Marussia MR01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Marussia MR-03 Cosworth

Coefficient wrote:
wesley123 wrote:These numbers are never correct because f1 teams dont hand out the numbers.
Mercedes increased their budget as well as workforce to bring on the fight, if that pays off is a whole different chapter.

I certainly wouldnt doubt ESP's info and/or source and they seem fairly correct to me. However I do not fully understand the 900 people at Ferrari, although these are most likely the engine guys included.

Anyone can write to Companies House and request a full set of accounts for any company in the country, F1 Teams included, that's a fact.
If it is that easy then you have to explain me why every source claims different numbers.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Coefficient
Coefficient

wesley123 wrote:
Coefficient wrote:
wesley123 wrote:These numbers are never correct because f1 teams dont hand out the numbers.
Mercedes increased their budget as well as workforce to bring on the fight, if that pays off is a whole different chapter.

I certainly wouldnt doubt ESP's info and/or source and they seem fairly correct to me. However I do not fully understand the 900 people at Ferrari, although these are most likely the engine guys included.

Anyone can write to Companies House and request a full set of accounts for any company in the country, F1 Teams included, that's a fact.
If it is that easy then you have to explain me why every source claims different numbers.
Well I would suggest the answer to your question is obvious. No-one has actually bothered to write to Companies House and are merely speculating.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

MIKEY_!

I must have missed the reason why this team are a no show for the first test and now will not have the new car ready for next test either. Can someone enlighten me?

350matt
350matt

uummmm

the new car isn't ready yet.....?

Gridlock

3rd year established and still last-minuting it... I get that this year is a new one for Marussia but you have to say, looking at Manor's history, this is unwelcome and somewhat unexpected.

FW17

MIKEY_! wrote:I must have missed the reason why this team are a no show for the first test and now will not have the new car ready for next test either. Can someone enlighten me?
New design department was to be set up after parting ways with Writh Research which had previously developed the cars with an all CFD development

New department setup led by pad symonds took time, new sub contractors were to be found, hence will show up only for 3rd test, hence skipped the first test

Polarbear
Polarbear

Gridlock wrote:3rd year established and still last-minuting it... I get that this year is a new one for Marussia but you have to say, looking at Manor's history, this is unwelcome and somewhat unexpected.
Marussia are effectively a start up team from this year. They have carried over basically nothing.

Pat Symonds even said himself that he has never produced a car which has so little carry over.

Add in the fact that Marussia didn't part with Wirth until July, means that the small team had 5 months to design, manufacture and test a totally new car.

I think we can cut them a little slack - don't you?

Lurk

5 month is quite normal for a small team like Virgin to have a car running on tracks from scratch.

Minardi designed & built some of their cars on 4 months, lotus T127 was designed & built in 5 months...

Polarbear
Polarbear

Marussia have no manufacturing facilities - so everything has to be outsourced, at extra cost. The time it takes to get quotes, choose a supplier and pay is significant in my opinion.

Also, you cannot compare Lotus (Caterham) to Marussia. Marussia have 14 permanent designers - Caterham have at least twice that number.

Most teams will have been looking at the 2012 car from April 2011 or even earlier - with this in mind, Marussia have lost 3 months. Not so bad to be 3 weeks behind...

Lurk

Are you sure Catheram had twice that number on November 2009?
They had nothing either, they outsourced their production too and still built the T127 in 5 months.

Only big teams (RBR, McLaren, Ferrari, MGP, Lotus) start their design before March. Middle field teams start working on the next car in April-May and the smallest usually not before July or August.

Marussia don't have 3 months to catch. They just are where they should be given their ressources. Otherwise their dev program is really in a mess.

Polarbear
Polarbear

Lurk wrote:Are you sure Catheram had twice that number on November 2009?
They had nothing either, they outsourced their production too and still built the T127 in 5 months.

Only big teams (RBR, McLaren, Ferrari, MGP, Lotus) start their design before March. Middle field teams start working on the next car in April-May and the smallest usually not before July or August.

Marussia don't have 3 months to catch. They just are where they should be given their ressources. Otherwise their dev program is really in a mess.
At least we agree on that - they are not doing too badly considering their resources.

I just hate the way people seem to be bashing Marussia at the moment. The project started with the best intentions under Wirth, and now they are doing a good job with what they have got.

Anyone have any news on their launch date/format? Will they be doing a launch at TV centre like last year?

marcush.
marcush.

what is really astonishing:since Nick wirths departure not really much has improved...the update devised by Wirth was put aside only to be introduced later in the season ....Marussia had all sorts of issues in the second half of the season and now they seem to be unable to produce the car in time..I´m not impressed and really fail to see how Nick was reasponsible for all that went wrong in the last three years...
I think they have axed the wrong guy.

Gridlock

To be clear, I have nothing but respect for them and their efforts, it's just a real shame that they're going to have such an uphill struggle when they're at least perceived as an established team.

Was eye opening to me that HRT only have 3 trucks for Euro GPs, I think the McLaren Brand Centre is made of 4...

marcush.
marcush.

again,same as HRT cutting the ropes is the easy part but a small outfit has to really plan meticulously when doing things.You just cannot afford to drop the ball.
For both teams the price for a hard cut is just too high as both effectively lose more than a year and when your history is just 3 years that´s almost shooting yourself ...
I think Marussia would have made a good step forward sticking with Wirth last year AND validating his work with a tunel programme...

Polarbear
Polarbear

Wasn't the problem that Wirth didn't want to use a tunnel programme?

In order to be able to run in the tunnel, they had to take Wirth out of the equation.

Also, I think having a marketing dept in London, a race team in Sheffield and a design team in Banbury was never going to work - having everyone under one roof now allows them to make gains quicker, simply by talking rather than sending e-mails or making a phone call.

They should do well - just having a few teething problems IMO.