Marussia MR01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: Marussia MR01 Cosworth

can't see it

ESPImperium

Aero rakes on chassis bulkhead and on sidepod undercut.

Im expecting a major upgrade later on in the season. Symmonds is really trying to puch the team and close the gap to Caterham.

TzeiTzei

They were strangely off the pace in Bahrain. They lost a lot of speed after friday, and Glock especially had a lot of problems with handling. Then both cars had trouble with the air valve system of the engine. Looking forward to updates...

JMN
JMN

beelsebob wrote:Hah, I never thought I'd see an F1 team using tell tales as measuring devices these days.
I imagine it's a pretty good way of comparing track and wind tunnel behaviour. At the very least it's damn cost effective. When you think about it, those tell tales actually offer something the pitot tubes doesn't offer directly: flow direction. I'll leave it unsaid how they go about actually measuring anything from them besides watching a shitload of video.

LotusF1

ESPImperium wrote:
TzeiTzei wrote:
Polarbear wrote:Is it just me, or do Marussia look like they are finally making progress on Caterham?
The gap between them is closing race by race, and looking at the progression so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they were leading the "new" teams by quite some margin by the end of the season.
I might be dreaming a bit, but I think Marussia scraping a point is not totally out of the question this year...
Yes, you are dreaming. :lol: I think it would be an amazing achievement to catch Caterham during the season, but right now it's looking quite good. I'm interested to see how well their updates will work. If the car only went to the wind tunnell as late as february, then i think there might a lot more to come once they start putting on the updates.
They are closer than they have ever been to Caterham over tha past 12-14 months. However they are still arround a second a lap slower per lap at best.

They will be within seven to eight tenths of Caterham for the seasons end, however this will still be a lap or so down of the target of being on the same lap as Caterham.

They need KERS, no ifs and buts, Caterham are using the Red Bull system for 2011, whitch is worth at most 4 tenths of a second a lap, however its free lap time for no extra weight.

Marussia have made progress, however this year to them will be very much like 2011 for Team Lotus/Caterham, i am not counting out HRT as they are a new start team to me this year, however they are putting in place decent staff in the correct areas, not proven staff ill aggree but staff that could pull a surprise with a workable and useable car that may have more to come. And from their improvements so far, they are more of a threat to Marussia than Marussia to Caterham.

However if Marussia and HRT can get onto and stay on the same lap as Caterham they are improving.

However the proof af a good car is how much laptime you can gain from the first full update package in season. If each of the teams can bolt on 1.5% in lap time, they will start to worry the established mid pack. And 1.5% is roughly 1.381 seconds to my raw quali pace data. Whitch will see the Toro Rossos really as they arnt qualifying well.

Im looking at 2013 for Marussia to catch up ane be where they should be on the F1 grid, with a established TD in Pat Symmonds if he isnt pinched by Ferrari.
The stuff you write makes me laugh all the time. ALL THE TIME.

It takes courage to write what you write. All I can say is don't ever go to a F1 interview saying what you say. 90% of the time you are wrong.

marcush.

marussia seems to suffer from weak in the rearend of the car.funny enough they seem to be unsure if it is the trackrod or forward wishbone attachment points that cause the problem... :roll:

TzeiTzei

marcush. wrote:marussia seems to suffer from weak in the rearend of the car.funny enough they seem to be unsure if it is the trackrod or forward wishbone attachment points that cause the problem... :roll:
I read about that too from amus. I wonder if they identified the problem in Mugello? It sure destroyed Glock's race in Bahrain.

marcush.

the point was made it is possibly a fatigue issue with that one gearbox.... and it was not changed to avoid the relegation of 5 spots in the grid... #-o ...When Schumacher could afford this ...why should Timo who would have lost practically nothing not change the box? ...media babble....they have only two boxes ,do they?

PlatinumZealot

LotusF1 wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:
They are closer than they have ever been to Caterham over tha past 12-14 months. However they are still arround a second a lap slower per lap at best.

They will be within seven to eight tenths of Caterham for the seasons end, however this will still be a lap or so down of the target of being on the same lap as Caterham.

They need KERS, no ifs and buts, Caterham are using the Red Bull system for 2011, whitch is worth at most 4 tenths of a second a lap, however its free lap time for no extra weight.

Marussia have made progress, however this year to them will be very much like 2011 for Team Lotus/Caterham, i am not counting out HRT as they are a new start team to me this year, however they are putting in place decent staff in the correct areas, not proven staff ill aggree but staff that could pull a surprise with a workable and useable car that may have more to come. And from their improvements so far, they are more of a threat to Marussia than Marussia to Caterham.

However if Marussia and HRT can get onto and stay on the same lap as Caterham they are improving.

However the proof af a good car is how much laptime you can gain from the first full update package in season. If each of the teams can bolt on 1.5% in lap time, they will start to worry the established mid pack. And 1.5% is roughly 1.381 seconds to my raw quali pace data. Whitch will see the Toro Rossos really as they arnt qualifying well.

Im looking at 2013 for Marussia to catch up ane be where they should be on the F1 grid, with a established TD in Pat Symmonds if he isnt pinched by Ferrari.
The stuff you write makes me laugh all the time. ALL THE TIME.

It takes courage to write what you write. All I can say is don't ever go to a F1 interview saying what you say. 90% of the time you are wrong.
ESP has a pretty good track record here on f1technical; though some times he may not be 100% correct, his posts are interesting. It is up to you now to do your research and come back with some material to argue the points he posts.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

marcush.

Kers is a huge investment and if it´s really worth 4tenths of a second ...my own calculation is as follows:

you got not even 7 seconds to deploy the kers per lap .So what can be gained ?

if you decide to deploy kers in one single shot on a 800m straight at the corner exit of a slow corner it´s worth around 2.5tenths of a second till you reach the kers time limit -but you have roghly 10kmh more speed .So the rest of the straight is the same power but you have a head start with your speed so you gain here as well.
To cut it short I figure for a 800m straight coming from a slow corner (80kmh)
you might be able to wrestle 3tenth of time using KERS.

Maybe adding several shots over a lap or using it to boost corner entry speed in an area where you were power ,not grip restricted may gain you a bit more.

so it´s a matter of recources spent for gain to be made.

Considering the original aim of Marelli was :supplying the whole shebang for 1 Mill EUR ..it´s 330K per tenth in time gain ...
I wonder if there was not better ways to reduce the 3 to 4 seconds gap towards the front.

Marussia claimed last year their car was top notch in terms of mechanical grip and all their deficit was to be accountable towards AERO...
Would´t it be wiser to work on your big deficits instead of investing in something you can simply add when you see I need those 4 teenths of a second to be safely in q2?

At this time 4 tenths will change really nothing in their world...apart from beating HRT -but that´s really a simple calc...

Paul

KERS isn't really free performance, you still have to make it work and integrate into your car. It is a good way to gain some time when other developments routes are relatively maxed out (big investments yield little results), but I doubt this car is anywhere near that, unless the team are utterly incompetent in finding aero/mechanical grip.

techF1LES

Monaco | Rear face of Marussia's front wing

Source: auto-motor-und-sport.de

PlatinumZealot

Needs more strakes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

marcush.

Paul wrote:KERS isn't really free performance, you still have to make it work and integrate into your car. It is a good way to gain some time when other developments routes are relatively maxed out (big investments yield little results), but I doubt this car is anywhere near that, unless the team are utterly incompetent in finding aero/mechanical grip.
a marrussia CANNOT be maxed out by definition except of bang for buck maybe..as Wirth really sold the harware to virgin for bargain prices,..sure we do not know how much they invest these days .
I´m pretty sure the development deficits are blatantly clear to the team (don´t forget Mclaren people are there to guide and advise ..so they can easily pinpoint were to look for performance.)

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:Needs more strakes.
They have 2 - just the same as all the other teams I've seen. Their height is slightly masked by the angle of the nose in the picture though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法