercedes and the angle is not the same
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

pocketmoon

sejamesxy wrote:Hey Guys MP4 27 V AMG F1 W03 Car so this was best I could find.This is actually the real W03

[img]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... _n.jpg[img]
It just struck me...

THE W03 REALLY IS A SILVER ARROW :)
Last edited by Richard on 21 Feb 2012, 00:10, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Well, it has been a long and exhausting thread. A real winner :)
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Lurk

FrukostScones wrote:no free floating beam wing if I see correctly....
why cant they build a gearbox and crash box what makes it possible...
Damn, that is a drawback!
http://i.imgur.com/E9Son.jpg

The beam wing seems to be mounted quite low, in the middle of the crashbox. Below the upper arm mounting points at least, which is quite unusual.

Gearbox exits are way ahead wheel center line. Driveshafts have a big angle. Was it the same on W02?

This car has a lot of tricks: sidepods, beam wing, front wing & its endplates.. I really like it.
Last edited by Lurk on 21 Feb 2012, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

Raptor22 wrote:The Ferrari F2012 and Mercedes W03 side pods are similar in that they are all present, mounted either side of the engine and allegedly hold radiators
They also look a lot alike. As do the front wings and the airbox. So what? I don't know why you guys are so touchy about that. Different doesn't imply better.

FrukostScones

beam wing is better in view here, but still hard to see how it is mounted and whether it is split etc...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

pocketmoon wrote:Well Ferrari built a exhaust system that cost as much two compact street cars had to take a hacksaw to it
Keep your eyes opening on Ebay, etc. and you can actually buy a set of these exhaust systems for the price of a set of street tires. I have two sets mounted as art work in the living room. You never see Ferrari stuff though.

Brian