CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

Is this the race where they bring the raft of upgrades? Did anyone see any?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ajdavison2

New floor, diffuser and front wing apparently

Gary

"Caterham targeting the Toro Rosso's at Silverstone" it says here.

Question is, the Toro Rosso's what? #-o

Crucial_Xtreme

n smikle wrote:Is this the race where they bring the raft of upgrades? Did anyone see any?
On this weeks episode of The Flying Lap it sounded like they had a big update coming in the next race or two, including new Williams/Ferrari style brake ducts. Seems like I remember hearing it was going to be rather large but don't quote me.

There is a neat story about what the team did in Valencia to measure tyre deflection. John Iley stopped at a florist store before free practice and purchased a piece of foam. The foam was then taped to the suspension close to the tyre and would be rubbed down so they could measure the deflection for the new Williams style brake ducts. See picture below

Nando

Interesting comments from Kova. He said they expect the full upgrade package to give around half a second to a second.
If it works then they are really in the hunt for STR.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Huntresa

Nando wrote:Interesting comments from Kova. He said they expect the full upgrade package to give around half a second to a second.
If it works then they are really in the hunt for STR.
Id say they would be beyond STR looking at Valencia.

Forza

Team said they will have big update package for this race (new rear bodywork, new exhaust, FW and RW).

GrizzleBoy

Am I the only one who was hearing some pretty heavy off throttle sounds from the Caterham earlier on when it was lapping by itself?

It sounded very Red Bullish.

Owen.C93

GrizzleBoy wrote:Am I the only one who was hearing some pretty heavy off throttle sounds from the Caterham earlier on when it was lapping by itself?

Caterham was by far the loudest car off throttle. Only when they ran the upgraded exhaust though, with their old system it sounded normal. That's a pretty significant point for the idea of off throttle maps coming back somehow. RBR was quite loud but pretty similar to McLaren. Mercedes were pretty quiet.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

adrianjordan

It was mentioned in the commentary on BBC that Caterham have brought a heavily revised rear this weekend.

I'm not that familiar with this car, so would someone be kind enough to highlight the areas that have changed and what has changed?

Many thanks
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Owen.C93

adrianjordan wrote:It was mentioned in the commentary on BBC that Caterham have brought a heavily revised rear this weekend.

I'm not that familiar with this car, so would someone be kind enough to highlight the areas that have changed and what has changed?

Many thanks
Plenty of pictures were just posted. Read further backwards for previous versions, that's probably a lot easier than me typing out what's changed.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Forza

Owen.C93 wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:Am I the only one who was hearing some pretty heavy off throttle sounds from the Caterham earlier on when it was lapping by itself?

Caterham was by far the loudest car off throttle. Only when they ran the upgraded exhaust though, with their old system it sounded normal. That's a pretty significant point for the idea of off throttle maps coming back somehow. RBR was quite loud but pretty similar to McLaren. Mercedes were pretty quiet.
Thierry Salvi of RSF1 mentioned that they've optimised their engine maps with the new exhaust solution.
Thierry Salvi, Renault Sport F1 Support Leader: "Silverstone is a power circuit, one where the drivers should spend up to 64% of the lap on full throttle in qualifying. Obviously the weather conditions today meant that the challenges for us on the engine side change, and we have to work very closely with the team’s engineers to decide what gear ratios will give us maximum performance in what could be a dry qualifying session, but a wet race.

"Today we have also been working with the team on optimising engine performance with the updates that have been brought to this race. The main area of focus for us is the revised exhausts, a version of which were first tried at the test in Mugello but which have been revised and refined since that test and require a series of new engine maps that help the driver optimise all the performance characteristics of the engine around this circuit. The immediate feedback we have had from both drivers is positive so, despite the weather today, this has been another good day for us and the whole team."
Edit: Better picture of the new exhaust/sidepods

mx_tifoso

For those who are keeping track of chassis and engine mileage, is there any apparent reason for Petrov's engine failure? High mileage, involved in previous accident, etc.

In an RSF1 article, they mention that "the top of the engine failed first", but that the exact reason is yet to be identified.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

are they new wings?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏