Marussia MR01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Petroltorque

Re: Marussia MR-03 Cosworth

The problem was that Wirth Does not believe in windtunnels. This was the guy who sold a windtunnel to Prost GP that was not fit for F1 purpose.

raymondu999

Yep. He believes a well calibrated CFD kit beats a windtunnel for accuracy any day.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93

In case you were wondering how they apply flo-vis.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PNSD

raymondu999 wrote:Yep. He believes a well calibrated CFD kit beats a windtunnel for accuracy any day.
It's an issue of money, and application.

Example, there is a reason Airbus and Boeing pay well in excess of £100,000 per day for use of some wind tunnel wind tunnel facilities. 1) their wind tunnels don't provide the desirable results for accuracy and precision, and 2) they have no choice. As an airframe manufacturer, for potential customers you need to give them values of Cd that will allow them to accurately calculate fuel costs for a given engine. I dont need to stress the consequences of getting that figure wrong, the cost of which is larger, than large. I said application, and in this case the application of CFD is to accurately give you Cd, primarily viscous drag. Surely that's an oxymoron?

To cut it short, if you had enough money you would take the wind tunnel any day. With the available instrumentation these days CFD has to go a long way to kill off the tunnel.

Wirth's solutions are cost effective, and maybe in turn performance effective but not for a race car where 1 tenth can mean Q2 or Q1 :wink:

tok-tokkie

Owen.C93 wrote:In case you were wondering how they apply flo-vis.
I was. Thanks for that. On the McLaren there was an arc of heavy flo-viz on the floor from below the exhaust to in front of the rear wheel. I assumed it was where the flo-viz had been painted on to see where it would flow. Others were implying that that heavy colouring showed where the exhaust had been blowing - saying the exhaust had been turned right down onto the floor (where was the main airflow around the sidepod going?). What was confusing was the entire floor was covered in flo-viz so it had also been coming from around the radiator inlet area.

pocketmoon

Well lucky me gets a visit to Marussia next week through work! We're a partner although what I do is a million miles from anything F1 related :)

Hope to get a peak at the MR-03 and a cup of tea at least :D

dice782

=D> Yes pictures will be appreciated

pitlaneimmigrant

What area is it you work in pocketmoon?

N12ck

Budding F1 Engineer

ESPImperium

N12ck wrote:http://en.espnf1.com/marussia/motorspor ... 71361.html

Marussia to have a smooth nose :D
Is that any surprise that they have gone this way when 35% of their workforce comes from McLaren Applied Technology.

So its The 10 Vs The 2 when it comes to nose design.

Also, can the Mods change the thread title to read MR01 for the thread title as its not the MR-03, Source: http://www.marussiaf1team.com/car/519/i ... oming-soon

Richard

Re: Marussia MR01 Cosworth

ESP - Done. In future its easier if you click the "Report Post" if you want to alert the mods to anything like that.

hrt
hrt

Does anyone knows if Marussia passed the CT, if they didnt what are they waiting for?

Polarbear

ESPImperium wrote:
N12ck wrote:http://en.espnf1.com/marussia/motorspor ... 71361.html

Marussia to have a smooth nose :D
Is that any surprise that they have gone this way when 35% of their workforce comes from McLaren Applied Technology.

So its The 10 Vs The 2 when it comes to nose design.

Also, can the Mods change the thread title to read MR01 for the thread title as its not the MR-03, Source: http://www.marussiaf1team.com/car/519/i ... oming-soon
What source do you have to say that 35% of Marussia's workforce is from Mclaren?

It is a load of rubbish.

Marussia have a few people from Mclaren visiting the factory once or twice a week tops, and that is the God's honest truth...

TzeiTzei

hrt wrote:Does anyone knows if Marussia passed the CT, if they didnt what are they waiting for?
There haven't been any news about it so i guess they have. Bad news tend to get more publicity (like with HRT).

Crucial_Xtreme

Marussia has failed crash test again. Will not make it to the second Barcelona test. Embarrasing.