Toyota launch TF105

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Steven
Owner

Toyota launch TF105

Well here we are at last, the first launch of a 2005 F1 contender: The TF105

There isn't really much special about this car, apart that it resembles a lot its predecessor and that it applies to the new regulations.

They besically include:
- 5 cm higher front wing
- Downforce creating elements of the rear wing moved 15cm to the front
- Maximum height of 125mm of the diffuser
- The underbody can no longer make it to the rear tyre, but instead must have a space that is 400mm from the rear axle and 200mm in the transversal section. In image 5, the lighter grey shaded area displays where this space will be on the TF105.

However, some things I noticed:
- the presented car lacks barge boards
- there is a small horizontal flap at each side of the monocoque between the front wheels
- the car has very nicely curved chimneys (probably the favourite thing to tune for Mike Gascoyne, he seems to make a habit of it ;) )

Well so far my quick look
Any thoughts from you guys?

Timstr

Not seen before, but there is a connection running from the middle section of the rear wing to engine cover fin. http://www.f1total.com/bilder/2005/prae ... a/z058.jpg
That's about the only innovation I can see on the outside.

Monstrobolaxa

With the higher front wing the car looks so ugly :(

The flip ups in front of the rear wheels look quite bigger then previously and extend a lot more to the front...

Irvingthien

I am dissapointed. I was expecting something a little bit different since the is the first true car that Mike Gasgoyne is involved in. After all this money spent, I expect them to do better than in 04.

Steven
Owner

well idd.. I have to get used to the regulation changes too, the high front wing doesn't bother me too much since it is kind of a tendency during the last changes, it had always to do with raising the front wing.

Now what I really thinks looks strange are the RWEPs. They got stretched out last year, but now the plates are moved forward, so we see like a rear wing which could in fact do with an end plate that is half the size of what it is now.

The connection of at the middle of the rear wing is true idd, I missed it the first time :)

Ciwai

Okay. 20/20 hindsight and all, it seems pretty clear now that toyota pulled a fast one. When they introduced this, their so-called 2005 contender, it was just the 04 updated to meet the new regs while the actual car was being developed. Gascoyne the old jokester even said something to the effect that with their gargantuous resources, they were able to update the introduced car into a B spec updated version all before the season opener in aus. Who says big fat corporate teams don't have a sense of humor.

West

Well, this is the first complete car under his direction, so obviously a big step has had to be made.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements