Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

pocketmoon wrote:Guess it depends on the area you're aiming to blow. If you're blowing some sculpted break ducts then that's a small window compared to blowing the wings or suspension elements. And those rear suspension elements look very broad and heat resistant
We have been discussing the interaction with control arms on the RB thread. Are you implicating that the control arms could be directing the exhaust flow?

I am up for challenging that position.

Brian

RichardF1

Mercedes gone down the Red Bull style front wing fashion? Also, has it got a similar r-cascade like Mclaren or Red Bull, or is it the step change that changes the light? My eyes aren't the best... #-o
WWKD- What would Kimi do?

pocketmoon

hardingfv32 wrote:
pocketmoon wrote:Guess it depends on the area you're aiming to blow. If you're blowing some sculpted break ducts then that's a small window compared to blowing the wings or suspension elements. And those rear suspension elements look very broad and heat resistant
We have been discussing the interaction with control arms on the RB thread. Are you implicating that the control arms could be directing the exhaust flow?

I am up for challenging that position.

Brian
If they're in the way they must be having an effect on the flow. I'll pop over to RB forum for a look...

Gridlock

hardingfv32 wrote: I am up for challenging that position.

Brian
You want arguments, second door on the left.

I think the most intriguing part of the suspension arm/exhaust flow interaction, one that I alluded to in the RB thread, is that suspension arms move with speed relative to the exhaust.

Goran2812

nose doesn't seem to be as wide as the rest of the field...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

PlatinumZealot

Lurk wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:no free floating beam wing if I see correctly....
why cant they build a gearbox and crash box what makes it possible...
Damn, that is a drawback!
http://i.imgur.com/E9Son.jpg

The beam wing seems to be mounted quite low, in the middle of the crashbox. Below the upper arm mounting points at least, which is quite unusual.

Gearbox exits are way ahead wheel center line. Driveshafts have a big angle. Was it the same on W02?

This car has a lot of tricks: sidepods, beam wing, front wing & its endplates.. I really like it.
Good Point. The Gearbox is actually very similar to Williams I think. The coverings hide it a bit, but the the drive shaft angle is steep and the Rear a-arms are higher than the beam wing to less disturb the flow under the beam wing. very smart solutions.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

hardingfv32

Gridlock wrote:[I think the most intriguing part of the suspension arm/exhaust flow interaction, one that I alluded to in the RB thread, is that suspension arms move with speed relative to the exhaust.
Please expand on the significance.

Brian

Ferraripilot

This car and Mclaren's are the only two to meet my expectations for 2012. RB did nothing very different, didn't have to. And the Ferrari appears to be an exercise in what's possible in F1 design rather than what appears to make sense anyway. I could be wrong but I believe Ferrari just yielded their third place position to Mercedes. The W03 back end combined with the incredibly low sidepods are the class of the field IMO. Red Bull and Macca have sort of a high-ish sidepod that drapes down very quickly but I would suspect that design would have more flow attachment issues.

FrukostScones

n smikle wrote:
Lurk wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:no free floating beam wing if I see correctly....
why cant they build a gearbox and crash box what makes it possible...
Damn, that is a drawback!
http://i.imgur.com/E9Son.jpg

The beam wing seems to be mounted quite low, in the middle of the crashbox. Below the upper arm mounting points at least, which is quite unusual.

Gearbox exits are way ahead wheel center line. Driveshafts have a big angle. Was it the same on W02?

This car has a lot of tricks: sidepods, beam wing, front wing & its endplates.. I really like it.
Good Point. The Gearbox is actually very similar to Williams I think. The coverings hide it a bit, but the the drive shaft angle is steep and the Rear a-arms are higher than the beam wing to less disturb the flow under the beam wing. very smart solutions.
to me it looks more like the halfshaft is tilted backwards than upwards....
we will see... and compare. In 7hours we will hopefully have hi-res pictures...
Last edited by FrukostScones on 21 Feb 2012, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

DCren

Half shafts seem to be angled up from this pic.
โ€œIt's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,โ€ Michael Schumacher.

Gridlock

hardingfv32 wrote:
Gridlock wrote:[I think the most intriguing part of the suspension arm/exhaust flow interaction, one that I alluded to in the RB thread, is that suspension arms move with speed relative to the exhaust.

Brian
I said it was intriguing, not significant. Generally I think exhaust treatment this year has been given way too much focus; it's not an EBD, it can't be used as an EBD curtain, and most damningly the clear intent (and therefore enforcement) of the rules is to make the exhaust plume as aerodynamically neutral as possible.

Ganxxta

I do not have the big technical knowledge some others here do, so excuse me if its a silly question, but if the exhaust stay in the position this far forward, is it good for the power of the engine?

I mean I read that the EBD forced long exhaust pipes that lead to less power, so is a short pipe like this good for merc in terms of pure engine power?

Websta

This isn't specific to the W03, but for how many seasons are we going to see these noses? This isn't a good image for F1, so how long will it be before McLaren style noses are mandatory?

Hail22

Websta wrote:This isn't specific to the W03, but for how many seasons are we going to see these noses? This isn't a good image for F1, so how long will it be before McLaren style noses are mandatory?

Hopefully due to sponsorship/event criticism they will only last for this year...its horrible!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

PlatinumZealot

Gridlock wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian
I said it was intriguing, not significant. Generally I think exhaust treatment this year has been given way too much focus; it's not an EBD, it can't be used as an EBD curtain, and most damningly the clear intent (and therefore enforcement) of the rules is to make the exhaust plume as aerodynamically neutral as possible.
You are saying that as the speed of the car increases and hence the downforce - the suspension compresses, moving the A-arm into an upward position, whereby the exhaust is tuned to take advantange of the A-arm in this position? Makes sense. But then there comes the instance of body roll.. but it still should work as you want the more DF on the compressed side of the suspension.. so yes - very plausible if true.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™