HRT F112 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will HRT be in Q2 in 2012?

Yes - at the start of the Season
5%
Yes - by Germany
7%
No - not in 2012
54%
Never!
34%

Total votes: 307

Holm86

Re: HRT F112 Cosworth

Aint they allowed to supply three teams?? And they allready have special permission to supply a fourth?

cbbcisace

Exactly they would need to apply again and im sure I read and interview with Renault to say the more teams they supply the better.

Holm86

What is the point of regulating a maximum number of teams you are allowed to supply if you can supply half the grid on special permission anyways.

cbbcisace

http://www.hispaniaracing.com/news.php?nid=607

Team deny that Caterham are helping with the F112 and will be ready for testing in February.

Petroltorque

You'd have to question the thinking of HRT's new management. HRT's present performance is chassis limited, not engine limited. I doubt there's more than 10bhp difference between the Cosworth and the Renault. In addition the Renault engine deal will set you back €20 million a year and that's just for the engine. That's almost half their budget. As has been posted earlier HRT would be better served improving their chassis before looking to change supplier.

cbbcisace

€20 million is that right? - I though someone in the region of €6 - €8 million a year.

HRT are will be using a completely new chassis next year, guess we will just have to see..

Petroltorque

Renault Official release stated that their turn over on engines was 140 million euros of which they get 60 million euros in payments from their customers. I can see why Renault would want as many customers as possible as it reduces their expenditure, but the other manufacturers can't be happy. The 6-8 million euro applies only to Cosworth. They are providing the cost capped engine.

ESPImperium

Petroltorque wrote:You'd have to question the thinking of HRT's new management. HRT's present performance is chassis limited, not engine limited. I doubt there's more than 10bhp difference between the Cosworth and the Renault. In addition the Renault engine deal will set you back €20 million a year and that's just for the engine. That's almost half their budget. As has been posted earlier HRT would be better served improving their chassis before looking to change supplier.
Same could have been said about Team Lotus on 2010 to 2011. However getting a RS27-2012 and a Red Bull Technology 2009 transmission has given them more options at the rear end of the car with the pull rod suspension and a engine that requires less cooling than the Cosworth. However what we are arging about is the Chicken Vs Egg here.

I belive that Hispania should focus on getting a car that has at least 4,000Km to 5,000km testing in it and having two complete cars ready for the first FP1 iof the year, ready to get 750Km on each chassis in the first weekend of the season. Its about distance for the first 4 events of the year as that will give them a idea on what path their development needs to take for 2012. This is the only way they will improve their performance relitive to 2009 and 2010.

They have contenuity with the Williams Grand Prix Engineering transmission and the Cosworth CA2012 powerplant for 2012 with the 2011 Williams Hybrid KERS as well. They will also be running the 2012 WIlliams transmission with an adapted case as the Williams cases will be optomised for the Renault RS27 power-plants, Hispania will be running a diffrent case for the CA2012 power-plants. The only diffrence in the cases will be the mounting joints and bolt posistions at the bulkhead. This is advantagous for both parties as Williams are getting double the data on the gearbox, and Hispania are getting the latest technology in their boxes on their cars. The KERS could be a headache they could do without, but the 0.35s average performance gain is worth it as at some tracks this will be more and some will be less.

Im cautiosisly optomistic for the 2012 Hispania chassis. Im giving it a 1.3 to 1.7 second gain to the year end performance as long as it gets the testing distance under it.

Petroltorque

Lotus changed engine supply primarily to delink itself from the rubbish Xtrac box and its woeful hydraulics. They had to pay off Cosworth and Pay Renault for a new engine supply. I seriously doubt HRT have that level of finance.
I'm not so optmistic about next years charge either. Eckelaert and Schlosse are an as yet unproven design team and this is their first car.

cbbcisace

The design team that HRT have got together consist of people from Toyota, Super Aguri, Honda.

I wouldn't be too worried about the background of the people in Germany

ESP, any more news on the relocation, is this complete now?

ESPImperium

Relocation will be complete for the start of the European season, its about 75% to 80%, the completion will be done when the design office moves from Germany to Valencia.

Hispania have been very quite about their relocation plans, quite rightly, we know how vocal Marussia have been about their relocation from Manor GPs factory to the old Ascari factory.

Shrieker

They'll be using the same tub and to %99 extent the same car. That's what we saw going from 2010 to '11. They don't have the money (even with knew owners) so I'm not holding my breath for the new car. I'll be mightily surprised if they prove me wrong.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

cbbcisace

Not the same tub being used its been fully redesigned.

From the HRT website:-

@eder_vazquez Eder Vazquez
What parts of the F111 will be used on the F112?
Probably only the steering wheel and even that will be slightly modified because of the KERS, because we need an extra function on the steering wheel for it.

@eduardocrew_6 Luis E Ceballos
Is there already a design for the F112?
Of course there is. The model of the car exists but it is still in evolution regarding aero bits: front wing, rear wing, barge boards, floor, diffusers…they’re still in evolution. The monocoque and nose are fixed but the purely aero elements can be built in 3-4 weeks so we can wait until end of December for them. There is a model but the final product will be seen towards the end of December.

@ivanF1 ivanF1
What are the main characteristics of the 2012 car and what will change with respect to this year’s model?
The main area on which we have worked is the downforce of the car because there is big deficit in comparison to a standard F1 car. Downforce is what pushes the car to the track, increases the grip of the tyres, makes the car brake later, go faster through corners, etc. The biggest performance deficit is from aero and that is what we’re working on. We have also made changes to the monocoque such as making it higher in the front and narrower in the rear. We will also work on adapting the rear suspension to the Pirelli tyres, in order to achieve better balance between low speed and high speed corners.
Thanks to everyone for sending in your questions, here are Jacky Eeckelaert’ answers:

@ivanF1 ivanF1
Will the F112 use Williams’ 2011 gearbox with such a low differential? Or will it continue to use the 2010 gearbox?
We will use the Williams 2012 gearbox but adapted to the Cosworth engine because in 2012 Williams will use a Renault engine.

tok-tokkie

^^^^
Well that post says sticking with Cosworth. Getting the latest Williams gearbox. Tub & nose made - narrower rear. Their target has been better cornering through mechanical redesign. Aero will follow in January as it is vital for downforce so they want to develop it as far as possible before construction since construction is quick. Seems like they have the plan that is being suggested here. Will it work?

cbbcisace

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... hance.html

Some new info about the F112 on the article.